Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2023/01/06 10:49:31 UTC

Tomcat and JAX-RPC support

Tomcat (all versions) currently ships a JNDI factory for JAX-RPC 1.1.
This factory was added in Tomcat 6 (Java EE 5).

Java EE 5 (Tomcat 6) encouraged new applications to use JAX-WS rather
than JAX-RPC.

Java EE 6 (Tomcat 7) marked JAX-RPC as "Proposed Optional".

Java EE 7 (Tomcat 8) marked JAX-RPC as "Optional".

Jakarta EE 9 (Tomcat 10.0) removed JAX-RPC from the Jakarta platform.

Tomcat 10.1 and Tomcat 11 still include the JNDI factory for JAX-RPC.

I would like to propose deprecating JAX-RPC support in 10.1 and earlier
and removing it in Tomcat 11. Ideally, I'd like to remove JAX-RPC
support in Tomcat 10.1 but it is too late to do that now 10.1.x is stable.

Given there have been no user questions about this that I can remember,
I do not propose replacing this with the Jakarta XML Web Services
equivalent.

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: Tomcat and JAX-RPC support

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
It makes sense.

+1

Le ven. 6 janv. 2023 à 11:50, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> a écrit :

> Tomcat (all versions) currently ships a JNDI factory for JAX-RPC 1.1.
> This factory was added in Tomcat 6 (Java EE 5).
>
> Java EE 5 (Tomcat 6) encouraged new applications to use JAX-WS rather
> than JAX-RPC.
>
> Java EE 6 (Tomcat 7) marked JAX-RPC as "Proposed Optional".
>
> Java EE 7 (Tomcat 8) marked JAX-RPC as "Optional".
>
> Jakarta EE 9 (Tomcat 10.0) removed JAX-RPC from the Jakarta platform.
>
> Tomcat 10.1 and Tomcat 11 still include the JNDI factory for JAX-RPC.
>
> I would like to propose deprecating JAX-RPC support in 10.1 and earlier
> and removing it in Tomcat 11. Ideally, I'd like to remove JAX-RPC
> support in Tomcat 10.1 but it is too late to do that now 10.1.x is stable.
>
> Given there have been no user questions about this that I can remember,
> I do not propose replacing this with the Jakarta XML Web Services
> equivalent.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Mark

Jean-Louis

Re: Tomcat and JAX-RPC support

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 1/6/23 05:49, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Tomcat (all versions) currently ships a JNDI factory for JAX-RPC 1.1.
> This factory was added in Tomcat 6 (Java EE 5).
>
> Java EE 5 (Tomcat 6) encouraged new applications to use JAX-WS rather
> than JAX-RPC.
>
> Java EE 6 (Tomcat 7) marked JAX-RPC as "Proposed Optional".
>
> Java EE 7 (Tomcat 8) marked JAX-RPC as "Optional".
>
> Jakarta EE 9 (Tomcat 10.0) removed JAX-RPC from the Jakarta platform.
>
> Tomcat 10.1 and Tomcat 11 still include the JNDI factory for JAX-RPC.
>
> I would like to propose deprecating JAX-RPC support in 10.1 and earlier
> and removing it in Tomcat 11. Ideally, I'd like to remove JAX-RPC
> support in Tomcat 10.1 but it is too late to do that now 10.1.x is stable.

+1 for removing it in Tomcat 11.

-chris

Re: Tomcat and JAX-RPC support

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Tomcat (all versions) currently ships a JNDI factory for JAX-RPC 1.1.
> This factory was added in Tomcat 6 (Java EE 5).
>
> Java EE 5 (Tomcat 6) encouraged new applications to use JAX-WS rather
> than JAX-RPC.
>
> Java EE 6 (Tomcat 7) marked JAX-RPC as "Proposed Optional".
>
> Java EE 7 (Tomcat 8) marked JAX-RPC as "Optional".
>
> Jakarta EE 9 (Tomcat 10.0) removed JAX-RPC from the Jakarta platform.
>
> Tomcat 10.1 and Tomcat 11 still include the JNDI factory for JAX-RPC.
>
> I would like to propose deprecating JAX-RPC support in 10.1 and earlier
> and removing it in Tomcat 11. Ideally, I'd like to remove JAX-RPC
> support in Tomcat 10.1 but it is too late to do that now 10.1.x is stable.
>
> Given there have been no user questions about this that I can remember,
> I do not propose replacing this with the Jakarta XML Web Services
> equivalent.
>
> Thoughts?

+1 for removal.

Rémy