Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2016/10/17 06:48:07 UTC

Website transition

Hi all,

Now that we have mailing lists and Wiki -- a next step is to have a
website, i.e., primarily to list the features of Apache NetBeans and to
make the documentation and tutorials available, i.e., to have a place to
move the relevant parts of netbeans.org.

Or is the Wiki also going to be functioning as the website?

Not clear on that -- this would be good to have clarified and set up.

Thanks,

Geertjan

Re: Website transition

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Geertjan, *

Am 10/17/2016 um 8:48 AM schrieb Geertjan Wielenga:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that we have mailing lists and Wiki -- a next step is to have a
> website, i.e., primarily to list the features of Apache NetBeans and to
> make the documentation and tutorials available, i.e., to have a place to
> move the relevant parts of netbeans.org.
>
> Or is the Wiki also going to be functioning as the website?
No, as far as i know, the Website has to be on the website servers. This
has mainly performance reasons. And I assum that NetBeans has a load of
hits per day. If you have this all on the wiki, you will crash it ;-)

Regards Raphael

Re: Website transition

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>...But, there's simply heaps of
> documentation and interviews and articles on old or dead features, hidden
> in the bowels of netbeans.org, that make no sense to move to Apache....

Assuming preserving that history is important, you might move it to a
separate archive.netbeans.org domain to preserve it - maybe just
static HTML to keep things simple.

If you choose that option I recommend having redirects from the old
URLs as there are probably tons of links in the wild.

-Bertrand

Re: Website transition

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
OK, I get it now. Though, there's a big difference between "the user-facing
part of the web site can live at netbeans.org" and "you may use netbeans.org
for user-facing web site".

I.e., the question is where the content will LIVE -- and the impression
created, suddenly, was that everything could stay exactly as it currently
is, except for the developer/project facing content. That is, thus, not the
case.

Personally, knowing the netbeans.org website reasonably well, from the
inside, I can say we do not want to migrate the website as a whole. Rather,
we should move the most current tutorials (I would suggest from 8.0
onwards) and the latest feature documentation to Apache and then archive
the entire netbeans.org content, so that anyone who wants to go back into
the past can do so, while we'll be able to focus on the most relevant
content. Should there be a big call for older documentation to be included
on Apache, we can include that too. But, there's simply heaps of
documentation and interviews and articles on old or dead features, hidden
in the bowels of netbeans.org, that make no sense to move to Apache.

Good to have this cleared up.

Gj

Re: Website transition

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Website transition

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Website transition

Posted by Anton Epple <to...@eppleton.de>.
Hi Bertrand,

Re: Website transition

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Website transition

Posted by Anton Epple <to...@eppleton.de>.
Github hosting of websites is not a good solution for us anyway. It lacks
https support for custom domains (only available for github.io domains).

‹Toni

Re: Website transition

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Website transition

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I just had a look and it seems Apache Groovy ist hosting
http://www.groovy-lang.org on github....

hmmm

Sven

--
Sven Reimers

* Senior Expert Software Architect
* Java Champion
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* Community Leader  NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
                              Desktop Java:
http://community.java.net/javadesktop
* JUG Leader JUG Bodensee: http://www.jug-bodensee.de
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009

* XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Sven_Reimers8
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers

Re: Website transition

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Website transition

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website transition

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Website transition

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website transition

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Website transition

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Website transition

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Am 10/17/2016 um 8:48 AM schrieb Geertjan Wielenga:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that we have mailing lists and Wiki -- a next step is to have a
> website, i.e., primarily to list the features of Apache NetBeans and to
> make the documentation and tutorials available, i.e., to have a place to
> move the relevant parts of netbeans.org.
I wonder what you have now as website framework?

Regards Raphael