Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com> on 2013/05/24 00:38:45 UTC

Convention on UUID column

Hi there,

During API refactoring efforts, Rohit and I run into several issues due to empty UUID column for existing DB entries. Since UUID was introduced later in 3.0.x, we have to always conditionally handle existing customers with empty UUID columns for different entities, causing much headache for various upgrade cases. To make sure that we have a consistent upgrade base for all 4.1 customers later, in schema-410to420.sql, we have added sql scripts to populate UUID column of all pre-4.1 schema tables with values from their ID column if UUID column is NULL. To make this work properly, we require that all UUID columns should be populated with values when you add new data into both pre-4.1 schema or post-4.1 schema. I just noticed that this assumption may not be well known to community, since I am seeing this sql in schema-410to420.sql:

INSERT INTO `cloud`.`vm_template` (id, unique_name, name, public, created, type, hvm, bits, account_id, url, checksum, enable_password, display_text, format, guest_os_id, featured, cross_zones, hypervisor_type)

     VALUES (10, 'routing-10', 'SystemVM Template (LXC)', 0, now(), 'SYSTEM', 0, 64, 1, 'http://download.cloud.com/templates/acton/acton-systemvm-02062012.qcow2.bz2', '2755de1f9ef2ce4d6f2bee2efbb4da92', 0, 'SystemVM Template (LXC)', 'QCOW2', 15, 0, 1, 'LXC');

Instead, this should be modified as:

INSERT INTO `cloud`.`vm_template` (id, uuid, unique_name, name, public, created, type, hvm, bits, account_id, url, checksum, enable_password, display_text, format, guest_os_id, featured, cross_zones, hypervisor_type)

     VALUES (10, UUID(), 'routing-10', 'SystemVM Template (LXC)', 0, now(), 'SYSTEM', 0, 64, 1, 'http://download.cloud.com/templates/acton/acton-systemvm-02062012.qcow2.bz2', '2755de1f9ef2ce4d6f2bee2efbb4da92', 0, 'SystemVM Template (LXC)', 'QCOW2', 15, 0, 1, 'LXC');

I have made this fix in master, but want to raise this topic to get community's attention on this.

Thanks
-min

Re: Convention on UUID column

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com> wrote:

> +1 on enforcing it through db constraints. Create a JIRA ticket
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-2676 to track this issue.

+1 enforce db constraints. May be have an options/feature in dbcreator to
enforce this check and populate in case it's missing or wrong.

Cheers.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.
Agreed with Koushik. Now that the UUId is going to be populated for every
table lets keep it as not null else we will keep running into these issues.

Also whats the reason for populating the UUID column with ID ? Is it for
clients who have hardcoded values for system vms, service offerings etc.
or do we really break some backward compatibility ? I would have still
preferred populating it with UUID else  you call the api with Ids (for
preexisting resources) and UUIds which is confusing. Also since UUIds are
unique across the board we wouldn't have to keep folder structures like
template/account_id/template_id or snapshots/volume_id etc. This is just
an example.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.