Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/28 11:31:20 UTC

Proposed ESME URL redesign

Hi all,

[Note, this has been sitting in draft format for forever. So I'm just
cut-and-pasting it and throwing it out to everyone.]

I've been doing a fair amount of work on the front-end templates lately and
I've noticed that the template and URL organization isn't currently very
consistent. I think this has just happened over the last year or so as we've
added and changed things without a view to consistency, but maybe I'm
missing a greater organizational scheme here. If so, let me know :-)

I'd like to propose making the following changes to the URL scheme:

Current (mostly right, I think):

/info_view/public
/info_view/users
/info_view/streams
/info_view/contacts
/user/USERNAME (remapped from info_view/user)
/profile_view/edit
/track_view/
/action_vew/
/auth_view/
/pools_view/
/conversation/CONVID  (remapped from info_view/conversation)
/tag/TAGNAME
/logout
/info_view/search?SEARCHQUERY

/api (original api)
/api2 (new api)
/twitter (twitter api)

Proposed:

/public
/users
/users/USERNAME
/streams
/contacts (do we even need this any more?)
/profile
/tracks
/actions
/tokens
/pools
/conversations/CONVID
/tags/TAGNAME
/logout
/search?SEARCHQUERY

... plus API stuff, which would not change.

I'd also like to propose making the following change to template
organization:

Reorganize all the main templates under a single folder, so action_view,
auth_view, pools_view, profile_view, and track_view folders would go away.
We would change the name of the info_view folder to something like "views",
though this would never show up in the URL scheme, so we could stick with
"info_view".

Move signup.html into the new "views" folder.

My questions for everyone:

Does this all sound OK?
Any suggestions how it could be improved or anything I'm missing that is a
reason we shouldn't do this?
If we do it, what release should it go in to?
If necessary, we can set up rewrite rules so that old bookmarks still work.
Does anyone think this would be necessary?

If everyone is more or less OK with it, I'll create a ticket and then get to
work on it as time allows.

Thanks,
Ethan

Re: Proposed ESME URL redesign

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Cool :-)

Regarding the contacts page, I just think it is weird that if I click on "My
Contacts" or on my name "Ethan Jewett" next the picture, I get almost
exactly the same page. The only difference is that the user page has a
messages pane.

My mild preference would be to just get rid of the "My Contacts" page, but
maybe some people think it is important? Different applications take a
different view of the importance of this sort of functionality. Yammer makes
it very difficult to see a list of people you are following and people who
are following you. Twitter splashes it up on the main page. I'm not
particularly committed to either idea.

Ethan

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Ah ha! Excellent! :-)

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <le...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Vladimir Ivanov

Re: Proposed ESME URL redesign

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vladimir,

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <le...@gmail.com>.
Ethan,

--
Best Regards,
Vladimir Ivanov

Re: Proposed ESME URL redesign

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Hey Vladimir,

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ethan!

Sounds reasonable for me. I have one question:

Take, for example, public page. It is defined in Boot.scala
as: Menu(Loc("public", List("info_view", "public")... and it correspondes to

--
Best Regards,
Vladimir Ivanov