Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/25 20:35:51 UTC

[VOTE] Release SDO Java version 1.0-incubating

Please review and vote to release the 1.0-incubating distribution of Tuscany
SDO for Java

The release candidate RC3 for Tuscany Java SDO archive distribution files
are posted at [1]
The release audit tool (rat) files and associated exceptions are posted at
[1] also
The maven repository artifacts are posted in a staging repository [2]
 <http://people.apache.org/%7Ekelvingoodson/sdo_java/M3/RC2/>The tag for the
source code is at [3]

The release notes for this release are attached below

Changes to this release candidate from the RC2 candidate

The SDO API jar file includes LICENSE, NOTICE and DISCLAIMER files
The LICENSE and NOTICE files in other projects have been cleaned up to
remove unnecessary references and to conform to current Apache standards
The artifacts in the staging repo have been signed
The sample artifacts have been removed from the staging repo
The test classes in the tools project have been regenerated
The tools pom has been commented to avoid confusion over the asm dependency

The use of the 0.8-SNAPSHOT version of the maven-osgi-plugin has not been
altered as there is no update to this plugin

It looks OK to me so here's my +1

Regards, Kelvin.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~kelvingoodson/sdo_java/1.0-incubating/RC3/
[2] http://people.apache.org/~kelvingoodson/repo/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/
[3]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sdo/1.0-incubating/

Service Data Objects (SDO) Java version 1.0-incubating Release Notes

The Service Data Objects (SDO) API simplifies and unifies Service Oriented
Architecture
(SOA) data access and code.

SDO offers both a static and a dynamic programming model for data access.
Choosing to generate static classes to repreent your data model gives you
the ease and intuitive nature of the static programming model,  backed up
by the power of the dynamic model too.

SDO also offers the capacity to track changes to data. If a graph of data
includes a change summary property, then additions, modifications, and
deletions
made to the graph within the scope of that change summary will be recorded.

What's new in this Release
==========================

Apache Tuscany's SDO Java Release 1.0-incubating is the first such release
with full coverage of the SDO 2.1 specification.

In addition to adding the few remaining SDO 2.1 features not included in the
1.0-incubating-beta1 release and fixing a number of bugs (see below for
detail)
there are a number of new features relating to XML serialization, and new
support for handling dynamic derivation from static classes.  There has also
been significant focus on making the SDO sample programs more accessible.

For previous revision history, take a look at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sdo/1.0-incubating-beta1/sdo/distribution/RELEASE_NOTES.txt

SDO Java 1.0-incubating is a superset of previous SDO
1.0-incubating-beta1release.
Anything in 1.0-incubating-beta1 is also in 1.0-incubating, but
1.0-incubating contains
features and bugfixes not present in 1.0-incubating-beta1 release.

Downloading
===========

Please visit  http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sdo-java-releases.html

Binary Artifact Changes
=======================

PLEASE NOTE that
Since the 1.0-incubating-beta release the following binary artifacts have
been renamed

The maven groupId of the SDO API binary artifact has changed from "commonj"
to "org.apache.tuscany.sdo"

The maven artifactId for the SDO API binary artifact has changed from "
sdo-api-r2.1" to "tuscany-sdo-api-r2.1"

The jar file containing the SDO API has a new "tuscany-" prefix,  so what
was ..
sdo-api-r2.1-1.0-incubating-beta1.jar in the beta1 release becomes
tuscany-sdo-api-r2.1-1.0-incubating.jar in this release.

In addition a new maven artifact and jar has appeared.

maven groupId=org.apache.tuscany.sdo
maven artifactId=tuscany-sdo-lib
jar archive=tuscany-sdo-lib-1.0-incubating

This artifact provides a cleear distinction between Tuscany SDO
implementation,  and the Tuscany
API which extends the SDO API.  See the javadoc contained in the binary
release for details of
the function provded by this artifact.

New Features and Fixes
======================

For more detail on these fixes and features please see ...
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310210&fixfor=12312521&resolution=1&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=issuetype&sorter/order=DESC

