Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/02/10 21:55:39 UTC

RE: Configuration mutations. 4 more options -- plz can the vote w ait another couple of days?

<snip>

Hmmm.  The more I think about the issue, the more I'm starting to agree with
Anton here.  Given the current MutableConfiguration interface to build
something like:

<a>
  <b>value1</b>
  <b>value2</b>
</a>

you need either a factory or a concrete Configuration implementation.  In
all other cases, you don't need one.  In other words, to build:

<a>
  <b>value1</b>
  <c>value2</c>
</a>

you don't need the factory or a concrete Configuration implementation.
That's a bit inconsistent.  Rather than further muddle up the
getMutableChild() method, the simplest solution would be to add:

/**
 *  creates a MutableConfiguration node but does add the node to the
 *  the configuration tree
 */
public MutableConfiguration createMutableConfiguration(final String name)
   throws ConfigurationException;

Leo, thoughts?

Also, the getMutableChild() javadocs state:

     * If no child with the given name exists, and <code>autoCreate</code>
     * is <code>true</code>, a new mutable child is created and added to
     * this configuration before being returned.

This is different from the DefaultConfiguration.getChild() method in that
the DefaultConfiguration does NOT add the child to the tree.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653

Re: Configuration mutations. 4 more options -- plz can the vote w ait another couple of days?

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 21:28, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 04:55, Farr, Aaron wrote:
> > Leo, thoughts?
>
> He has expressed his thoughts already in "Idealization was: Yet another IoC
> Article"
>
> <quote author="Leo Sutic">
> I would like to see the MutableConfiguration thread be brought to
> a close. I think that's what I'll be working on 'til the end of
> this year.
> </quote>
>

> Personally, I think like this...
> It is tucked away in framework-impl, so let's LSU get his change there first,
> since it is after all a fairly small change.
> Then we can discuss the bigger overhaul called by Anton, to solve the complete
> picture (which evidentily will take a while), and in the process create the
> more formal framework-spi.
>
> How about that?
>
> Cheers
> Niclas

+1

Oh, I agree completely.  I'm not changing my vote.  I just want to point
out that there is room for improvement and Anton's suggestions have
merit.

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>

RE: Configuration mutations. 4 more options -- plz can the vote w ait another couple of days?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
+1

Sounds reasonable - you guys, Leo and Anton, willing to do that?

Let's just put an end to this trail :-).

Alex

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Farr, Aaron [mailto:Aaron.Farr@am.sony.com]
>
> the simplest solution would be to add:
>
> /**
>  *  creates a MutableConfiguration node but does add the node to the
>  *  the configuration tree
>  */
> public MutableConfiguration createMutableConfiguration(final
> String name)
>    throws ConfigurationException;
>

> Leo, thoughts?

This is something that can be solved in a separate proposal, since it
is a backwards-compatible, fairly minor, change.

I suggest we get this vote through, and then you can type up a proposal
for whatever additional changes it is you want, and then we'll do the
usual discussion, proposal, vote.

/LS