Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Roland <wg...@ids.de> on 2013/09/05 14:35:35 UTC

How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Hello OSGi-experts,

are there any switches that I can use to optimize the start time of Apache
Felix? (Lazy Activation is not an option for me)

Thanks and Regards

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Sep 6, 2013, at 11:27 AM, Roland <wg...@ids.de> wrote:

> Is it possible to start the framework and the cached bundles concurrently?

No, and yes. If you want to do things concurrently, move any work you're doing in the start() method of the bundle activator to a new thread (or some executor service that maintains a pool of threads).

Greetings, Marcel

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Christopher BROWN-2 wrote
> [...]
> With point 4, I'm guessing you mean that you effectively build bundles by
> extracting classes in wrapped libraries directly into your bundle, as
> opposed to Bundle-Classpath?
> [...]

that's what I mean.

Christopher BROWN-2 wrote
> [...]
> With point 9, another watchout if you use background threads to start
> stuff, especially if you hang on to a reference to the bundle context, is
> to be sure that your code can handle the bundle context becoming invalid.
>  This happens a lot when running unit tests with the framework, when
> starting/stopping the framework fast and frequently.
> [...]

You can handle this by adding a BundleListener. The BundleListener
interrupts the start- and shutdown-hooks if the bundle is going to be
uninstalled. You also can check if the BundleContext is valid
(bundle.getState() == Bundle.ACTIVE) or you can catch and ignore the
Exception. In UnitTests you can use mock-objects. Create a Mock-object of
Type BundleContext and whenever you want to call a methode of BundleContext
you "expect" a predefined ReturnValue.

Regards
Roland

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr>.
Hi Roland,

Regarding some of your suggestions, point 3 and point 10 are what I do, and
are related, because although in general I try to have almost nothing in
the host application (to enable live updates for as much of the product
scope as possible), as the host application has to be able to log startup
(just in case there's a failure when starting the framework), the logging
subsystem is (for me) part of the host.  I use SLF4J with logback, and
export it into the framework with FRAMEWORK_SYSTEMPACKAGES_EXTRA too
(specifically, I don't export logback, just SLF4J and the SLF4J wrappers
for Log4J and Commons Logging, as well as an implementation of the OSGi
logservice).  Furthermore, I implement the Felix logger by delegating onto
SLF4J too.

--
Christopher

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Neil Bartlett wrote
> [...]
>
> It does seem to suggest that resolution time is a factor. I wonder if
> your test harness is capable of testing on Equinox and Knopflerfish as
> well? The comparison could be enlightening. In particular I believe
> that Equinox is able to persist resolution state and therefore might
> start more quickly on the second and subsequent launches.
> [...]

> For additional commands, e-mail:

> users-help@.apache

I also think that resolving and creating wires between bundles consumes
time. It depends on how many thirdparty-bundles are required. I need about
20 libraries. Most of the thirdparty-bundles do not implement a
BundleActivator or register a Service but just export some packages (e.g.
log4j, slf4j, commons.io,...). So, maybe we can save time if we can somehow
store the *wires* in the bundle-cache after the fist startup
(Serialization?), so that they are already / immediately available at a
restart. Or start the bundles fast without resolving and resolve them later.
I'm just thinking out loud.

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Roland <ro...@gmx.de>.
here are my results of the comparison of the OSGi-R4 implementations:

<http://apache-felix.18485.x6.nabble.com/file/n5006870/DiagrammVergleichStartzeit_-_Kopie.png>

I distinguish between a best case and a worst case. The best case is if no
package dependencies exist between the specific bundles. The worst case is
if each bundle depends on one parent bundle and the parents dependencies. I
derived the worst case from the 'Single-Responsible-Principle'. I assume
that each bundle provides one functionality and needs all
low-level-functionality provieded by the parent bundle and its dependencies.
The number of dependencies grows with the number of bundles like triangular
numbers (1, 3, 6, 10,...1275).

All measurements are performed on a System with a PowerPC processor (266MHz,
Single-Core), 128MB RAM and embedded Linux.

The slope of the Apache Felix starttime grows linear and two times faster
than that of Knopflerfish!
Eclipse Equinox is optimized  for big Applications with hundreds of bundles.
Apache Felix is optimized for very dynamic Applications (frequently
installing or updating bundles at runtime). Knopflerfish starts very fast
and can handle a lot of bundles in an efficient way.

I measured the Data Acquisition rates of a SCADA-System, too: OSGi increases
the number of object-instanciations by a classloader during data acquisition
up to 30% due to the smaller and limited classpathes of the bundles in
comparison to normal java applications (laboratory conditions !!!!!). Under
real conditions, you would not get this result, e.g. if a object pool is
used. OSGi does not affect the data acquisition in a bad manner!

