Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Samimi, Ashkan (Contractor)" <Sa...@bp.com> on 2002/03/19 12:22:05 UTC

FopServlet

Hi,

Running this command on command prompt creates the PDF file perfectly:

FOP.bat  -xml glossay.xml -xsl glossay.xsl -pdf glossay.pdf

Running the same with FopServlet

http://localhost:7001/FopServlet?xml=glossay.xml&xsl=glossay.xsl

Does not do anything. No error messages, no initiation of acrobat reader.
Just a Blank browser screen.

I'm using FOP 0.20.3 and FopServlet provided in the Examples\embedding
directory.

What do I do wrong!!??

Can somebody help.

Many thanks in advance,

Ashkan

Re: FopServlet

Posted by TJ Smith <tj...@tjinc.com>.
What you're doing wrong is most likely using IE as your browser.  IE depends
on filename extensions to determine the sort of file it is to display - in
this case, it looks for '.pdf'  You need to add the magic string "a=b.pdf"
to the end of the URL that invokes the FopServlet, viz:

http://blah.blah.blah/servlet/FopServlet?xsl=blah.xsl&xml=blah.xml&a=b.pdf

^^^^^^^^

Also - and this may be the most important, you should change your Acrobat
reader congifuration so that IE does not attempt to execute it within its
window.  Acrobat is an Active X component and there is a load of security
nonsense yadda yadda that causes the IE screen to present a blank screen
rather randomly.  See adobe publication
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm for details.

TJ

P.S. All of this works fine in Netscape fyi.