Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com> on 2016/06/02 18:13:12 UTC

Dependency on OpenSSL

Hello,

Per Justin's suggestion (below) I wanted to ask whether it is okay for our
project to have a dependency on OpenSSL.
OpenSSL is working on changing licensing[1], but is currently seems to be
Category X.

By dynamically linking with OpenSSL libraries, we will not bundle it with
our convenience binaries.
I see from the export page[2] that several other projects also use
OpenSSL, but some of those usages seem to be optional.
Can we dynamically link to and thereby depend on OpenSSL, or do we need to
somehow make this optional?

Thanks,
--Steve

[1] https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2015/08/01/cla/
[2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> As far as I can tell, the 4-clause BSD license is not listed under any
> "category" -- it's not in "A", "B", or "X", it is simply not covered by
> <http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved>.

As far as I can that that is the case and it seems like it should be regarded as category X, but open to other opinions.

There several places where it stated / discussed it’s not allowed. e.g. [1]

It’s not on the list of OSI approved licenses [2] " The four clause license has not been approved by OSI”, and probably fails the criteria here. [3]

The issue here is that it’s being bundled / statically linked not that the project uses it.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-185
2. https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
3. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#criteria

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Interestingly, while we seem to be discussing BSD 4-clause, I discovered
> that, according to Wikipedia [1], OpenSSL is under Apache 1.0, not BSD
> 4-clause, and when comparing OpenSSL's license [2] against this copy of
> Apache 1.0 [3], I'd have to agree.

I believe it’s actually both if you look at [1] you see that some of it is licensed under Apache 1.0 (or similar), but the original SSLeay code is under a 4 clause BSD.

Both Apache 1.0 and 4 clause BSD license contain the troublesome advising clause.

> Even more interestingly, Apache 1.0 doesn't seem to be listed in [4] under
> Category A, B, or X either.  Is there some past ruling about Apache 1.0?

This has been discussed before but no clear answer was given other than both are probably category X. See [2][3] and also [4]. I also noted this as as issue a little while back [5].

BTW There is one Apache project that looks like it contains code licensed under Apache 1.0. And yep you guessed it, it’s Apache Flex. [6] It contains code from an old version of the Apache Velocity project (2007 or so?).

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/LICENSE
2. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200803.mbox/%3c2d12b2f00803200818s4a35d080ifac13904a1737e4@mail.gmail.com%3e
3. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200909.mbox/%3C4AAE8B8C.6090704@intertwingly.net%3E
4. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201005.mbox/%3CAANLkTinc479YpEvDqP7_nDVY8grrbksK2PGAMMF2Vkl_@mail.gmail.com%3E
5. https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201602.mbox/%3C57491FBA-FDDB-4009-8D00-8F3A9A2B324A@classsoftware.com%3E
6. https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/eec643c453a3a1bec6ea3352b0c94ec81d36b2d6/modules/thirdparty/velocity/test/texen/license.txt

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
*head-explode*

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 3:59 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, OpenSSL is a dependency of a number of Apache projects and
>> has long been vetted as acceptable by the board, and all of the Legal VP's
>> throughout our evolution.
>>
>> You can suddenly decide to reclassify the scope of advertising clauses,
>> but we will be disabling major components of the Apache httpd, Tomcat,
>> and a number of other very visible projects in reaction to such a decision.
>> Somehow, both our organization and our many consumers have found their
>> way through this minefield up to this point, 15 years later.
>
> I would +1 a one-off exception for OpenSSL. I still think 4-clause BSD
> belongs in category X.

Do you mean explicitly listing this exception on our web page?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 3:59 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> FWIW, OpenSSL is a dependency of a number of Apache projects and
> has long been vetted as acceptable by the board, and all of the Legal VP's
> throughout our evolution.
>
> You can suddenly decide to reclassify the scope of advertising clauses,
> but we will be disabling major components of the Apache httpd, Tomcat,
> and a number of other very visible projects in reaction to such a decision.
> Somehow, both our organization and our many consumers have found their
> way through this minefield up to this point, 15 years later.