Regards
Roland

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Hi,
I'm working on a rudimental starttime benchmark for Apache Felix, Equinox
and Knopflerfish. I created 50 independent dummy bundles with
BundleActivators. I will post my results after my thesis.
Regards
Roland

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 9/23/13 09:19 , Roland wrote:
> Hello Richard,
> I'm sorry that I did not clearly described it what I mean. Of course I meant
> the latter. "[...] the
> data structure in which capabilities are stored for resolving dependencies.
> "

For that case, the capabilities are effectively stored in hash maps,
yes, but it is more complicated than that since the data structure is
really part of filter evaluation. As filters are evaluated, some
attributes (e.g., package name, bundle symbolic name) hit indexes to
speed up evaluation, so of like normal query evaluation in a database
(just much, much simpler).

> Richard S. Hall wrote
>> [...], it made little difference. [...]
> It's a pity because of the result. But good that you tried it once.

Well, it could be that my approach was too naive. Needless to say, I was
surprised.

-> richard

Re: Which classloader load Fragment(Fragment-Host: system.bundle; extension:=framework), boot classloader?? or system classloader??

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 9/25/13 05:25 , gavin.yao wrote:
> Hi :
>      Which classloader load Fragment(Fragment-Host: system.bundle; extension:=framework), boot classloader?? or system classloader??

I believe this would be the class loader that loaded the framework
classes, which is typically the application class loader.

-> richard

Re: Problem about upgrading of OSGi framework

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
It looks like you deploying a system bundle extension. What is in its
manifest?

-> richard

Posted by "gavin.yao" <ga...@nebutown.com>.
Hi :

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Hello Richard,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 9/23/13 03:19 , Roland wrote:
> Roland wrote
>> [...]It would be nice if the wires also can be cached persistently in some
>> way.
> I'm no Felix-expert and do not know the exact implementation, but I'm
> assuming that Felix creats a hash table of wire-objects to resolve
> dependencies at runtime. Generating wires takes a lot of time. On the way to
> work I had the spontaneous idea that we can implement a lookup table based
> on the principals of the memory management. As the base address we could use
> the bundle ID and for the offset we could use for instance the ASCII code of
> the package name + version or any sum of digits. The advantage would be that
> this kind of table can be dumped very simple in the bundle cache. We do not
> need to generate Wire-objects at startup, this can be done concurrently
> after startup or at the time when they are explicitly requested. I'm just
> thinking out loud.
>
> How do you feel about that?

I'm confused as to whether you are talking about resolved wirings or the
data structure in which capabilities are stored for resolving dependencies.

At one time during my GlassFish days I implemented a quick and dirty
mechanism to persist wires and I didn't notice any huge performance
advantage for a normal resolve. Granted, for a complex resolve it would
make a difference, but in the class of GlassFish with  a couple hundred
bundles and no inconsistencies, it made little difference.

-> richard

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Roland wrote

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
I printed some timestamps to std out before and after Felix.start() and also
in my  last bundles BundleActivator (highest startlevel). The Bundles are
cached and are started automatically. Most of the time (~1/2  up to ~2/3) is
spent for the bundle start / for the resolution! It would be nice if the

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

Am 20.09.2013 um 12:36 schrieb Roland:

> Hi guys!
>
> On my Desktop-PC (Dual Core 3GHz, Windows 7) my application (Felix + ~30
> bundles) startsup within 300ms, but on a PPC440 & Linux System only after 7
> seconds.
>
> Does anyone have similar values​​ on a PPC?

I assume you are talking about IBM's PowerPC ?

Maybe there is more involved in that startup ? You might have to dig more into what goes on on startup. Maybe launching the JVM already takes 5 seconds ? (I don't know)

Regards
Felix

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
I am currently writing my final paper and it affects only a side issue my
work and I really have very little time. But if I have some time left I will
create a test environment, that can be published.

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.
Roland, these are interesting results. Embedding all dependencies in
large bundles has its own set of negative consequences, so even if
this does result in significantly faster starts then it should still
only be considered when startup time is critical.

It does seem to suggest that resolution time is a factor. I wonder if
your test harness is capable of testing on Equinox and Knopflerfish as
well? The comparison could be enlightening. In particular I believe
that Equinox is able to persist resolution state and therefore might
start more quickly on the second and subsequent launches.

Are you able to make the test harness publicly available so others can
replicate the results and try alternative optimisations?

Regards,
Neil

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
maybe.

SCR allows very lazy instantiation of services.  By default, no classes are loaded until a service instance is actually retrieved from a service reference.  If you use a bundle activator at least the bundle activator and any classes it uses will be loaded immediately.

david jencks

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

Am 11.10.2013 um 05:52 schrieb Roland:

> Hi Clement,
> thanks for your reply and the information you provide. This means that I
> should forgo iPOJO and SCR to reduce startup time.

If you are single mindedly looking at startup time, you might potentially be correct. But I seriously doubt this.

Yes, extenders add overhead. But properly done, they actually make it easier to reduce startup time: For example all services in SCR are by default delayed meaning that they are only class-loaded and instantiated when actually used.

It really all depends on how you build your bundles and services and components.

So, for the sake of overall system stability and maintainability, I would strongly suggest to consider whether a low margin startup performance gain is worth the price.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Depends on how much services you have, but iPOJO has an internal event dispatcher improving startup time. The behavior is quite simple. When enabled, iPOJO registers only one service listener and dispatches events to the instances directly. So for the framework, it dispatches the events to only one service listener. The iPOJO internal dispatching can rely on the structure of iPOJO service dependencies.

The benefits of such mechanism are visible only for big configurations dealing with an event storm when they start. Notice also that iPOJO, as SCR and Blueprint, is an 'extender' and thus analyzes bundles when they are starting. This introduce an overhead.

Regards,

Clement

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Neil Bartlett wrote
> I consider it very unlikely that all 50 bundles really need to be
> executing code during the startup of the application.
>
> Are you using Declarative Services? If you publish services using DS
> then they are implicitly lazy, i.e. the instantiation of the bundle
> classloader and the service implementation only happens when the
> service is actually demanded by a consumer.
>
> Neil
>
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Roland &lt;

> wgl@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Richard S. Hall wrote

>>> The main thing you can do is not do a lot of work in your activators. If
>>> you need to do work here, you can use threads so that it can proceed it
>>> parallel with other bundles.
>>
>>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>>
>>> users-help@.apache
>>

>> I'm using startup-hooks in my bundleactivators.
>>

>> I took a some measurements and I can say that starting 50 bundle  takes
>> as
>> much time as the start of the framework, approximately 600ms (windows 7,
>> Intel Core2 duo 3GHz). I wrote my own felix-launcher.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> --

>> For additional commands, e-mail:

> users-help@.apache

> For additional commands, e-mail:

> users-help@.apache

It is not possible to use DS. everywhere. There are few bundles with
BundleActivators. Thus, no Lazy Acitivation.

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel McGreal <da...@redbite.com>.
I apologise for the misdirection, but unless you have other constraints on any of Felix's countless advantages, you could potentially investigate using Equinox. I perceive it to start faster than Felix.

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Karl Pauls wrote
> ... Do you start up from a populated cache?...
> --
> Karl Pauls

> karlpauls@

> http://twitter.com/karlpauls
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/karlpauls
> https://profiles.google.com/karlpauls

During the first init I generate a fully configured bundle composition in
the felix cache (deploy bundles, register and configure managed services,
a.s.o.). After that I can use the autostart-option of felix which is faster
than the first initialization.

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Maybe you need to give us some more information about what you do. Do you
start up from a populated cache?

regards,

Karl

karlpauls@gmail.com

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Richard S. Hall wrote

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 9/5/13 08:35 , Roland wrote:
> Hello OSGi-experts,
>
> are there any switches that I can use to optimize the start time of Apache
> Felix? (Lazy Activation is not an option for me)

Not really, but first you'd have to know where you are spending your
time. If it is in bundle activators, which is implied by your reference
to lazy activation, then there is nothing the framework can do since
activators is bundle code.

The main thing you can do is not do a lot of work in your activators. If
you need to do work here, you can use threads so that it can proceed it
parallel with other bundles.

If you have some profiling information show that some aspect of
framework startup is taking an excessively long time, then we can look
into it. I know that Felix was used to start GF which had 250 or so
bundles and it didn't take too long. However, as the number of bundles
grows, so will your startup time, especially if all of them have
activators doing work.

Otherwise, you could look into creating specialized launchers that only
deploy bundles as you need them, rather than deploying everything all at
once.

But, again, without concrete numbers of where your time is being spent,
all of this is just guessing.

-> richard

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
I am currently in contact with the developers of log4j2. I'll create a patch
over the weekend, which slims log4j2 to a lightweight bundle with as few
dependencies.

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Sep 6, 2013, at 9:05 AM, Roland <wg...@ids.de> wrote:

> The biggest problem is loading of third-party-bundles. Foremost, the loading
> of log4j2 is slow because this bundle has many dependencies. Although most
> dependencies are declared as optional, I need them to resolve dependencies.

Ditch log4j2 for a smaller logging framework perhaps? :)

Or repackage those bundles so you can exclude optional dependencies (and strip other stuff you're not using).

Greetings, Marcel

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
Neither JVM-option -client, nor the Bundle-ActivationPolicy lazy has
significant speed advantages. I stopping here and I focus my activity on
reducing dependencies.

Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roland,

Have you looked at optimizing the startup of the JVM itself? Such as with
the -client option?
Specific VMs may have further options to tune this...

Cheers,

David

Posted by Roland <wg...@ids.de>.
I'm playing around with "felix.cache.bufsize". Does anyone have experience
with this? Regards