Posted to user@struts.apache.org by lo...@staff.civ.org.pl on 2005/08/19 15:20:42 UTC

Questions - "compound" Actions, login workflow, Struts-friendly IDEs...

Hello,

I'm currently creating my first larger project with Struts. I have several
design and technical questions, unfortunately still left unanswered after
a number of Google searches and reading several Struts-related resources.

1. The project contains several persistance classes, whose objects require
very similiar handling, e.g in editing. What is the best practice when
dealing with such situations? For example, I want to define actions for
editing each of those types of objects. Is defining one central action for
this task, as shown below:

<action
    path="/edit*"
    type="mypackage.EditItemAction"
    name="{1}Form"
    scope="request"
    input="edit{1}form.jsp"
    validate="true">
    <forward
        name="success"
        path="/successedit{1}.jsp"/>
</action>

sensible, or is there a better approach?

2. Most UI masks in the webapp will allow for a log in/log off. Hence, a
redirect is needed. Unfortunately, I can't find the place where the
original request path (as visible in the browser's address bar) is stored.
Every attribute in the HttpServletRequest argument of the execute() method
seems to point to the resulting JSP page (and not to the Action).
My question here: where can I find the variable that stores the URL which
includes the reference to the action mapping (*.do)?

3. Are then any undocumented pitfalls to watch for when using:
a) i18n
b) application scope variables
in Struts?

4. I'm looking for a good "Struts design assistant" application, that:
a) is free or free for non-commercial use,
b) is Struts 1.2 compliant,
c) is a plugin for Eclipse 3.1,
d) offers visual editing capabilities,
in that order of preference. I've searched for a bit, and as far as I can
see the two major options are StrutsIDE and Struts Console. Which one
performs better? ...or is there yet another possibility?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Mikolaj Koziarkiewicz