Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Huynh Bao-E11524 <ba...@motorola.com> on 2006/12/04 08:23:47 UTC

Ignorable white space invoking characters method

Hi,

My ignorable white spaces are invoking the characters method instead of
ignorableWhitespace.  I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I
went back to Sun's tutorial on SaxParser.  I used the exact code given
by the tutorial but still the ignorable white spaces are invoking the
characters method.

Here are links to the code I used:
Java code -
http://java.sun.com/webservices/jaxp/dist/1.1/docs/tutorial/sax/work/Ech
o08.java
XML for input -
http://java.sun.com/webservices/jaxp/dist/1.1/docs/tutorial/sax/samples/
slideSample05.xml
DTD for XML -
http://java.sun.com/webservices/jaxp/dist/1.1/docs/tutorial/sax/samples/
slideshow1a-dtd.html

What else could I possibly be doing wrong?  Any hints will be greatly
appreciated.

Thank,
Bao

PS - Environment info:
jre1.5.9.0_09
Eclispe 3.2.1

RE: Ignorable white space invoking characters method

Posted by Huynh Bao-E11524 <ba...@motorola.com>.
Additional Info:

When I add the line factory.setValidating(true), I'm expecting the
parser to give me a warning if I remove the DTD definition for the XML
file.  However, even after removing the line <!DOCTYPE slideshow SYSTEM
"slideshow1a.dtd"> from slideSample05.xml, the program still runs
normally and gives no indication that it expects a DTD.

Please help if you have the time,
Thanks!