I would +1 a one-off exception for OpenSSL. I still think 4-clause BSD
belongs in category X.

Marvin Humphrey

RE: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I would like very much to return to the original focused concern of this thread: The license requirements of OpenSSL as a dependency from an Apache project.  I am already investigating how Apache OpenOffice may need to adjust its handling of an apparent dependency with regard to LICENSE and NOTICE.

Here are the facts that I am concerned about.

 1. From <https://www.openssl.org/>, the following statement is made.  Note the use of "APACHE-STYLE"

	"The OpenSSL toolkit is licensed under an Apache-style license,
	Which basically means that you are free to get and use it for
	commercial and non-commercial purposes subject to some simple
	license conditions."

	Not unlike what could be said of the Apache License [any version]

  2. At <https://www.openssl.org/source/license.txt> there is a "dual license" text for two licenses, an OpenSSL License and an Orinal SSLeay License.  The texts are each distinct in literal form from an Apache License.

  2.1 Familiar bits

  * They each include copyright notices.  They each apply
    "redistribution" to mean with or without modification.

  * They each require retention of those notices, the statements of
    conditions, and disclaimers in redistributions.

  * They each require provision of the same in an effective manner
    in conjunction with binary redistributions.

  2.2 Notification, Attribution, Acknowledgment bits

  * OpenSSL License requires a specific acknowledgment in "All
    advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software."
    Open SSLeay License has the condition and a different specific
    acknowledgment.

  * OpenSSL License requires redistribution in any form to whatsoever
    to retain a specific acknowledgement statement.

  * OpenSSL License has a final statement of acknowledgment that is
    not literally embraced under the stated conditions.

  * Original SSLeay License is not so well-structured and gives notice
    of copyright by two individuals.  Notices in code are explicitly
    not removable.

  * Original SSLeay License requires attribution to named individuals
    under various conditions.

  * Original SSLeay License has a tacked-on condition that appears
    intended to ward off downsteam relicensing, were there such a
    thing.

  3. Initial Take-Away.  UNDER CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTABLE DEPENDENCY,

  * The license acceptable for redistribution as a dependency would
    surely appear in the LICENSE file because it must be
    provided and others are not alternatives.

  * The NOTICE file would include a clear but minimal statement
    that satisfies the conditions of the license and the ASF purpose
    for NOTICE.

  * I have no idea what the conditions of acceptable dependency might
    be.  It would be nice were there at least practicable Category B
    conditions.

 - Dennis

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

RE: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Jim Wright <ji...@oracle.com>.
I'll discuss with Mishi and confirm back to the group.

 Regards,
  Jim

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Yea, turns out the contributor misinterpreted that as a deprecated license
for an older version of the product. We'll include both in our LICENSE.
Thanks for the catch!

-Todd

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Jim Wright <ji...@oracle.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Jim Wright <ji...@oracle.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
> [...]
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com <ma...@jagunet.com>> wrote:
>> BSD-4 should be Cat-X *except* for those projects, such as OpenSSL, etc
>> that have agreed that NOTICE is sufficient.
>>
>> So look back to CC-BY Attribution 3.0 license…
>
> clr: I assume you mean CC-SA here
>
> Correct, thanks.
>
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa <http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa>
>> If You Distribute, or Publicly Perform the Work or any Adaptations or Collections, You must, unless a request has been made pursuant to Section 4(a), keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g., a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution ("Attribution Parties") in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; (ii) the title of the Work if supplied; (iii) to the extent reasonably practicable, the URI, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and (iv) , consistent with Ssection 3(b), in the case of an Adaptation, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Adaptation (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). The credit required by this Section 4(c) may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Adaptation or Collection, at a minimum such credit will appear, if a credit for all contributing authors of the Adaptation or Collection appears, then as part of these credits and in a manner at least as prominent as the credits for the other contributing authors. For the avoidance of doubt, You may only use the credit required by this Section for the purpose of attribution in the manner set out above and, by exercising Your rights under this License, You may not implicitly or explicitly assert or imply any connection with, sponsorship or endorsement by the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties, as appropriate, of You or Your use of the Work, without the separate, express prior written permission of the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties.
>> I don't read that NOTICE alone can satisfy this requirement,
>
> clr: I do read it that having an Apache NOTICE satisfies the requirement (assuming that the copyright notices are also available)
>
> I take issue with "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"... which
> is very similar to how many Vendors *choose* (are not required) to brand their
> ASF-derived software as "Foo Thing, based on Apache Bar”.

