Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jonathan Resnick <jr...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/01 04:53:58 UTC

windows build?

Has anyone got CouchDB successfully built on Windows?  I feel silly
asking this but for better or worse Windows is what I know.  On the
other hand, the abiliy to get it going easily on Windows would open it
up to a whole new audience to try out.

I have tried following the directions posted here
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/InstallingOnWindows, but I can't seem
to find binaries for SpiderMonkey anywhere on the Mozilla site, nor
have I had any luck compiling it from source (the *.mdp file is too
old to open in Visual Studio and NMAKE craps out with some
unintelliglible error).

I have also searched the archives of this mailing list but haven't
come across anything relevant.  Any ideas would be a great help.

jon

Re: windows build?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Aug 1, 2008, at 04:53, Jonathan Resnick wrote:

> Has anyone got CouchDB successfully built on Windows?  I feel silly
> asking this but for better or worse Windows is what I know.  On the
> other hand, the abiliy to get it going easily on Windows would open it
> up to a whole new audience to try out.
>
> I have tried following the directions posted here
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/InstallingOnWindows, but I can't seem
> to find binaries for SpiderMonkey anywhere on the Mozilla site, nor
> have I had any luck compiling it from source (the *.mdp file is too
> old to open in Visual Studio and NMAKE craps out with some
> unintelliglible error).

That is basically where I ended up when trying the outlined procedure
on MingW. This is all very unfortunate. I don't really have the
resources
to dive deeper into this but maybe somebody here can pick up the lose
ends or send a request for information to the Mozilla devs?

A native Windows build would be highly appreciated!

Cheers
Jan

Re: windows build?

Posted by Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen <ra...@gmail.com>.
Oh and as to performance, at least running those on linux isn't that slow.
It depends on your system, anything with more than one core will do fine.

Greetings,
Ralf

Re: windows build?

Posted by "Mark \"ch\" Vasilkov" <ch...@printf.ru>.
On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 11:53 +0200, Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen wrote:
> OTOH using Windows in production for a server isn't the easiest,
> cheapest nor safest thing to do anyway.

I second that :)
--
Mark "ch" Vasilkov <ch...@printf.ru>

Re: windows build?

Posted by tamagawa <ta...@osa.att.ne.jp>.
Hello Jan and lists,

Now I'm done with new windows install sequence for 0.8.1.

Still I have errors with the test suites. Couch_js.exe crashes
many times.

In the build procedure,

 >Once you've built js.exe and js32.dll, copy them both to

is this right? It seems there's no js.exe built, instead
jsshell.exe is built with this command.

nmake -f "js.mak" CFG="jsshell - Win32 Debug"

Or am I missing something?

--
TAMAGAWA Ryuji

Re: windows build?

Posted by tamagawa <ta...@osa.att.ne.jp>.
Hello Jan and lists,

I've just commited BuildingWindowsDependencyLibraries to wiki.
This is a part of my Windows binary building procedure.

I will update InstallingOnWindows page in several days and
it will include a link to BuildingWindowsDependencyLibraries page.

I will report about the errors if they are reproduced with 0.8.1.

--
TAMAGAWA Ryuji

Jan Lehnardt ????????:

Re: windows build?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Aug 16, 2008, at 17:03, tamagawa wrote:

> Jan Lehnardt Wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, a native Windows build has its value and it would
>> be nice if somebody could pull it together.
>
> I think so. There will be users who want to use native build
> when couchDB become 1.0. And 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.
> CouchDB prior to 1.0 must be evaluated on Windows by as many
> testers as possible.
>
> I've got couchDB built and working on Windows Vista, though
> still I have many errors in the test suits.

What kind of errors are you getting?

> How can I contribute? May I edit the InstallingOnWindows page?

Yes please, if you have more information and possibly easier
instructions, that'd be great.

Also, could your report any changes you had to make in order
to build on Windows so we can roll it in the source?

Cheers
Jan

Re: windows build?

Posted by tamagawa <ta...@osa.att.ne.jp>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by Darren New <dn...@san.rr.com>.
Sho Fukamachi wrote:
> I stand corrected. I won't bother asking why open source application
> software is apparently A-OK but an OS is verboten .. think I can guess
> the answer : (

In many cases, it's because picking an OS precludes the use of
particular applications, but picking an application does not. MS SQL
Server gets along with CouchDB but doesn't get along with Linux.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Re: windows build?

Posted by Sho Fukamachi <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by Dean Landolt <de...@deanlandolt.com>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by Sho Fukamachi <sh...@gmail.com>.
On 15/08/2008, at 4:53 AM, Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen wrote:

> You have a point there. For the try-before-you-buy crowd, a windows
> build would be very usefull.

How large is the crowd of people who are technically skilled/curious
enough to be wanting to try out advanced pre-release distributed REST-
based database servers written in erlang with their cutting edge web
applications that they are writing because they are programmers but at
the same time can't manage to gain any access at all to a UNIX-like
system? I would have thought it was zero ...

Anyway, I would have thought the #1 reason for getting a windows build
up and running is to fulfil the (currently somewhat distant) promise
of being able to deliver Couch locally as an online/offline syncing
file store or something, but that's all off in the future and not an
urgent priority.

> I was more referring to the next phase, when somebody would actually
> decide to use CouchDB.
> In that case i would try to rely on software stacks in their 'native'
> habitat. But that's just my preference.

Geeze, I can *kind of* understand someone wanting to use Windows for
development if they absolutely have to have DreamWeaver or something,
but on a server?! Of course you are right that people should run
server software, on servers, in their "native" environment. One
doesn't use WINE to run IIS on Linux, one should not use cygwin or
whatever to run Erlang/CouchDB on Windows.

If you couldn't escape Windows on the server for some unbelievably
good reason (like the aliens are threatening to blow up the world if
you don't), then it would probably be easier/preferable to run it in
Linux under VMWare anyway.

In my humble opinion, of course!

Sho

Re: windows build?

Posted by Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by Brad King <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by Demetrius Nunes <de...@gmail.com>.
This is what I am using:

Re: windows build?

Posted by Jonathan Resnick <jr...@gmail.com>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by Demetrius Nunes <de...@gmail.com>.
Same here.

--
____________________________
http://www.demetriusnunes.com

Re: windows build?

Posted by Ronny Hanssen <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: windows build?

Posted by tamagawa <ta...@osa.att.ne.jp>.
Hello,

I am trying to build CouchDB on Windows too.

Regarding SpiderMonkey, It seems that I have
successfully build the DLL (though with lots of
warnings). Take a look at this page.

http://blog.endflow.net/?p=55&lang=en

Now I am lost in trying to build couch_erl_driver.c.

I am just learning how to build things, I don't
understand what the phrase of InstallingOnWindows
page is saying.

'The simplest way to build a DLL is to create a Win32 DLL project in an
IDE, add couch_erl_driver.c into the project, and change project
settings to include the Erlang ERTS and ICU4C header paths.'

I don't get what I actually have to do.

With VisualStudio2008' Win32 DLL project, it seems
that source must be in C++. I don't know how to fix this.

--
tamagawa ryuji

Jonathan Resnick ????????: