Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Celso Fernandes <fe...@zertico.com> on 2013/07/18 02:51:06 UTC

Generating OS Templates

I know its an novice question, but I haven't found in the
documentation the best way to get this.

I'd like to generate template for CentOS 6.4 / Debian 7.1 / Ubuntu
12.04 with xenserver tools installed and password enabled.

What is the best way to generate this templates? Any documentation or
tutorial some could point would help very much.

Thank you,
Celso Fernandes

www.zertico.com

+55 35 4105-0922
Av. BPS, 1303 - PCE - PCTI - Sala 10

Re: Changing the Guest Network IP Range in a POD

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
Awesome! great to hear.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM, <JS...@h2l.com> wrote:

> Thanks, that did it!
>

> From:   Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>
> Date:   07/18/2013 02:46 PM
> Subject:        Re: Changing the Guest Network IP Range in a POD
>

> is this for a basic zone? also dependent on version, what one can do is
> from infrastructure:
> navigate to zone -> physical network -> guest network and here's the
> tricky
> part (assuming no vm's are deployed) add a non overlapping range, delete
> the original range, and possibly readd a segment of the deleted range.
> hope
> that helps.
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM, <JS...@h2l.com> wrote:
>
> > The web interface allows you to change the Pod's IP Range for the
> Reserved
> > System IPs in the 'Details' tab.   I can view, but not modify the Guest
> > Network IP Range, under the 'IP Allocations' tab in the Pod?  I would
> like
> > to change this address range.  How do I go about doing this?  Where can
> > make the change?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeremy

Re: Changing the Guest Network IP Range in a POD

Posted by JS...@h2l.com.
Thanks, that did it!

From:   Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>
Date:   07/18/2013 02:46 PM
Subject:        Re: Changing the Guest Network IP Range in a POD

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi, the problem you saw probably happened because Ubuntu cannot be
installed in PV mode from ISO on XenServer.  A PV mode Ubuntu
installation must be network-based, which is not possible with
CloudStack.  Your workaround is the recommended solution: perform a
network-based installation of Ubuntu on a standalone XenServer host and
import the resulting VHD into CloudStack as a template.

Best regards,
Kirk

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Carlos Reategui <ca...@reategui.com>.

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Celso Fernandes <fe...@zertico.com>.
inline reply

Celso Fernandes

www.zertico.com

+55 35 4105-0922
Av. BPS, 1303 - PCE - PCTI - Sala 10

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id> wrote:
> Hi Sanjay and all,
>
> What if we don't have any VMs running with the mentioned OS types yet? How
> can we prepare the first template?

The best way I did this way was install in a standalone XenServer
using XenCenter then export the VHD image. I believe that doing the
same procedure with console via console proxy system vm can be ok too
(but I haven't done this way - In XenServer we have a more "automated"
way to create machines).

> Do I need to download the ISO, attach to VM, and then convert to template?
> Is it possible?

You need to attach an ISO from secondary storage to the machine,
install then convert to template.

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id>.
Hi Sanjay and all,

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Cristian Latapiat <la...@gmail.com>.
Ola Celso,

Acredito que este processo pode ser optimizado , mas requer um pouco de
conhecimento nas ferramentas
de gerencia de configuraĆ§Ć£o .

Att

Cristian Latapiat

--
Cristian Latapiat

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
Yes you can use vhd-util for xen and qcow2 for kvm. See the example in
tools/appliance/build.sh. This is a veewee+Vagrant definition of the
systemvm built from Debian ISO.

This works only with Vagrant(1.0) and not 1.1+. For 1.1 + you can
check the tool by mitchellh (packer)

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by James Weir <ja...@usharesoft.com>.
You can also check out: www.usharesoft.com that provides a platform for
creating templates.
It has a free online platform that you can use.

Disclaimer: I work for this company.

Regards
James

--
James Weir
Chief Technology Officer

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:03:31PM -0300, Celso Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Prasanna,
>
> Didn't understand where you puppet provisioning is absent, on packer?

yes - you can use a shell script though to do a puppet apply. i fall
back on vagrant instead since vagrant already can provision using
puppet.

$ packer build template.json
$ vagrant add template.box template
$ vagrant up/vagrant provision (rinse/repeat)

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

RE: Generating OS Templates

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Consider using box-grinder, while project is no longer maintained, it works very well and fairly simple.

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Celso Fernandes <fe...@zertico.com>.
Hi Prasanna,

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
Agreed this is something I'd like to see in our test pipeline too and
integrated into our internal clouds. Managing multiple templates can
be messy. Once I finish off some 4.2 related stuff I'll look at
implementing a CloudStack provider for packer in Go. Right now puppet
provisioning is absent as well making it a bit difficult to configure
the templates with a puppetmaster. So perhaps by the time we get to
this, there will be support in packer

--
Prasanna.,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 09:53:10PM +0000, Brian Galura wrote:
> We have an automated process for deploying code onto existing hosts,
> it would be cool to have it just build an image instead.

