Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/11 06:07:38 UTC

Zeppelin Commnity Meeting Notes (2021/03/09)

Hi Folks,

We had the first community meeting this Tuesday, here's the meeting notes.
If you want to join the discussion, please reply this thread with your
slack account, we will add you to zeppelin slack channel. We welcome any
kind of discussion about Zeppelin, no matter whether you are zeppelin users
or zeppelin developers.
Attendee

        Jeff Zhang (Shanghai)

        Jongyoul Lee (Japan)

        Khalid Huseynow (Seoul)

        Dovi Joel (South Africa)
Agenda

   1.

   Self introduction
   2.

   Why we need to start community sync up meeting
   1.

      Jeff’s obverzervsion: we need to attract more users/developers to the
      community.
      3.

   Suggestion for the community sync up meeting
   1.

      One time per month, one hour each time
      2.

      Discuss the topic in slack channel
      3.

      Code refactoring
      4.

   What do you like about Zeppelin ? What you don’t like about Zeppelin ?

   -

   Pros
   -

      Easy to learn Spark(Scala, python …)
      -

      PySpark is faster than Jupyter
      -

         After you set properly :-)
         -

   Cons
   -

      Hard to understand concepts (shared, scoped, isolated)
      -

         Ask users to hide/remove some features outdated?
         -

      Hard to use Zeppelin
      -

         Lack of tutorials and examples
         -

         VS. Jupyter
         -

            Jupyter has a lot of references
            -

         How to improve
         -

            Zeppelin also provides read-only notebooks
            -

      Difficult to configure in order to use Spark properly
      -

         How to improve
         -

            Provide ways like tooltips to describe something
            -

      UI issues
      -

         Too many paragraphs make slower for whole navigation
         -

         If typing fastly, some disappear!!!
         -

            Even if every user uses a different notebook.
            -

            Maybe websocket issue
            -

         Huge data,