Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/27 10:09:45 UTC

Evaluation of Mahout recommenders

Did any of you go to this?

RUE 2012 – Workshop on Recommendation Utility Evaluation: Beyond RMSE
http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-910/

One of the poster sessions was an evaluation of the Mahout recommender:

Case Study Evaluation of Mahout as a Recommender Platform
http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-910/paper10.pdf

Re: Evaluation of Mahout recommenders

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It is a nice writeup, but the Mahout comparison was a bit of a strawman.  I
wish I could go to their talk, but I was in office hours right then.
 Coincidentally, I was advising somebody that an excellent way to deploy a
recommendation system is on top of Solr.  As the regulars here will know, I
push this often after getting good results from such a system over 5 years
ago at Veoh.

Some observations on best practices before talking about the paper,

- it is always necessary to marry a recommendation system with some kind of
content system.  SolR makes that easy.

- using additional characteristics such as cuisine for restaurants, genre
for movies and other similar things is always a good thing to do as a
backup if you have sparse data.

- using something like LLR to find significant item-to-item relationships
and then pushing those relations into a SolR instance allows you to blend
geo-filtering, content recommendation and collaborative filtering into a
single framework.

- the native weighting schemes in SolR generally perform just fine for
recommendations with no ad hoc adjustments or term boosts or field boosts.
 If term or field boosts are desired, they should not be the first system
fielded and A/B testing should be used to test versions of weighting
algorithms after the first system is built.

- item-to-item relationships are excellent for structuring pages.  Often a
SolR instance can help render the site as well as do recommendations.

- cross-recommendations from terms to items should be extracted to improve
search accuracy

--- So ---

Relative to this baseline, how did this paper do?

+1 -- they used SolR, but assumed that using Mahout means that you won't
use SoLR.

+1 -- they used additional characteristics.

-1 -- I didn't read carefully enough to be absolutely sure, bit it appears
that they didn't do a good job of sparsifying item-item relationships, but
instead used a more naive system.

-1 -- they didn't make good use of SolR's native weighting and jumped
immediately to ad-hoc weightings.  They did use some A/B testing, but
apparently believed in their hunches too strongly.

-1 -- they seem to have missed the potential for site navigation

-1 -- they seem to have no idea about cross recommendation.

So I would give them about a 2 out of 6 points on doing as well as they
could.  On the other hand, they have a working system so they have the
moral high ground from the beginning.

One thing that would have helped them a lot would have been to solicit
reviews from this group before publishing.  That would have helped them
avoid the classic problem of comparison papers where the authors always
know and spend lots of time on the stuff they know intimately while they
generally spend little time and know less about the other alternative
approaches.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.