Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gregg Tavares <gm...@greggman.com> on 2005/09/02 07:10:12 UTC

.svn folder needs to go away?

I was wondering if this has already been addressed.  I didn't see it
in the issue tracker but then I might have missed it.

basically the issue is this.  Now that svn is being used more and more
to manage art assets it is in the hands of less technically savvy
users.  Those users, especially on Windows, don't know all the rules
they have to follow.  So for example, (I'm in the game industry).
Let's say an artist has a folder structure like this

Ogre
--Models
--Textures

This folder is versioned by svn.

Now lets say they want to make Ogre-Commander which is the same Ogre
with a few things changed.  So, doing the natural thing, they copy the
folder.  They go to Windows Explorer, select the folder "Ogre", copy
and paste, then rename it "Ogre-Commander" and proceed to edit.

The problem is that copy operation also copied all the .svn folders
and now svn is effectively messed up for them and they have to go find
some techincal person to fix this for them.

It would seem like the arguably best though I'm sure unpopular
solution would be to stop storing whatever data is in the .svn folders
locally in each versioned folder.  Put them in local database keyed on
the folder name OR put them in a semi mirrored folder tree stored in
like "application data\subversion"

Re: .svn folder needs to go away?

Posted by Joshua Varner <jl...@gmail.com>.
On 9/2/05, Gregg Tavares <gm...@greggman.com> wrote:snip

> Now lets say they want to make Ogre-Commander which is the same Ogre
> with a few things changed. So, doing the natural thing, they copy the
> folder. They go to Windows Explorer, select the folder "Ogre", copy
> and paste, then rename it "Ogre-Commander" and proceed to edit.
>
> The problem is that copy operation also copied all the .svn folders
> and now svn is effectively messed up for them and they have to go find
> some techincal person to fix this for them.
>
> It would seem like the arguably best though I'm sure unpopular
> solution would be to stop storing whatever data is in the .svn folders
> locally in each versioned folder. Put them in local database keyed on
> the folder name OR put them in a semi mirrored folder tree stored in
> like "application data\subversion"
>
> There is work going on to allow working copies to not have a text-base,
but I
don't think that is sufficient for what you need. That's an interesting use
case
that probably should be supported.

I think it should go into the issue tracker. I'm not sure how to fix it. Did
the user
svn add the folder after making the copy? Did that fail? If so then this is
a bug.
What client were they using? Maybe that should be a client supported
behavior
in a GUI?

I, also, didn't see any open bugs for this.

Josh

Re: .svn folder needs to stay

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sep 3, 2005, at 10:55 PM, Ron wrote:

>> The user needs to be educated to not do that. A version control
>> system is not a transparent entity. It requires the user to
>> understand what is going on, and to slightly modify their behavior.
>>

> You've never worked with artist have you?  I also work in the games
> business and use svn for our projects and it is a huge pain with
> non-technical people.  They have no idea what a command line is, so
> everything has to be done though TSVN.  They do not understand what
> version control is, all they know if they have to use it (and yes, I
> have tried and tried to explain it).  For the most part version
> control exists for the programmers, so this just slows down the
> artists.
>
> I don't want to lump all artist into the same category, some of
> them are great, but they are also the technical ones.

"Artists", then, are the perfect audience for svn's autoversioning
feature.  Let them all mount the repository as a network drive, copy
stuff to local disk, edit away, then copy back.  Or, let their
applications open the artwork directly from the network drive;  the
operating system will automatically lock the data until it closes the
files.

That's truely transparent version control.

--
www.collab.net  <>  CollabNet  |  Distributed Development On Demand

Re: .svn folder needs to stay

Posted by Ron <li...@rzweb.com>.
> The user needs to be educated to not do that. A version control
> system is not a transparent entity. It requires the user to
> understand what is going on, and to slightly modify their behavior.

You've never worked with artist have you?  I also work in the games
business and use svn for our projects and it is a huge pain with
non-technical people.  They have no idea what a command line is, so
everything has to be done though TSVN.  They do not understand what
version control is, all they know if they have to use it (and yes, I
have tried and tried to explain it).  For the most part version control
exists for the programmers, so this just slows down the artists.

I don't want to lump all artist into the same category, some of them are
great, but they are also the technical ones.

Ron

Re: .svn folder needs to stay

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.