Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Simon Haslam <si...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2008/04/18 12:37:16 UTC

Custom theme failing even before any changes (Roller 4.0, Oracle AS/OC4J 10.1.3, Oracle 10.2 db)

Hello again

I've been trying for the first time to customise a roller 4.0 blog (running
on Oracle AS/OC4J 10.1.3, with Oracle 10.2 database - the way I installed it
is discussed in the mailing list archives).

I started with theme "Clean" (though have tried others too) then went to
Maintenance and changed "Shared Theme" to "Custom Theme". I didn't tick "I
want to copy the templates..." (though have tried that too).

When I change to a Custom Theme it says "Successfully set theme to -
custom". I don't see any errors in the log.

However if I try to go to the front page of the blog (this is a different
browser, not logged in) I get an HTTP 500 - this is the end of the roller
log:

,127 WeblogPageCache:get - HIT-EXPIRED cache.weblogpage:fmw/page=0
,130 PageServlet:doGet - MISS cache.weblogpage:fmw/page=0
,132 PageServlet:doGet - Looking for template to use for rendering
,150 PageServlet:doGet - page found, dealing with it
,152 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Releasing Roller Session
<<<<<<<<???
,154 WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property
[planet.aggregator.enabled=false]
,229 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Processing CharEncodingFilter
,229 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Set request character encoding to UTF-8
,232 BootstrapFilter:doFilter - Entered /roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
,233 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Entered
/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
,234 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - entering
,235 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - trying mapper
org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.WeblogRequestMapper
,237 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - evaluating
[/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css]
,238 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - potential weblog handle = roller-ui
,239 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - SKIPPED roller-ui
,240 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - request not mapped
,243 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - exiting
,244 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Releasing Roller Session
,246 WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property
[planet.aggregator.enabled=false]
,247 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Exiting
/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
,248 BootstrapFilter:doFilter - Exiting /roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css

I haven't found any actual java errors, e.g. nothing in the container log.

If I set the theme back to the Shared Theme (same theme) it works again &
for comparison here's the working logs for about the same part of the
request:
,037 WeblogPageCache:get - HIT-EXPIRED cache.weblogpage:fmw/page=0
,040 PageServlet:doGet - MISS cache.weblogpage:fmw/page=0
,043 PageServlet:doGet - Looking for template to use for rendering
,046 PageServlet:doGet - page found, dealing with it
,050 WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property
[rendering.pageModels=org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.model.PageModel,org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.model.ConfigModel,org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.model.UtilitiesModel,org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.model.URLModel,org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.model.MessageModel,org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.model.CalendarModel,org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.model.MenuModel]
,053 I18nMessages:getMessages - request for messages in locale = en_GB
,057 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.frontpage.weblog.aggregated=false]
,060 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.frontpage.weblog.handle=fmw]
,064 WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property
[rendering.legacyModels.enabled=false]
,067 PageServlet:doGet - Looking up renderer
,068 WebappResourceLoader:getResourceStream - Looking up resource named ...
clean:weblog
,070 ThemeResourceLoader:getResourceStream - Looking up resource named ...
clean:weblog
,072 ThemeResourceLoader:getResourceStream - Resource found!
,115 ThemeResourceLoader:getLastModified - Checking last modified time for
resource named ... clean:weblog
,118 PageServlet:doGet - Doing rendering
,123 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.absoluteurl=null]
...lots more...

Note the "Releasing Roller Session" seems to happen very early for the
custom theme. Also a different test blog on the same server (with a
different shared theme) still works.

Any ideas or suggestions as to where to look next? (or point me at an old
mailing list post/issue if I've missed it!). I'm assuming ROL-453 (Roller
not supported on Oracle) still not relevant for Roller 4 on 10g AS/DB (i.e.
10g JDBC driver) and, though it's early days, generally it was working quite
happily until this.

Thanks!

-Simon

Re: Custom theme failing even before any changes (Roller 4.0, Oracle AS/OC4J 10.1.3, Oracle 10.2 db)

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:48 AM, Simon Haslam <si...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>  Simon Haslam wrote:
>  >
>  > ...
>
> > 52,588 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Exiting
>  > /roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
>  > 52,590 BootstrapFilter:doFilter - Exiting
>  > /roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
>  > ...
>
> > I know it's not reporting an error in the log, but could this be a path
>  > problem as I've had those before? (I'm setting my themes.dir etc in my
>  > roller-custom.properties). I'll see if I can find in the source where
>  > roller.css is being called.
>  >

>  Hmmm, I found this ref in tiles/head.jsp:
>  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href='<s:url
>  value="/roller-ui/styles/roller.css"/>' />
>
>  If I try to access it from the browser it's fine. Maybe that's a red
>  herring.

