Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Lior Moneta <mo...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/27 20:04:08 UTC

Few implementation questions

Hi,
I'm implementing CS in my environment and I encountered a few issues I
couldn't find a clear answer to online.

A little bit about my environment:

   - I'm currently using one management server that holds both the MySQL DB
   and the NFS for the secondary storage.
   - I'm using vSphere 5.5 as my hypervisor.
   - I've installed CloudStack 4.5.1.

These are my questions:

   1. *Microsoft LDAP integration* - I succeeded to integrate CS with my MS
   AD but it seems that I have to manage all the users manually and I can't
   find a way to manage it with AD groups. Is there a way to create a CS
   account for a specific AD group? I would like to manage the users for the
   accounts in the AD level and not manually in CS. I succeeded to create an
   account that takes all the users from a specific group but it doesn't
   update when I add a new user to the AD group.
   2. *Duplicate for templates on each primary storage* - I have 2 primary
   storage (2 VMware vmfs datastores) and I noticed that If the template
   doesn't yet exists on the datastore on which it deploys the VM, CS copy the
   template from the secondary storage to that datastore although the template
   already exist on the second datastore. Should it behave like that? Is there
   a way to fix it?
   3. *Console delay* - I'm experiencing about 1 second delay between my
   actions and the response from the VM's console. This is an issue for me
   since the VM's are going to be accessed only by the console window and not
   by remote desktop or SSH. Wondering if this behavior is normal or is there
   any configuration I need to implement in order to fix it. I'm experiencing
   this delay both in Windows and Linux VM's with VMware Tools installed and
   updated to the latest version.

Thanks!
Lior.

Re: Few implementation questions

Posted by Lior Moneta <mo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Rajani & Ilya for your response!

Regarding the CS behavior with saving a copy of the templates on each
primary storage (In my case - VMware datastores), I just want to make sure
I got it right. Lets say I have 50 templates in my environment and 4
datastores. Should I expect that CS will maintain one copy of each template
on all of the 4 datastores? If so, I'm wondering why CS is working this
way(Maybe I designed it wrong)?

Regarding the delay in VNC console, I tried to open a VNC session directly
from my PC to the VNC port that the ESX exposed for the VM and there was no
delay at  all. It seems that I experience this delay only when I'm using
the web console that works through the Console Proxy server. Can you
elaborate on how I can change the network throttle rate to 0? Is it with a
global parameter exposed through the UI? If so, which parameter is it?

Additional question, in the web UI I can see the ability to create only
anti-affinity-rules. Is there a way to create also affinity rules (I need
that a few VM's will be located on the same ESX host)? Is it exposed
through the API? If not, can you recommend on a plugin that can add this
option to CS?

Thanks again,
Lior.

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
Lior,

Since Rajani addressed #1 & #2,
#3 is the issue you need to investigate on your side, as i cant

Posted by Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org>.