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

RE: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Brian Galura <Br...@citrix.com>.

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Celso Fernandes <fe...@zertico.com>.

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Brian Galura <Br...@citrix.com>.
Yes I opened that issue with packer. Would love to see that support and use it with a continuous integration automation pipeline.

On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:11, "Prasanna Santhanam" <ts...@apache.org> wrote:

Celso,

There's an issue on the packer [1] github that you may be interested in if
you plan on building support for CS. I've been playing around with
packer for the last few weeks and find it quite stable for a version 0.1
tool and since it's by the Vagrant author himself I think it'll get
good traction in the future.

[1] https://github.com/mitchellh/packer/issues/76

--
Prasanna.,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:40:02AM -0300, Celso Fernandes wrote:
> Christian,
> I've been using veewee to generate vagrant boxes in a while, for me is
> much better to develop something based on this and automate to import
> on Cloudstack instead of develop something from scratch.
>
> Prasanna,
> Thank you for the point.. Packer seems a really cool to do this task,
> I'm gonna try to make a plugin for XenServer, once it worked I try
> something specific to CloudStack, thank you for point me into this
> direction.
>
> Thank you all for replies,
> Celso Fernandes
>
> www.zertico.com
>
> +55 35 4105-0922
> Av. BPS, 1303 - PCE - PCTI - Sala 10
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> wrote:
>> There are no providers for CloudStack yet in these projects
>> (vagrant/packer). Only for AWS, vmware fusion, vbox and possibly
>> openstack. So you'll have to convert to vhd manually and then import
>> as template and then muck around with the networking a little bit to
>> get it right.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:11:04AM -0300, Celso Fernandes wrote:
>>> Hi Sanjay, thank you for your reply,
>>>
>>> I thought were some more automated process like Veewee does for
>>> Vagrant boxes. Is there any way to convert Vagrant boxes to XenServer
>>> ones? So would be much more simpler to automate the process. I'm gonna
>>> search for some info and test, then publish any result I got.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Celso Fernandes
>>>
>>> www.zertico.com
>>>
>>> +55 35 4105-0922
>>> Av. BPS, 1303 - PCE - PCTI - Sala 10

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Celso Fernandes <fe...@zertico.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> wrote:
> Celso,
>
> There's an issue on the packer [1] github that you may be interested in if
> you plan on building support for CS. I've been playing around with
> packer for the last few weeks and find it quite stable for a version 0.1
> tool and since it's by the Vagrant author himself I think it'll get
> good traction in the future.
>
> [1] https://github.com/mitchellh/packer/issues/76

Yeah, I'm looking at packer, the only problem its written in Go, I
though its in Ruby like Vagrant, so this can make things slower for
me, need to learn Go first ;)

Thank you,
Celso

Re: Generating OS Templates

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
Celso,

There's an issue on the packer [1] github that you may be interested in if
you plan on building support for CS. I've been playing around with
packer for the last few weeks and find it quite stable for a version 0.1
tool and since it's by the Vagrant author himself I think it'll get
good traction in the future.

[1] https://github.com/mitchellh/packer/issues/76

--
Prasanna.,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:40:02AM -0300, Celso Fernandes wrote:
> Christian,
> I've been using veewee to generate vagrant boxes in a while, for me is
> much better to develop something based on this and automate to import
> on Cloudstack instead of develop something from scratch.
>
> Prasanna,
> Thank you for the point.. Packer seems a really cool to do this task,
> I'm gonna try to make a plugin for XenServer, once it worked I try
> something specific to CloudStack, thank you for point me into this
> direction.
>
> Thank you all for replies,
> Celso Fernandes
>
> www.zertico.com
>
> +55 35 4105-0922
> Av. BPS, 1303 - PCE - PCTI - Sala 10
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> wrote:
> > There are no providers for CloudStack yet in these projects
> > (vagrant/packer). Only for AWS, vmware fusion, vbox and possibly
> > openstack. So you'll have to convert to vhd manually and then import
> > as template and then muck around with the networking a little bit to
> > get it right.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:11:04AM -0300, Celso Fernandes wrote:
> >> Hi Sanjay, thank you for your reply,
> >>
> >> I thought were some more automated process like Veewee does for
> >> Vagrant boxes. Is there any way to convert Vagrant boxes to XenServer
> >> ones? So would be much more simpler to automate the process. I'm gonna
> >> search for some info and test, then publish any result I got.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Celso Fernandes
> >>
> >> www.zertico.com
> >>
> >> +55 35 4105-0922