Yes, that is a red herring and does not indicate a problem.

I don't see any indication of a problem in the logs you sent and I
don't do OC4J, so I'm not going to be able to offer much help help.

Any OC4J users out there have success with custom themes in Roller?

- Dave

Posted by Simon Haslam <si...@yahoo.co.uk>.
--- Brian Levine <le...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This is so basic, I hope you don't find it insulting, but have you checked your tomcat logs?
> I've gotten roller-related errors in those logs that didn't show up in roller.log.
>
> /B

Don't worry Brian - I'm not easily offended ;-) I'm running Roller on Oracle Application
Server/OC4J, not Tomcat, and so the main J2EE container logfile is under $ORACLE_HOME/opmn/logs.
However there's nothing being written to that file when I get the HTTP 500 error occurs. The only
oddities in the log file are these at startup:
12:43:30,179 INFO   - Unable to locate MessageSource with name 'messageSource': using default
[org.springframework.context.support.DelegatingMessageSource@18c5b4f]
12:43:30,185 INFO   - Unable to locate ApplicationEventMulticaster with name
'applicationEventMulticaster': using default
[org.springframework.context.event.SimpleApplicationEventMulticaster@1ffdf86]
12:43:30,195 INFO   - Unable to locate ThemeSource with name 'themeSource': using default
[org.springframework.ui.context.support.ResourceBundleThemeSource@1fdff07]

(for the rest of the messages see an earlier post in this thread). However these messages have
been there since I first installed Roller.

Looking at the Apache logs:
... - - [23/Apr/2008:19:54:21 +0100] "GET /roller/fmw HTTP/1.1" 302 201 "-"
... - - [23/Apr/2008:19:54:40 +0100] "GET /roller/fmw/ HTTP/1.1" 500 1432 "-"
... - - [23/Apr/2008:19:54:40 +0100] "GET
/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css;jsessionid=c0a8090e30d6c0dc1f7afb59484491d6bd193e2827b0.e3iKbx0Kb38Te3v0
HTTP/1.1" 200 14677 "http://.../roller/fmw/"

So that first response (302) is a redirect, followed by the 500 error. The roller.css succeeded
and is the stylesheet used by the code 500 "Roller has encountered and logged an unexpected
exception." error page.

I'll keep diggin'...

Yahoo! For Good. Give and get cool things for free, reduce waste and help our planet. Plus find hidden Yahoo! treasure

http://green.yahoo.com/uk/earth-day/

RE: Custom theme failing even before any changes (Roller 4.0, Oracle AS/OC4J 10.1.3, Oracle 10.2 db)

Posted by Brian Levine <le...@hotmail.com>.

This is so basic, I hope you don't find it insulting, but have you checked your tomcat logs?  I've gotten roller-related errors in those logs that didn't show up in roller.log.

/B

> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 02:36:29 -0700
> From: simon_haslam@yahoo.co.uk
> To: user@roller.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Custom theme failing even before any changes (Roller 4.0, Oracle AS/OC4J 10.1.3, Oracle 10.2 db)
>

> Simon Haslam wrote:
> >
> > Is there any other logging I can turn on so that we can see what it's
> > doing prior to the HTTP 500?
> >

> Here's my roller-custom.properties - do I definitely have all the right
> logging switched on?
>
> installation.type=manual
> database.configurationType=jndi
> database.jndi.name=jdbc/rollerdb
> openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary=oracle
> hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.OracleDialect
> mail.configurationType=properties
> mail.jndi.name=mail/Session
> mail.hostname=localhost
> uploads.dir=...roller_data/resources
> themes.dir=...roller_data/themes
> search.index.dir=...roller_data/search-index
> planet.aggregator.cache.dir=...roller_data/planetcache
> log4j.appender.roller.File=...roller_data/roller.log
> log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, roller
> log4j.category.org.apache.roller=DEBUG
> log4j.category.org.apache.roller.weblogger.business.themes=DEBUG
> log4j.category.net.java.roller=DEBUG
>
> I'm struggling now to see what's happening - I would have thought an HTTP
> 500 meant something was failing quite drastically and there would be a java
> exception/stack trace somewhere but I can't find anything yet.
>
> Given that Roller is running fine for everything else so far, for those of
> you familiar with the Roller 4 code, do you know if there are some software
> components that are only used for custom themes? Perhaps it's a version
> compatibility problem? Do you think it is an OC4J-related or Oracle
> database-related issue (presumably there must be some people running
> successfully on, say, Tomcat and Oracle database though).
>
> Any ideas, pointers, hunches or guesses gratefully received...
>