New Feature
    TUSCANY-1213    SDO 2.1 feature: DataHelper.convert()
    TUSCANY-1212    SDO 2.1 feature: Property.isNullable() and
Property.isOpenContent()
    TUSCANY-1214    SDO 2.1 feature: XMLHelper.load(Source) and
XMLHelper.save(Result)
    TUSCANY-1197    Sequence composition
    TUSCANY-1317    Provide a way to set default XML load options to be used
during Java deserialization
Improvement
    TUSCANY-1350    Reorganise SDO build / distribution layout
    TUSCANY-1459    Remove package registry delegation to
EPackage.Registry.INSTANCE
    TUSCANY-1110    Improve the performance of TypeHelperImpl.getType(Class)
    TUSCANY-1391    Provide capability to load and save XML with unknown
features
    TUSCANY-1284    Manifest version number in Java SDO Impl and Tools jars
    TUSCANY-513    Implement support for dynamic subclasses of statically
generated types
    TUSCANY-1233    Enhance SDO static codegen (XSD2Java) to support
multiple namespaces in a single pass.
Bug
    TUSCANY-1143    Generated code should separate metadata creation from
registration to permit proper scoping
    TUSCANY-1428    XSD2JavaGenerator.GeneratePackage information is invalid
    TUSCANY-1429    Using default helper context got ClassCastException due
to T-1317
    TUSCANY-1446    Java SDO samples don't compile with JDK 1.4.2
    TUSCANY-1457    Unable to code gen SDOModel.xsd
    TUSCANY-1430    SDO codegen is needs to use internal property numbers
for inverseAdd, inverseRemove, and notify calls
    TUSCANY-1207    TCCL-specific EcoreBuilders must be used by default
XSDHelper
    TUSCANY-1127    ObtainingDataGraphFromXml, and maybe other samples,
incorrectly accessing xsd:any content
    TUSCANY-1254    Codegen on a type inheriting from a type in different
namespace will result in mis-mapping the feature IDs
    TUSCANY-993    Problems with sdoModelExtended.xsd
    TUSCANY-1223    XSD base64Binary type mapping to wrong SDO type
    TUSCANY-1251    Code generated from xsd:base64Binary types fail to
compile
    TUSCANY-1333    [Java SDO] ClassCastException when defining schema file
without .xsd extension
    TUSCANY-1410    DataHelperImpl.toCalendar() with null locale should use
default locale
    TUSCANY-1324    DeserializationNoSchemaTestCase took a long time to run
    TUSCANY-1369    EMF 2.2.2 Dependencies from ISU are Stale
    TUSCANY-1352    NPE in
SDOXSDEcoreBuilder.XSDSchemaAdapterFactoryImpl.SchemaLocator.locateSchema
    TUSCANY-1325    Property value with xsd:QName type is not deserialized
and serialized correctly
    TUSCANY-1250    Static SDO generator generates an erroneous factory
class, when inheritance and different Java packages are used
    TUSCANY-578    Exceptions thrown by SDO runtime not the same as defined
in the spec
    TUSCANY-1421    XMLHelper.save on root object of DataGraph gives
serialization of href="root.xml#/"
    TUSCANY-1436    TypeHelper.getType(java.util.List.class) throws
ClassCastException
    TUSCANY-1385    Duplicate namespace was serialized when SDO QName
property value containing existing namespace
    TUSCANY-1122    TypeConversionTestCase fails for JDK 1.4.2
    TUSCANY-1408    Cannot programmatically define a SDO property matching
to XSD element
    TUSCANY-1393    ClassCastException saving codegen-based DataGraph with
ChangeSummary containing an xsd:int
    TUSCANY-1305    Changesummary of datagraph using static interfaces.

Re: [VOTE] Release SDO Java version 1.0-incubating

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
+1

All looks great to me now.

   ...ant

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
You are going to hate me...

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
The source distro contains the samples readme in
distribution/src/main/release/bin/samples/README.  If you have the source
distribution you should follow the instructions in the BUILDING file.
You'll need to do that to be able to run the samples.  By the time you have
done that the README for the samples is then in the samples folder where you
want it.  Putting the README for the samples in the source distribuition
alongside the sample code would not be appropriate as it would be
misleading,

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
Raymond,
  Use of non snapshot plugins for the cases you show caused the build to
fail.  The maven osgi plugin does not have a non snapshot version available.
It has been superceded by the maven bundle plugin.  I do not believe this is
a significant risk for the release.  I investigated both cases and decided
that the neither of these issues presented stop ship issues. At the moment I

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the release from me

Paul

On 7/28/07, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are you saying the released version of maven-bundle-plugin will fail the
> build? Can we check with the Apache Felix project?
>
> Since it's going to be a 1.0 release for SDO, I just don't want to see any
> build failures due to the SNAPSHOT dependency. If the best option is to
> leave it as is, then I'm fine with the release.
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [VOTE] Release SDO Java version 1.0-incubating

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
+1 from me ; )

Adriano Crestani

Posted by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kelvin,

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fuhwei Lwo <fu...@bricemedia.com>.
Hi Kelvin,

+1 from me.

I have downloaded the RC3, run the samples, and reviewed the Java doc. Everything looks fine to me. Thanks for your effort on this.

Regards,

Fuhwei Lwo

kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> wrote: Please review and vote to release the 1.0-incubating distribution of Tuscany

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1. It appears to have everything in it that I expected and the samples
ran fine for me.

Quite an impressive list of new features and bug fixes :-) Thanks to
everyone that helped. I think the project momentum is really starting to
pick up.

Frank.

"kelvin goodson" <ke...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/25/2007 02:35:51
PM: