Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2003/01/24 17:04:03 UTC

Flow problems & question

I just started to play with flow; I've read (some) threads on the ML and
I'm slowly catching up. My intention is to give it a try and, if it
works, start using it heavily in an application we have to build
shortly. While at it, I wanted to write, with the fresh mind of a
newcomer, a short tutorial/howto/documentation (which I feel is heavily
missed ;-)).

This said, unfortunately, I'm not even getting the samples to work. I'm
stuck in front of a

TypeError: function WebContinuation() {
[native code]
}
is not a function.
(resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/system.js; line 29)

for the calc example, that used to work until some times ago. This has
been tested with the embedded Jetty (./build.sh run) and a fresh CVS
checkout.

OTOH, I gave a quick look to the object model, and found that there is
no facility for logging. Is that on purpose? Have I heavily overlooked
something?

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.

Re: Build is broken [Was: Re: Flow problems & question]

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>>Thanks Pier: unfortunately still no luck. If anyone wants to try it,
>>just cvs update, ./build.sh run and hit
>>http://127.0.0.1:8888/samples/flow/examples/calc/. I still get that
>>
>>TypeError: function WebContinuation() {
>>[native code]
>>}
>>is not a function.
>>(resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/system.js; line 29)
>

> Ohi...
>
>     I've been able to make Jetty and Continuations work: simple: re-roll
> manually the entire cocoon.war including _ALL_ jars (list of what I have
> configured right now follows), and it'll work beautifully :-)

Great Pier! Thanks for finding this out, and sorry for the late
response: I've been thoughout the last week in a customer bunker with
little or no Internet access. I'll try it out ASAP.

Ciao,

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Stefano Mazzocchi" <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

I'll do that... It's really confusing to have a WAR file which doesn't work!
:-)

    Pier

Re: Build is broken [Was: Re: Flow problems & question]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >you have to specify the
> > -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true option to get the jars in the WEB-INF/lib
> > folder. I don't know why this was done two years ago, perhaps someone
> > remembering why?
>
> I'm +1 for switching to a -Dexclude.webapp.libs=true behaviour. It would
> seem to retain the same features but changing the default behaviour.
> BTW, using -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true would have the same effect, it's
> just not speficying it the would change.

+1 for changing.

Carsten

Re: Build is broken [Was: Re: Flow problems & question]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>you have to specify the
> -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true option to get the jars in the WEB-INF/lib
> folder. I don't know why this was done two years ago, perhaps someone
> remembering why?

I'm +1 for switching to a -Dexclude.webapp.libs=true behaviour. It would
seem to retain the same features but changing the default behaviour.
BTW, using -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true would have the same effect, it's
just not speficying it the would change.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: Build is broken [Was: Re: Flow problems & question]

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

I've assumed that was to exclude webapp stuff from the command line only
use?

>From a users perspective who has been trying to take a fresh look at newbie
friendliness, it would be a great plus to make this simple change in
default. The worst that happens it seems to me is that commandline only
users get extra files that they don't need.

Geoff

RE: Build is broken [Was: Re: Flow problems & question]

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 28/1/03 11:40, "Gianugo Rabellino" <gi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>> "Pier Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Give me five minutes, I just grabbed the new jar and commit it.. Give it a
>>> go with the new one...
>>

>> Gianugo, I just checked in the new stuff, and (in theory) all should be fine
>> for some testing...
>

> Thanks Pier: unfortunately still no luck. If anyone wants to try it,
> just cvs update, ./build.sh run and hit
> http://127.0.0.1:8888/samples/flow/examples/calc/. I still get that
>
> TypeError: function WebContinuation() {
> [native code]
> }
> is not a function.
> (resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/system.js; line 29)

Ohi...

    I've been able to make Jetty and Continuations work: simple: re-roll
manually the entire cocoon.war including _ALL_ jars (list of what I have
configured right now follows), and it'll work beautifully :-)

There's something definitely wrong with both ./build.sh webapp and
./build.sh run (for example, it doesn't copy any JAR in the webapp).

I don't have time to fix it tonight (as I had to put live some modifications
for work), but will tackle it tomorrow if noone gets it first...

Have fun...

