Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2004/03/10 19:37:32 UTC

[VOTE] New sandbox project

All,

I'd like to start exploring the "aspect" container architecture
by writing some code. There seems to be some interest in this
type of effort - as usual it is of the "sure looks good, but is
it even possible" kind (I ask the same myself), and there's
only one way to really find out. I figure I should do my
experimenting in public rather than privately, so that anyone
interested can see what I'm doing, and therefore I want to
do it in sandbox.

I want to stress the following things:

 1. This is not "yet another container". I think we all know
    that such an effort would just send us off further into
    La-la Land.

 2. It will not be very mavenized, very feature-rich or
    anything. If this thing starts to become even remotely
    useful, it is time to stop.

 3. As I see it, the only future it has is if I can make it
    into something that we can re-build Merlin on top of.

So I'd like to run a quick vote to make sure that what I do
is in line with community consensus. Yes, I'm skipping the
[PROPOSAL] part - just cast the votes and we'll see how it
ends up.

+1 from me, obviously.

/LS

Re: [VOTE] New sandbox project

Posted by Jonathan Hawkes <jh...@adsnm.com>.
> public interface Concern {
>     Expression passOnConcern(Container c, Expression exp);
> }

Would need to be....

public interface Concern {
    Expression passOnConcern(Container c, Object key, Expression exp);
}

:)

Jonathan Hawkes

Re: [VOTE] New sandbox project

Posted by Jonathan Hawkes <jh...@adsnm.com>.
+1 if I had a vote :)

I will be curious to see how you decide to start.  Just off the top of my
head (and using my knowledge of PicoContainer) I would envision something
like...

public interface Concern {
    Expression passOnConcern(Container c, Expression exp);
}

public interface Container {
    void addConcern(Concern c);
    void registerComponent(Class componentClass);
    void registerComponent(Class componentClass, Object key);
    Object getComponent(Object key);
    Object getComponentOfType(Class type);
}

Then a call to registerComponent would create some sort of Expression and
run it through all of the Concern(s).  For example:

public interface Expression {
    Class getType();
    Object getValue();
}

public class SimpleInstantiationExpression {
    private Class klass;
    public SimpleInstantiationExpression(Class klass) {
        this.klass = klass;
    }
    public Class getType() { return klass; }
    public Object getValue() {
        try {
            return klass.newInstance();
        } catch (AllRelevantExceptions are) {
            throw new ReleventException(are);
        }
    }
}

The container impl could create a SimpleInstantiationExpression and all the
Concerns could decorate it as desired to add configuration, logging,
dependency management, etc.  I realize that this is most likely
oversimplified. :)

Avalon-Sandbox/Aspect (was: RE: [VOTE] New sandbox project)

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
Just figured I'd give everyone a chance to object, for whatever
reason.

Anyway, the stuff is at:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-sandbox/aspect/

/LS

Re: [VOTE] New sandbox project

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

RE: [VOTE] New sandbox project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
> IMHO, there is no real need for vote. Sandbox is there to experiment and
> evaluate ideas before we can have opinions or not about them....
> so just go for it.

+1 for that and +1 to the vote just in case.

Re: [VOTE] New sandbox project

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 11 March 2004 02:37, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I'd like to start exploring the "aspect" container architecture
> by writing some code.

IMHO, there is no real need for vote. Sandbox is there to experiment and
evaluate ideas before we can have opinions or not about them....
so just go for it.

Niclas