Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <mk...@mifos.org> on 2017/01/03 11:21:26 UTC

Please help evaluation Fineract's readiness for graduation

Hi all,

Apache has a project maturity model which can be used to evaluate readiness
for graduation.  It's a guide rather then a set of requirements, but I
believe we can use it.  I've used it to create a page evaluating *our*
readiness:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Maturity+Evaluation

The evaluation is not finished.  Apache Fineract needs the following from
you:
* Evaluate the criteria which I did not evaluate.  I've highlighted them in
blue.
* Check the evaluation of the criteria which already have one.  If your
evaluation differs, document your disagreement. If you agree with the
evaluation, add your committer id.
* On those criteria in which Apache Fineract still has work to do before
graduation (highlighted in red), check if you can do that work.  I've left
at least one low-hanging fruit in there.  Who will find it first?
* If you feel we need to add a criteria, add it, and explain why.

Once we have met all criteria, we should propose ourselves for graduation.

Looking at our current state, we've made tremendous progress since we
entered incubation in December 2015, and I'd like us to make the push for
those last few bits in 2017.  I believe that, if we as a community wish to,
we can achieve this in the first quarter of this year.

Greets,
Myrle

*Myrle Krantz*
Solutions Architect
RɅĐɅЯ, The Mifos Initiative
mkrantz@mifos.org | Skype: mkrantz.mifos.org | http://mifos.org

Re: Please help evaluation Fineract's readiness for graduation

Posted by Myrle Krantz <mk...@mifos.org>.
Hey Ed,

Isn't that what Jira is for?  Wouldn't it be enough to just tag the release
version when a ticket is resolved?

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
To address Sendoro's comment, could we maintain the changelog (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-fineract/blob/develop/CHANGELOG.md)

just as we do the Mifos X changelog

 https://github.com/openMF/incubator-fineract/blob/master/MIFOS-CHANGELOG.md

whereby from the changelog you can immediately see history of changes and
do as Sendoro would like and quickly decide whether to upgrade or not.

Ed

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:

> Nazeer,
>
> We do need to link to the latest download which in this case is 0.6.0 from
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/fineract/
>
> Markus - is there a way in which to dynanmically link to the latest
> release or do we always have to manually update.
>

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Shaik Nazeer <nazeer.shaik@
> confluxtechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>> Instead of modifying Fineract website on every Fineract releases, can we
>> link required details to Fineract wiki pages?
>> For example latest release details can be found at
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Release+Folders
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nazeer

*Ed Cable*

Re: Please help evaluation Fineract's readiness for graduation

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:
> Nazeer,
>
> We do need to link to the latest download which in this case is 0.6.0 from
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/fineract/
>
> Markus - is there a way in which to dynanmically link to the latest release
> or do we always have to manually update.

A lot of projects use semantic symlinks (stable/latest/etc.) to point to actual
release version folders. Of course, you have to update those as part of your
release process.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Please help evaluation Fineract's readiness for graduation

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Nazeer,

We do need to link to the latest download which in this case is 0.6.0 from
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/fineract/

Markus - is there a way in which to dynanmically link to the latest release
or do we always have to manually update.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Shaik Nazeer <
nazeer.shaik@confluxtechnologies.com> wrote:

> Instead of modifying Fineract website on every Fineract releases, can we
> link required details to Fineract wiki pages?
> For example latest release details can be found at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Release+Folders
>
> Thanks,
> Nazeer

Posted by se...@singo.co.tz.
+1
Will you have a link just adjacent to e.g. the latest stable link, that
point to "change log" a.k.a "What new in this release"?

So that immediate one decide  why s/he should upgrade or not?

Regards
Sendoro

On 2017-01-26 03:52, Shaik Nazeer wrote:
> Instead of modifying Fineract website on every Fineract releases, can
> we link required details to Fineract wiki pages?
> For example latest release details can be found at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Release+Folders
>
> Thanks,
> Nazeer

Dear Markus,

Thanks a lot for the clarity! :)

Regards
Sendoro

Posted by Shaik Nazeer <na...@confluxtechnologies.com>.
I have resolved the Fineract website issue and updated https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=67640333 page with details.

Thanks,
Nazeer

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Makes sense.

Posted by Markus Geiß <mg...@mifos.org>.
Hey Ed,

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Markus,

--
*Ed Cable*

Re: Please help evaluation Fineract's readiness for graduation

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Agreed.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
[...]

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Thanks Myrle for starting this process and evaluation. I will discuss this
during our Partner Council meeting and make sure all of our committers
review the wiki page and make their contribution.

I'll put my evaluation in soon as well.

Ed

Posted by Sander van der Heyden <sa...@musonisystem.com>.
Hi Myrle,