Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Wes Hegge <wh...@charter.net> on 2003/01/13 22:54:32 UTC

[users@httpd] ASP pages on Apache and Linux

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what ot use to do ASP
on APache and RedHat?  I have found 2 possible options so
far: Sun ONE Active Server Pages and Apache::ASP.  Any
opinons on which is a better implementation?

Wes Hegge

Re: [users@httpd] ASP pages on Apache and Linux

Posted by Mark McCulligh <mm...@visualtech.ca>.
I have used Sun ONE Active Server Pages (formally ChiliSoft) and it works
great.  It has a lot of features that normal ASP on IIS does not have, like
a Upload function and I like its email function better then normal ASP.

The ASP code you write on your IIS server work great, in most cases no
changes.  I developed my ASP page on a Windows 2000 server and upload them
to a Solaris web server without any real changes if you know the difference
up front.

Mark.

Posted by Emad Fanous <em...@citysearch.com>.
* Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com> [2003-01-13 16:59:21]:
> Hi Emad,
>
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:22:09PM -0800, Emad Fanous wrote:
> > Don't think anyone mentioned this one...haven't tried it so don't know just how "alpha code" it is:
> >
> > http://modgb.sourceforge.net/
>
> I stand corrected!  I'd never seen this before.
>
> A few comments - the website (at least) has not been updated in several
> months, and the supported ASP version is trailing that implemented in the
> commercial alternatives.  Of course an open source project of this nature
> will always be forced to trail behind alternatives that can afford to
> purchases source licenses from Microsoft.
You get what you pay for. :-)

> Thanks for the heads-up
No problem.

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
Hi Emad,

Posted by Emad Fanous <em...@citysearch.com>.
Don't think anyone mentioned this one...haven't tried it so don't know just how "alpha code" it is:

http://modgb.sourceforge.net/
<snip>
mod_gb is a Apache module which aims to provide an ASP/VBScript compatibility layer for your web-pages. In other words it allows you to run with none or little modifications your ASP pages on your Linux server running Apache.
</snip>

Thanks
Emad

* Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com> [2003-01-13 16:15:17]:

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:56:38PM -0500, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> Do you know about any OpenSource project like that?

No - if you want ASP using VBScript, you will need to use a commercial
product.  I can't imagine that this will change any time soon.

Cheers,

Zac

RE: [users@httpd] ASP pages on Apache and Linux

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.

Posted by Alan Murrell <si...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Wes,

--- Wes Hegge <wh...@charter.net> wrote:
> far: Sun ONE Active Server Pages and Apache::ASP.

I am not familiar with "Sun ONE Active Server Pages",
so I am unable to offer an opinion (is this ChiliSoft
ASP?... I thought I read some time ago they were
bought, but I am not sure by whom)

As for Apache::ASP, this is a Perl implementation, and
as such, will only execute ASP code if it is written
in Perl, as opposed to the more common VBScript.  If
you go with this solutions, and your users are aware
of this limitation and write their ASP pages in Perl,
then you shouldn't have any problems, I believe.

HTH,

Alan Murrell <si...@yahoo.com>

RE: [users@httpd] ASP pages on Apache and Linux

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.