Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2007/03/21 18:41:47 UTC

[axis2] Transport naming refactor

Hi all!

Please note/review this change:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=520956

In it I refactored the name of transports (both in and out) to be a
String instead of a QName, for simplicity and speed.  Let me know if
there are any issues with this.  I know I still need to change the docs
to match.

Thanks,
--Glen

Re: [axis2] Transport naming refactor

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
+1.

Thanks
Deepal

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> Given the inability to deprecate smoothly I suggest we take the hit
> and put <blink> tags around this change in the release notes.
>
> Maybe we should put a section titled "Backwards Incompatible Changes"
> (and make sure we explain why they are backwards incompatible).
>
> Big +1 for making both the changes proposed!
>
> Sanjiva.
>
> Glen Daniels wrote:
>
>> Hi Asankha:
>>
>> We can certainly add deprecated methods for the setters and the
>> constructors, but not for getName() (since it would only differ by
>> return type).  That being the case, I figured just take the hit now
>> rather than only having the set half of the API continue to work.
>>
>> Let me know if you think we should add the deprecated setters, though!
>>
>> --Glen
>>
>> Asankha C. Perera wrote:
>>
>>> Glen
>>>
>>> I agree its good overall, but I am a bit concerned about a public
>>> API change if its without deprecation of the previous methods.
>>> Synapse can upgrade our code - but there may be other projects/code
>>> outside that may get broken. Just a concern..
>>>
>>> asankha

Deepal

Re: [axis2] Transport naming refactor

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Glen Daniels wrote:
> Hi Asankha:
>
> We can certainly add deprecated methods for the setters and the
> constructors, but not for getName() (since it would only differ by
> return type).  That being the case, I figured just take the hit now
> rather than only having the set half of the API continue to work.
>
> Let me know if you think we should add the deprecated setters, though!
>
> --Glen
>
> Asankha C. Perera wrote:
>> Glen
>>
>> I agree its good overall, but I am a bit concerned about a public API
>> change if its without deprecation of the previous methods. Synapse can
>> upgrade our code - but there may be other projects/code outside that
>> may get broken. Just a concern..
>>
>> asankha

>>> Funny you should ask... How about I just do the same thing with
>>> Module names (Stringify them) right now and be done with it?

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [axis2] Transport naming refactor

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Deepal!

Deepal Jayasinghe wrote:
>> OK, here's what I'm planning to do as a compromise position here.  Let
>> me know what you think.
>>
>> For now, I'm going to make the Module changes, and put the deprecated
>> setters in for both Transports and Modules, but COMMENTED OUT.
>
> I think we do not need to mark the method as deprecated , just rename
> the method signature.

We should deprecate them because they're going to go away.  I see no
particular need for a setter which just strips the namespace part off a
QName - you can easily do that yourself.  Are you saying you think we
should keep them?

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Glen;

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1.

Sanjiva.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
I'm +1 on this. Do the deprecated setters and most importantly the
deprecated engageModule(QName).

Paul

On 3/21/07, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> Hi Asankha:
>
> We can certainly add deprecated methods for the setters and the
> constructors, but not for getName() (since it would only differ by
> return type).  That being the case, I figured just take the hit now
> rather than only having the set half of the API continue to work.
>
> Let me know if you think we should add the deprecated setters, though!
>
> --Glen
>
> Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> > Glen
> >
> > I agree its good overall, but I am a bit concerned about a public API
> > change if its without deprecation of the previous methods. Synapse can
> > upgrade our code - but there may be other projects/code outside that may
> > get broken. Just a concern..
> >
> > asankha

> >> Funny you should ask... How about I just do the same thing with Module
> >> names (Stringify them) right now and be done with it?

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [axis2] Transport naming refactor