Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2002/07/19 15:04:46 UTC

FW: Together ControlCenter for jakarta projects

What do you think ? Do you think it would be nice to have a free
TogetherCC license so that projects who wish can create UML diagrams as
part of their website docs for example ?

-Vincent

Re: FW: Together ControlCenter for jakarta projects

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Cool.  I support this whole heartedly then (provided the license I sign
is not horrible).  As I understand it
Together runs on linux.  hopefully that version provided will do so.

While I support free software (and anyone will tell you I border on
fanaticism), I have no issue with using
commercial software where there is no good free alternative.  (like for UML)

I understand the lament that it might restrict those who are able to
develop the UML, and share that concern,
but having licenses for at least the committers to the projects would be
agreeable to me.  A nice benefit as well.

-andy

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I'm pretty sure some folks including myself would like this.

For POI we tried using ArgoUML/etc for this but eventually got very
frustrated with it.

Would this be the *useful* version of Together (can it do more than
basic class diagrams) or the same
thing as the 30 day license I can download from the website that
basically just does class diagrams and no
form of interaction diagrams?

If it is the one that can do all the good stuff and isn't limited to 5
classes or something screwy then I'd be
very much interested (I know that sounds like looking a gift horse in
the mouth but I value my disk space --
get a hard drive vendor to sponsor all jarkata committers with SCSI
drives and I'll name my first born after
you).

Thanks,

Andy

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Re: Together ControlCenter for jakarta projects

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:

>>And for value added development tools that do not severely impact the
>>openness of our community, I would
>>encourage them to do so.
>>

>Jeez Andy, don't be so restrictive, encourage Breweries too ..

Oh hell yeah!

To anyone wishing to send me:

1. Clothing
2. Beer - (provided it meets my definition of beer)
3. Wine
4. Single Malt Scotch
5. Tequilla (provided it meets my definition of tequilla)
6. Cool software
7. Hardware

I will add a thank you to my web pages, put my love for you in my
tagline and or wear it when I make public appearances.  And tell
everyone how much I love you :-)  (this obvisouly scales by the quality,
importance, size, perminance, etc of what you send me ;-) )

-Andy

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

At 09:33 19.07.2002 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>On 7/19/02 9:04 AM, "Vincent Massol" <vm...@octo.com> wrote:
>
> > What do you think ? Do you think it would be nice to have a free
> > TogetherCC license so that projects who wish can create UML diagrams as
> > part of their website docs for example ?
>
>Any chance of using an open source tool?
>
>I'm not sure we want to commit to a commercial tool unless all jakarta
>committers get access to that tool, and that as we add more committers, they
>can get a copy as well.

Valid point.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
That is a most excellent idea.  Alternatively, it could be done along
with the access granting procedures if
root is willing.

-Andy

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Like that idea..

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Little known but very cool fact. Thanks Danny.

Will be checking out both products :) [Together/Refactor].

Hen

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Yes please..

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
> From: Vincent Massol [mailto:vmassol@octo.com]
>
> What do you think ? Do you think it would be nice to have a
> free TogetherCC license so that projects who wish can create
> UML diagrams as part of their website docs for example ?

I personally want it.  Here are the points that make ControleCenter
a must have--UML is not top priority:

1) Auto generation of sequence diagrams.  Ever wanted to know
   just how much crap is happining in your servlet to process
   one request?

2) Planning.  UML is good for planning--more than reverse engineering.

3) The code quality metrics.  You get tons of useful (and some not so
   useful) feedback from these reports.  It will tell you if you have
   too much complezity, or other very useful metrics that help with
   the overall quality of code.

4) Programming by patterns.  It will autogenerate most of a pattern
   for you--and allow you to fill in the blanks.  Are the javadoc
   additions needed?  no.  You don't have to use them.

This is what I grew dependant on when I demoed TogetherCC (minus the
patterns support).