We are talking about an unmodified work which does not fall into the category of an Adaptation which is the subject of the “Screenplay based on…” reference..

> This would seem
> to require such an attribution, not only in advertising copy, but in the actual name
> of a forked work or description of the combined work.
>
> I do note that we don't actually permit *forks* of CC-SA Attribution works, only
> to bundle or depend upon them.

And that is why Adaptation doesn’t fit.

Craig

>> it is yet another
>> Advertising clause by another name.  E.g. if a project ships "Ray's Magnificent
>> Random Number Generator" (RMRNG), and it was licensed as CREATIVE
>> COMMONS ATTRIBUTION-SHARE ALIKE WORKS- then it isn't enough to
>
>> simply credit the author, but that the name of the original work and attribution
>> of the author must sit alongside other titles and credits, including in some
>> cases, the actual name of the ASF project, right?
>
> clr: The first line in the NOTICE file is attribution to the Apache project. Subsequent lines in the NOTICE file that reference the CC-BY work are “at least as prominent”.
>
> That applies to a source tarball, what about the other materials (e.g. download
> link on the downloads page of said combined binary, or project descriptive text?)

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>
wrote:

> [...]

>    by this Section for the purpose of attribution in the manner set out above
>    and, by exercising Your rights under this License, You may not implicitly
>    or explicitly assert or imply any connection with, sponsorship or
>    endorsement by the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties, as
>    appropriate, of You or Your use of the Work, without the separate, express
>    prior written permission of the Original Author, Licensor and/or
>    Attribution Parties.
>
> I don't read that NOTICE alone can satisfy this requirement,
>

> clr: I *do* read it that having an Apache NOTICE satisfies the
> requirement (assuming that the copyright notices are also available)

I take issue with "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"...
which
is very similar to how many Vendors *choose* (are not required) to brand
ASF-derived software as "Foo Thing, based on Apache Bar". This would seem

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Bill,

> [...]

> I don't read that NOTICE alone can satisfy this requirement,

clr: I do read it that having an Apache NOTICE satisfies the requirement (assuming that the copyright notices are also available)

> it is yet another
> Advertising clause by another name.  E.g. if a project ships "Ray's Magnificent
> Random Number Generator" (RMRNG), and it was licensed as CREATIVE
> COMMONS ATTRIBUTION-SHARE ALIKE WORKS- then it isn't enough to

> simply credit the author, but that the name of the original work and attribution
> of the author must sit alongside other titles and credits, including in some
> cases, the actual name of the ASF project, right?

clr: The first line in the NOTICE file is attribution to the Apache project. Subsequent lines in the NOTICE file that reference the CC-BY work are “at least as prominent”.

clr: There is no "advertising clause" as I understand the phrase is used. NOTICE and Advertising are two separate concepts.

> If we are going to adopt the policy cited above on all but explicitly exempted
> BSD-4 dependencies, it would seem this license needs to follow the same
> policy, for the very same reasons?

Craig

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> BSD-4 should be Cat-X *except* for those projects, such as OpenSSL, etc
> that have agreed that NOTICE is sufficient.

So look back to CC-BY Attribution 3.0 license...