> --Simon (looking at the tea leaves at the bottom of his cup for clues!)

Make i'm yours.  Create a custom banner to support your cause.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Contribute/Default.aspx?source=TXT_TAGHM_MSN_Make_IM_Yours

Re: Custom theme failing even before any changes (Roller 4.0, Oracle AS/OC4J 10.1.3, Oracle 10.2 db)

Posted by Simon Haslam <si...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Posted by Simon Haslam <si...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Posted by Simon Haslam <si...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I see there's a TEMPLATE column (type CLOB) in WEBPAGE table which only has
rows for blogs with a custom theme. Given that there's some sensible looking
data in there let's assume this is populated properly.

Presumably when you have a shared theme it just pulls the theme/styles
straight from disk, whereas once you have a custom theme it uses the WEBPAGE
table.

(is the difference between ticking "I want to copy the templates from an
existing theme into my weblog." - if you don't choose a theme does it just
use the templates from the current template rather than allowing you to
choose a new one?)

As Dave suggests I have set
log4j.category.org.apache.roller.weblogger.business.themes=DEBUG.

I don't see any errors when I change the theme from shared to custom. Here's
all the log messages from when I request the front page to getting the HTTP
500:

51,749 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Processing CharEncodingFilter
51,750 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Set request character encoding to UTF-8
51,753 BootstrapFilter:doFilter - Entered /roller/
51,754 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Entered /roller/
51,756 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - entering
51,757 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - trying mapper
org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.WeblogRequestMapper
51,759 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - evaluating [/roller/]
51,761 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - potential weblog handle =
51,763 WeblogRequestMapper:isWeblog - checking weblog handle
51,787 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - SKIPPED
51,790 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - request not mapped
51,799 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.frontpage.weblog.handle=fmw]
51,800 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Processing CharEncodingFilter
51,802 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Set request character encoding to UTF-8
51,804 PageServlet:doGet - Entering
51,806 PageServlet:processReferrer - processing referrer for
/roller/roller-ui/rendering/page/fmw
51,808 WeblogRequest:<init> - parsing path /fmw
51,810 WeblogRequest:<init> - handle = fmw
51,812 WeblogRequest:<init> - locale = null
51,814 WeblogRequest:<init> - pathInfo = null
51,815 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - parsing path null
51,817 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - context = null
51,819 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - weblogAnchor = null
51,820 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - weblogDate = null
51,822 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - weblogCategory = null
51,824 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - tags = null
51,825 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - weblogPage = null
51,826 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - pageNum = 0
51,835 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.frontpage.weblog.aggregated=false]
51,839 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.frontpage.weblog.handle=fmw]
51,842 PageServlet:processReferrer - referrer = null
51,849 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.absoluteurl=null]
51,851 ReferrerProcessingJob:execute - PROCESSING:
http://.../roller/roller-ui/rendering/page/fmw
51,853 JPARefererManagerImpl:processReferrer - processing referrer [null]
accessing [http://.../roller/roller-ui/rendering/page/fmw]
51,984 JPAUserManagerImpl:getWebsiteByHandle - weblogHandleToId CACHE HIT -
fmw
52,107 JPARefererManagerImpl:processReferrer - Incrementing hit count on
existing referer: direct
52,197 WeblogRequest:<init> - parsing path /fmw
52,199 WeblogRequest:<init> - handle = fmw
52,201 WeblogRequest:<init> - locale = null
52,203 WeblogRequest:<init> - pathInfo = null
52,205 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - parsing path null
52,207 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - context = null
52,223 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - weblogAnchor = null
52,225 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - weblogDate = null
52,227 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - weblogCategory = null
52,296 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - tags = null
52,298 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - weblogPage = null
52,301 WeblogPageRequest:<init> - pageNum = 0
52,305 JPAUserManagerImpl:getWebsiteByHandle - weblogHandleToId CACHE HIT -
fmw
52,307 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.frontpage.weblog.aggregated=false]
52,310 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - fetched property
[site.frontpage.weblog.handle=fmw]
52,313 ModDateHeaderUtil:respondIfNotModified - since date = -1
52,316 ModDateHeaderUtil:respondIfNotModified - last mod date (trucated to
seconds) = 1208722661000
52,318 WeblogPageCache:get - MISS cache.weblogpage:fmw/page=0
52,321 PageServlet:doGet - MISS cache.weblogpage:fmw/page=0
52,322 PageServlet:doGet - Looking for template to use for rendering
52,417 PageServlet:doGet - page found, dealing with it
52,420 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Releasing Roller Session
52,423 WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property
[planet.aggregator.enabled=false]
52,565 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Processing CharEncodingFilter
52,566 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Set request character encoding to UTF-8
52,569 BootstrapFilter:doFilter - Entered
/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
52,571 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Entered
/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
52,572 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - entering
52,573 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - trying mapper
org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.WeblogRequestMapper
52,576 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - evaluating
[/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css]
52,577 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - potential weblog handle =
roller-ui
52,579 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - SKIPPED roller-ui
52,581 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - request not mapped
52,583 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - exiting
52,585 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Releasing Roller Session
52,587 WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property
[planet.aggregator.enabled=false]
52,588 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Exiting
/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
52,590 BootstrapFilter:doFilter - Exiting
/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css

