Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "Sebastian Ruff (open4business GmbH)" <ru...@open4business.de> on 2010/07/28 14:26:40 UTC

Starting a job on a hadoop cluster remotly

Hey,

is it possible to start a job on a hadoop cluster from remote. For
example we have a web application

which runs on an apache tomcat server. And would like to start a
mapreduce job on our cluster, from

within the webapp.

Is this possible? And if yes, what are the steps to get there? Do I just
have to put my namenode and datanode

in a core-site.xml in the webapp and call the api?

Thanks a lot,

Sebastian

RE: Starting a job on a hadoop cluster remotly

Posted by "Segel, Mike" <ms...@navteq.com>.
Hi,

Since you didn't get an answer... yes you can.

I'm working from memory so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details...

Your external app has to be 'cloud aware'. Essentially create a config file for your application that you can read in which lets your app know where the JT and NN are.

Then you can use the Tool (?interface/class) implement/extend with your job class and tell it to run...

Sorry for being terse... I'm under the gun on getting something out the door.

HTH

-Mike

is it possible to start a job on a hadoop cluster from remote. For
example we have a web application

which runs on an apache tomcat server. And would like to start a
mapreduce job on our cluster, from

within the webapp.

Is this possible? And if yes, what are the steps to get there? Do I just
have to put my namenode and datanode

in a core-site.xml in the webapp and call the api?

Thanks a lot,

Sebastian

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.