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa

   1. If You Distribute, or Publicly Perform the Work or any Adaptations or
[...]

I don't read that NOTICE alone can satisfy this requirement, it is yet

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Roy, then Justin:

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
I did not mean OpenSSL, specifically. I meant the things we have included in our own packages that used to be under original BSD or AL 1.0.

....Roy

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
All Advertising clauses are odious... that's why the OSS development world
went from copying them word for word to building new licensed that forgo
such a stupid requirement.

Unlike copy left, for example, the combined work is still able to be
applied in any scenario the developer wishes, which is the ASF's definition
of freedom. We never suggested the user has the freedom from observing all
applicable license terms, our own included. So this is obviously (to most
of us here) not category X.

You raise good questions but I hope you know the answer to 1) below, if
you've survived this long at this forum.

Question 3) is legitimate (there is no AL 1, but there are AL 1.0 and 1.1
which should both be clarified.)

Question 2) is more complex and well worth raising.  Where the ASF does not
ship a binary of OpenSSL, e.g. SVN project or APR project, it doesn't fall
on us to observe the license terms of something we don't distribute.

Where projects do choose to ship the binaries from ASF projects with
OpenSSL, it is clearly a more complex issue and guidance from ASF Legal
would certainly be appropriate.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Jun 2, 2016, at 6:59 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>

> FWIW, OpenSSL is a dependency of a number of Apache projects and
> has long been vetted as acceptable by the board, and all of the Legal VP's
> throughout our evolution.

Including today's

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > the specific license in question."
> >
> > BSD with no Advertising clause is Category "A", but the presence
> > of the clause triggers our Category "B" case.
>
> As far as I can tell, the 4-clause BSD license is not listed under any
> "category" -- it's not in "A", "B", or "X", it is simply not covered by
> <http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved>.
>
> Upon closer review, I lean towards adding it to "category X".  The
> advertising
> clause is uniquely onerous.
>
>     3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> software
>        must display the following acknowledgement:
>        This product includes software developed by the <organization>.
>
> Compare that against the the third clause of Apache 1.1, which is quite
> flexible about where acknowledgments must appear, as opposed to the "All
> advertising materials" requirement in 4-clause BSD...
>
>     3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
>        if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
>           "This product includes software developed by the
>            Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
>        Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
>        if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.
>
> ... or against the notification requirements from section 3 of the Mozilla
> Public License 2.0, which are also flexible:
>
>     https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/2.0/
>
>     [...] You must inform recipients that the Source Code Form of the
> Covered
>     Software is governed by the terms of this License, and how they can
> obtain
>     a copy of this License. [...]
>
>     If You distribute Covered Software in Executable Form then:
>
>     a.  such Covered Software must also be made available in Source Code
> Form,
>         as described in Section 3.1, and You must inform recipients of the
>         Executable Form how they can obtain a copy of such Source Code
> Form by
>         reasonable means in a timely manner [...]
>
> Both Apache 1.1 and Mozilla 2.0 can be satisfied for binary distributions
> by
> the propagation of the contents of NOTICE to
> META-INF/"About"-box/end-user-documentation/etc. -- but that's *not* true
> for
> 4-clause BSD, which insists on propagation to advertising materials.

FWIW, OpenSSL is a dependency of a number of Apache projects and
has long been vetted as acceptable by the board, and all of the Legal VP's
throughout our evolution.

You can suddenly decide to reclassify the scope of advertising clauses,
but we will be disabling major components of the Apache httpd, Tomcat,
and a number of other very visible projects in reaction to such a decision.
Somehow, both our organization and our many consumers have found their
way through this minefield up to this point, 15 years later.

Cheers,

Bill

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

RE: Dependency on OpenSSL

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.
Oh!  A reviewer in Incubator PMC suggested it was probably category X, and
I did not double check it.  My fault.

The current license is: https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html

It has a few more clauses, but it seems they all boil down to advertising
and redistribution. So category B seems right to me, as you suggest.

Thanks!

--Steve

[...]

 There is no practical distinction here.

Re: Dependency on OpenSSL