Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by ea...@att.net on 2014/08/21 19:27:31 UTC

Openoffice Program Install attached to email

I received an email about updates to my Microsoft Office program.  Opening the email some how installed Openoffice on my system.  I do not use it as I have Microsoft Office.  I have tried several times to remove this Openoffice with the program removal tool but get a message box that Openoffice  is part of the main and can not be removed.  I was directed to a chat through the Forum and was told the cost was $175 to have it removed from my system.  This is not Legal !!!!   Please assist me in removing the unwanted program of yours from my system.

Thank You.

Sent from Windows Mail

Re: Openoffice Program Install attached to email

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On Aug 21, 2014, at 13:27, eagle2fl@att.net wrote:

> I received an email about updates to my Microsoft Office program.  Opening the email some how installed Openoffice on my system.

If you can send the email [as an attachment] to the experts [I'm not one!], they may be able to help figure out what happened.

-- -- --
jt   http://jt-mj.net

All computers wait at the same speed.

Re: Openoffice Program Install attached to email

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 17:27:31 +0000
<ea...@att.net> wrote:

> I received an email about updates to my Microsoft Office program.  Opening the email some how installed Openoffice on my system.  I do not use it as I have Microsoft Office.  I have tried several times to remove this Openoffice with the program removal tool but get a message box that Openoffice  is part of the main and can not be removed.  I was directed to a chat through the Forum and was told the cost was $175 to have it removed from my system.  This is not Legal !!!!   Please assist me in removing the unwanted program of yours from my system.

Which Forum, please?

Your computer was compromised by some other site, which installed a redirection to a contaminated version of OpenOffice; unfortunately, as the code is public domain unscrupulous operators use it for such ransom demands.

It is only recommended to download OpenOffice from
[url]www.openoffice.org/download[/url] which will redirect to SourceForge servers where the files are stored. If one has any doubt about the integrity of the downloaded file, this can be verified as set out in
[url=http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html]How to verify a download[/url]

Depending on your operating system you may be able to restore it to a pre-infection restore point; You should backup any important work before doing this, should you choose to do so,

You should carry out an indepth virus scan using latest virus definitions, also a malware scan, also with latest definitions. I would suggest using Trend Micro's House Call, which will do a scan of your computer from their site. For Malware, MalwareBytes is well respected.

I offer the above in good faith. It is your computer, you control the access to it and what happens on it.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Openoffice Program Install attached to email

Posted by Thiry Fabrice <le...@skynet.be>.
Essaie Ccleaner

ciao
Le 21/08/2014 19:27, eagle2fl@att.net a écrit :
> I received an email about updates to my Microsoft Office program.  Opening the email some how installed Openoffice on my system.  I do not use it as I have Microsoft Office.  I have tried several times to remove this Openoffice with the program removal tool but get a message box that Openoffice  is part of the main and can not be removed.  I was directed to a chat through the Forum and was told the cost was $175 to have it removed from my system.  This is not Legal !!!!   Please assist me in removing the unwanted program of yours from my system.
>

> Thank You.
>

> Sent from Windows Mail

---

Re: Openoffice Program Install attached to email

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
and confirm.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Openoffice Program Install attached to email

Posted by tseng chan <ts...@gmail.com>.
Hello,