Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yogesh Dhari <yo...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/05 12:14:34 UTC

cannot parse 'name' as hex bytes

Hi all,

I am very new to Cassandra,

I am using version-1.1.7 and followed the steps on single node machine
mention in GETTING STARTED.

I have created key-space named as Demo and then tried to create column
family names Work as

[default@DEMO] create column family Work ;
5c85706f-87fe-38f1-b23f-c6180e45d178
Waiting for schema agreement...
... schemas agree across the cluster

Now if I do..

[default@DEMO] set Work[1234][name] = scott ;

I got this error.

org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.MarshalException: cannot parse 'name' as
hex bytes

Please help and suggest.

Thanks & Regards
Yogesh Kumar

Re: cannot parse 'name' as hex bytes

Posted by Edward Sargisson <ed...@globalrelay.net>.
You're not casting the types.
Cassandra stores everything as bytes. You either need to set the
key_validation_class to UTF8Type or use the utf8() function to convert.

http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/dml/using_cli