    Pier

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>> I believe there's something different in the
>> way that Tomcat and Jetty handles the naming of paths... If you go to
>> /samples (for example) you'll end up being redirected somewhere else...
>>
>> If you deploy your context (for instance) under /cocoon, a request to
>> /cocoon/ will redirect you to /documents/index and NOT to
>> /cocoon/documents/index as it should...
>>
>> I'll do some snooping and check out what the differences are between TC4.1
>> and Jetty, and I'll fix up something later on throughout the day....
>>
>> If anyone got a clue, speak now! :-)
>
> We had worked a bit on it (you will find some info about the results in
> the mailing list archives) and yes, there is something wrong about how
> it's handled (really? ;-)
>
> Redirect problem in Cocoon+Jetty... or is it Tomcat?
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103901774505335&w=2
>
> This is the result of the thread.
> Good work ;-)
>
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> "
> I have finally taken the time to hunt down the latast servlet 2.3
> javadocs on redirects:
> http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.3/javadoc/javax/servlet/http/HttpServle
> tResponse.html#sendRedirect(java.lang.String)
>
> "
> public void sendRedirect(java.lang.String location)
>                   throws java.io.IOException
>
>     Sends a temporary redirect response to the client using the
>     secified redirect location URL. This method can accept
>     relative URLs; the servlet container must convert the
>     relative URL to an absolute URL before sending the response
>     to the client. If the location is relative without a
>     leading '/' the container interprets it as relative to
>     the current request URI. If the location is relative
>     with a leading '/' the container interprets it as
>     relative to the servlet container root.
> "
>
> ->  the servlet container must convert the
>     relative URL to an absolute URL before sending the response
>     to the client.
>
> Seems like it's a Jetty bug then, no?
>
> Since we are using a system that has an environment abstraction, it
> probably would make sense if we did that relative->absolute resolving
> ourselves, no?
> "

That should have actually been fixed within 4.2.6 itself, because now
sendRedirect seems to work... I'll do few tests. I believe that the actual
brokennes is somewhere else (some getSomething)...

Will let you know...

    Pier

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

 >"Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
 >
 >>Good work ;-)
 >

 >Ok, part one of two: I fixed redirections and they seem to work all right
 >now. Problem is that the flow still doesn't work (I'll have to dig
into that
 >in more details, maybe Ovidiu can you give me a couple of clues?)
 >
 >Attached is what I sent to Jetty-DEV, once the patch is included by them,
 >I'll put up a new Jar in CVS (jetty-4.2.6-dev.jar or do you prefer
something
 >like jetty-20030128.jar ???)...

Second name traditionally is preferred.

Vadim

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

"

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Pier Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:

> "Pier Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:
>
>> Give me five minutes, I just grabbed the new jar and commit it.. Give it a
>> go with the new one...
>
> Gianugo, I just checked in the new stuff, and (in theory) all should be fine
> for some testing...

It didn't solve it (DAMN)... I believe there's something different in the

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Gianugo Rabellino" <gi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>>
>> It didn't. Looks like we are in sync perfectly, but I'm still getting
>> that error. Oh well... I'll see what I can do, but I have little or no
>> clue.
>>

> Funny & weird. On Tomcat everything seems to work just fine.
> "Drop&forget" uh? :-/

Hmmm... Version 4.2.4 of Jetty (the one we have in CVS) is known to have
some problems when a context is deployed under / (and that looks like what
could happen from the look of it)...

Give me five minutes, I just grabbed the new jar and commit it.. Give it a
go with the new one...

(Ok, I should have done it yesterday, but my Mac died yesterday night)

    pier

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> It didn't. Looks like we are in sync perfectly, but I'm still getting
> that error. Oh well... I'll see what I can do, but I have little or no
> clue.

Funny & weird. On Tomcat everything seems to work just fine.
"Drop&forget" uh? :-/

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
CTO

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Ugo Cei wrote:
> Gosh. Can you tell me what version you have so that I can try to check
> it out from CVS (and maybe try to understand what happened in between)?

I can't remember the last date I did an update, but I will send you
(off-list) the output of cvs status on the files in the flow directory.
Hope this helps.

	Ugo

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Ugo Cei wrote:
>> I'm stuck in front of a
>>
>> TypeError: function WebContinuation() {
>> [native code]
>> }
>> is not a function.
>> (resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/system.js;
>> line 29)
>>

> I don't get this error in my version, but it's not the latest. Actually,
> I'm reluctant to do a cvs update just now, for fear it might break my
> flows.

Gosh. Can you tell me what version you have so that I can try to check
it out from CVS (and maybe try to understand what happened in between)?

>> OTOH, I gave a quick look to the object model, and found that there is
>> no facility for logging. Is that on purpose? Have I heavily overlooked
>> something?
>
> There is:
>
> log.debug('Nifty debug message');

OK, dumbass hat on. Thanks!

Ciao,

--
Gianugo

Re: Flow problems & question

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> This said, unfortunately, I'm not even getting the samples to work. I'm
> stuck in front of a
>
> TypeError: function WebContinuation() {
> [native code]
> }
> is not a function.
> (resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/system.js; line
> 29)
>
> for the calc example, that used to work until some times ago. This has
> been tested with the embedded Jetty (./build.sh run) and a fresh CVS
> checkout.

I don't get this error in my version, but it's not the latest. Actually,
I'm reluctant to do a cvs update just now, for fear it might break my flows.

> OTOH, I gave a quick look to the object model, and found that there is
> no facility for logging. Is that on purpose? Have I heavily overlooked
> something?

There is:

log.debug('Nifty debug message');

catch(e) { log.error(e); }

Messages are logged to flow.log and also to error.log, if appropriate.
The problem is that logging an exception does not print a stack trace,
which would be invaluable for debugging.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://www.beblogging.com/blog/