Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sujoy Ghosh <gh...@rediffmail.com> on 2002/09/03 06:50:43 UTC

Tomcat stops automatically

Hi,

I am running Tomcat 3.2.3 on Linux 6.1 with JDK1.2.2 . Few
websites are configured on this Apache web server. Recently I am
experiencing a peculiar problem. Tomcat suddenly stops working &
have no clue any of the logs for this stoppage. Everytime the
server needs to reboot  as restarting Tomcat actually doesn't
start the service.

Would really appreciate if you can please suggest or help me
solving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

-best regards

Sujoy

Re: Tomcat stops automatically

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 04:50:43AM -0000, Sujoy  Ghosh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Tomcat 3.2.3 on Linux 6.1 with JDK1.2.2 . Few
> websites are configured on this Apache web server. Recently I am
> experiencing a peculiar problem. Tomcat suddenly stops working &
> have no clue any of the logs for this stoppage. Everytime the
> server needs to reboot  as restarting Tomcat actually doesn't
> start the service.

'stops working' as in, the JVM crashes (do 'ps axw' and check for java
threads), or as in Tomcat 'hangs' and stops responding? Are you *sure*
you're capturing all the logs? IIRC, by default Tomcat 3.2.3 sends logs
to the console of the user who last restarted it, so you effectively lose
them when that user logs out. Anyway, if the JVM is crashing, upgrade the
JVM; if Tomcat is hanging, either fix your app :) or upgrade Tomcat.

--Jeff