Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Sean Carrick <se...@pekinsoft.com> on 2022/01/04 14:16:32 UTC

NteBeans Documentation Suggestion

Hey All!

Happy new year to everyone! I hope this year is healthy and prosperous for
you all.

I have started working on a documentation project that I am using to test a
theory I have come up with. I have heard tons of commercials for the Babble
language learning software and they talk about the *full-immersion language
learning technique* that they use for teaching foreign languages to people.
This concept piqued my interest, so I started doing a lot of research on
the full-immersion technique. It is through full-immersion that toddlers
learn how to speak their native language. They simply hear the words and
get the context, so they learn the language.

 My theory that I formulated is that if full-immersion works for *natural*
languages, could it work for *artificial* languages? Therefore, I have
started (just barely started) on a project to write a "book" (a bunch of
markdown files) as a GitHub project where I will test this theory by
teaching the Java language and using Apache NetBeans IDE for developing
Java J2SE/Swing applications. This will not be about building applications
on the NetBeans Platform, but standard J2SE/Swing desktop applications.

I am planning on doing two "hello world" projects with only the JDK to
start out (text editor and command line tools), then recreating those two
projects in the NetBeans IDE. After that, I will attempt to teach *The
Programmer's Algorithm* or, Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). Once
that is explained, then I am planning on (cyclically) planning, developing
and testing a single project through the rest of the "book". All of this
will be done as a "conversation between friends" instead of like a lecture,
and will be accomplished by fully immersing the reader in the Java
language. In other words, I will not spend any (or, at least, much) time on
the didactics of the language, like you would find in *Java: The Complete
Reference. *This will not be a standard, dry and boring book on
programming. My goal is to make it very engaging, hopefully a veritable
"page-turner". 😉

Anyway, the point of this thread is just to put this idea out there and see
if this is something that might qualify for the NetBeans documentation
section, as I get parts of it done. I appreciate any thoughts feedback that
you all may give me. All the help I can get is greatly appreciated.

- SC