Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jai <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/18 01:35:01 UTC

Stateful session replication in apache

Hi All,

 I know we can configure session replication in application servers. But is
it possible to have replication in apache webserver? We have two apache
servers running on production if one server goes down then users should have
to point to other server without any error. Is it possible in apache?

Thanks in Advance

Jai

Re: Stateful session replication in apache

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Jai <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I know we can configure session replication in application servers. But is
> it possible to have replication in apache webserver? We have two apache
> servers running on production if one server goes down then users should have
> to point to other server without any error. Is it possible in apache?

Apache doesn't have sessions, so you don't need to replicate sessions.
HTTP is essentially stateless. If you have a simple website all you
need to do is replicated it over X instances of Apache with a
loadbalancer in front of it. If one server goes down the loadbalancer
will not send requests to it, and your user's requests will go to the
other servers.
I your web application has sessions than it is up to that
webapplication to make sure that session information is shared amongst
all servers.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Re: Stateful session replication in apache

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Jai <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I know we can configure session replication in application servers. But is
> it possible to have replication in apache webserver? We have two apache
> servers running on production if one server goes down then users should have
> to point to other server without any error. Is it possible in apache?

If something like PHP is managing your session, you should probably
consult their documentation/forums.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com