Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Satyam Singh <sa...@ericsson.com> on 2014/07/28 17:56:59 UTC

One datanode is down then write/read starts failing

Hello,

I have hadoop cluster setup of one namenode and two datanodes.
And i continuously write/read/delete through hdfs on namenode through
hadoop client.

Then i kill one of the datanode, still one is working but writing on
datanode is getting failed for all write requests.

I want to overcome this scenario because at live traffic scenario any of
datanode might get down then how do we handle those cases.

Can anybody face this issue or i am doing something wrong in my setup.

Thanx in advance.

Warm Regards,
Satyam

Re: One datanode is down then write/read starts failing

Posted by Satyam Singh <sa...@ericsson.com>.
Yes, there is lot of space available at that instant.
I am not sure but i have read somewhere that we must have datanodes live
 >= replication factor given at namenode at any point of time. If live
datanodes get less than replication factor then this write/read failure
occurs.

In my case i have given replication factor 2 and initially i have 2 live
datanodes.
Then i killed one of the datanode and number of live DN becomes 1 and
still replication is 2.

Please comment.

Posted by Satyam Singh <sa...@ericsson.com>.

Posted by Satyam Singh <sa...@ericsson.com>.