Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com> on 2011/09/21 03:14:06 UTC

BookmarkablePageLink works differently in 1.5?

It seems that in Wicket 1.5 BookmarkablePageLink's produce URLs that
employ query parameters

Eg.,

?name1=value1&name2=value2

instead of the directory style parameters of 1.4.x

Eg.,
/name1/value1/name2/value2

While this may not be a problem for new Wicket applications the
thousands of URLs of existing 1.4 Wicket applications are referenced
from many existing websites and search engines on the web.

Is there a replacement for BookmarkablePageLink in 1.5 that can produce
the 1.4 style URLs? (Or could BookmarkablePageLink take an option like
'legacyStyle' that, when set to true, will create legacy (1.4) style
URLs?)

Regards,
Chris

RE: BookmarkablePageLink works differently in 1.5?

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
>Use need to use PageParameters.set(int, Object) to add indexed parameter.
>I guess you pass #set(String, Object) instead.

Yes, I've just been finding all the code that builds BookmarkablePageLink's using the set(String, Object) method and converting it to set(int, Object).
There's quite a lot of it! ;)

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Use need to use PageParameters.set(int, Object) to add indexed parameter.
I guess you pass #set(String, Object) instead.

See #testEncodeX() methods in org.apache.wicket.request.mapper.MountedMapperTest

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Chris Colman
<ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com> wrote:
>>i meant:
>>
>>mount(new MountedMapper("/content/home", HomePage.class, new
>>MyCustomPageParameterEncoder());
>>
>>-igor
>
> Arh! I didn't think of that.
>
> Would the PageParameterEncoder passed into the MountedMapper be used by any BookmarkablePageLink instance when it encodes the URL or does the encoder need to be separately specified for the BookmarkablePageLink?
>

>>On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Chris Colman
>><ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com> wrote:
>>> The pages are mounted but with 1.4 I mounted them all like:
>>>
>>> mountPage("/content/home");
>>> mountPage("/content/about");

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
That was it: the placeholders added to the mount URL pattern for parameters in the directory style

eg., /${val1}/${val2}

actually contribute to the mount point, effectively extending it.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
>maybe it is because of the placeholders in the mount path.
>remove them and use just the API for indexed parameters to set/get them.

By placeholders do you mean this part:

/${dummy_o}/${o}/${dummy_c}/${c}

in

mountPage("/content/product/${dummy_o}/${o}/${dummy_c}/${c}");

?

I had them there so that it 'defines' the named parameters so that all existing code that reads parameter values can continue to work unchanged.

Eg.,

Existing code like:

parameters.get("o").toString();
(this had to be changed slightly to conform to 1.5 method names)

should still work which is preferable to changing all parameter reading code to indexed based parameters.

I guess that by adding name/value pairs as a suffix in the mount it is actually extending the mount point to include those extra name/value pairs which is why the ../../ is being added to the link's URL.

In 1.4.x we never had to 'define' these name/value pairs and so the mount point never included them.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
Some of the pages are working now but the generated HTML code sure has some interest URLs:

<a wicket:id="faqCategoryLink" href="../../../////o/76429/c/22">
<h2 wicket:id="faqCategoryName">Getting started</h2></a>

The href value has a few too many '/' slashes in it for my liking. Any idea why it might be adding so many slashes?

The links work ok but look very strange.

In 1.4 the links looked normal with no ../../ and /////

Any ideas what might be causing this?

>>> mountPage("/content/about");

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
>attach a patch to a jira issue.

New JIRA issue created:

Looks like others have had the same issue so it seems like it would be a generally useful improvement:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6154430/how-do-i-mimic-hybridurlcodingstrategy-in-wicket-1-5

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
attach a patch to a jira issue.

-igor

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Chris Colman
<ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com> wrote:
>>mount(new MountedMapper("/content/home", HomePage.class, new
>>MyCustomPageParameterEncoder());
>
> I could implement a CustomerPageParameterEncoder by copying what 1.4 did.
>
> It might be useful if 1.5 provided a PageParameterEncoder that encoded/decoded in the 1.4 style to make it easier for people porting from 1.4 -> 1.5.
>

>>-igor
>>
>>On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Chris Colman
>><ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com> wrote:
>>> The pages are mounted but with 1.4 I mounted them all like:
>>>
>>> mountPage("/content/home");
>>> mountPage("/content/about");

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.