Note it always seems to stop on this roller.css request - I don't see this
roller.css called for other Shared themes. I do have a rolller.css file
here:
<OC4J j2ee>/applications/roller/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Simon Haslam <si...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>  I've been trying for the first time to customise a roller 4.0 blog (running
>  on Oracle AS/OC4J 10.1.3, with Oracle 10.2 database - the way I installed it
>  is discussed in the mailing list archives).
>
>  I started with theme "Clean" (though have tried others too) then went to
>  Maintenance and changed "Shared Theme" to "Custom Theme". I didn't tick "I
>  want to copy the templates..." (though have tried that too).
>
>  When I change to a Custom Theme it says "Successfully set theme to -
>  custom". I don't see any errors in the log.
>
>  However if I try to go to the front page of the blog (this is a different
>  browser, not logged in) I get an HTTP 500 - this is the end of the roller
>  log:
>
>  ,127 WeblogPageCache:get - HIT-EXPIRED cache.weblogpage:fmw/page=0
>  ,130 PageServlet:doGet - MISS cache.weblogpage:fmw/page=0
>  ,132 PageServlet:doGet - Looking for template to use for rendering
>  ,150 PageServlet:doGet - page found, dealing with it
>  ,152 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Releasing Roller Session
>  <<<<<<<<???
>  ,154 WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property
>  [planet.aggregator.enabled=false]
>  ,229 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Processing CharEncodingFilter
>  ,229 CharEncodingFilter:doFilter - Set request character encoding to UTF-8
>  ,232 BootstrapFilter:doFilter - Entered /roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
>  ,233 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Entered
>  /roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
>  ,234 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - entering
>  ,235 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - trying mapper
>  org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.rendering.WeblogRequestMapper
>  ,237 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - evaluating
>  [/roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css]
>  ,238 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - potential weblog handle = roller-ui
>  ,239 WeblogRequestMapper:handleRequest - SKIPPED roller-ui
>  ,240 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - request not mapped
>  ,243 RequestMappingFilter:doFilter - exiting
>  ,244 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Releasing Roller Session
>  ,246 WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property
>  [planet.aggregator.enabled=false]
>  ,247 PersistenceSessionFilter:doFilter - Exiting
>  /roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
>  ,248 BootstrapFilter:doFilter - Exiting /roller/roller-ui/styles/roller.css
>
>  I haven't found any actual java errors, e.g. nothing in the container log.

Hi Simon,

You could still be hitting an Oracle-related bug. It's hard to tell
without some error messages. You might be able to get better feedback
if you turn on debugging for the theme subsystem. Add this to your
roller-custom.properties file:

    log4j.category.org.apache.roller.weblogger.business.themes=DEBUG

And try customizing a theme.

- Dave