Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by John Jay <jo...@frontier.com> on 2015/01/30 17:31:21 UTC

ABC Spelling does not work

"HELP PLEASE"  My ABC Spelling and Grammer "DOES NOT WORK".  I have been repeatedly trying to get help to correct the problem to no avail.  I have 4.1.0.last updated 1/29/15. It did not work before the update and does not work after, F7 shows F7 next to the mis-spelled word.  ABC auto spelling check does not work either, all it does in under line the whole page.

I am in my 80's, and not a computer guru so  PLEASE simple and understandable directions.

This is not my first request for this ABC help - to date no one seems to know what to do in simple terms. All I ever get is an answer a computer guru would not understand.

John Jay

Re: ABC Spelling does not work

Posted by Jon Kurz <we...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Dennis,

I think the Open Office spell check works.  Why I think it does not is when I use F7 or high light the word the whole sentence appears - not just the word in question.   When you move to the desired word all it says is word is not in the dictionary.  This form of spell check is really useless/worthless.
I use to highlight the word or use F7 and if misspelled it would recommend a correct spelling for the word - which it no longer does.  I did our family tree a couple years ago and this was not only a time saver but also really appreciated.   Simply put - "How in the heck do I get this method of spell check back??"  Yahoo mail highlights misspelled words, I cannot figure out why Open Office cannot.
Unrelated question:  What app do you down load to be able to email "privately" ??
Jon

     On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:45 PM, Jon Kurz <we...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Dennis,Sorry for the delayed respond to your email.1) The ABC tool bar buttons were working up to about 1 1/2  years ago.  I assume this problem started after an              update. 2)  I have a HP computer about 10 years old and I am using Windows XP. 3)  As far as I know I have added no writing tools.  I am using the English version - Open Office 4.1..1 (en-US)                 installation files, modified 1/30/15. 4)  As far  as I know/remember all the original options are still installed and no customizing done.
Thanks for the respond.  Any more question feel free to ask.  Looking forward to working with you.
Jon
At one time I was advised to do the following to correct the problem - - I  have no idea what a login name is or remember the name used 10+ years ago to log into windows.  I guess, in honesty, I have no idea how to proceed to solve my problem with these instructions.  I am a simple hands on person,  not a computer guru.o Close OpenOffice.

o If it is running, close the Quickstarter. Find its icon in the
System Tray (bottom right of screen), right-click it, and select Exit
or Quit or whatever.

o (Outside OpenOffice) go to "My Documents" (Windows Explorer) and navigate to
C:\Documents and Settings\<login-name>\Application Data\OpenOffice\4
- where <login-name> is the name you use to log in to Windows. Note
that "Application Data" is a hidden folder, so you will either have
to enable the display of hidden folders or else type the name in
yourself. One simple way is to get as far as C:\Documents and
Settings\<login-name>, then put the cursor into the Address bar above
the list at the end of the current display, type "\Application Data"
(no quotes) and press Enter. Then you can easily continue to browse
to ...\OpenOffice\4.
o Rename the "user" folder you find there (which contains the actual
profile) in order to disable it. (Alternatively, you could just delete it.)
o Restart OpenOffice, which should create a clean copy of the profile for you.

     On Friday, January 30, 2015 1:20 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org> wrote:

 My understanding of your report is that the ABC toolbar buttons and the F7 function key in OpenOffice Writer do not accomplish what you expect.

 1. Is it correct that these operations were successful at one time in the past and that since you have been updating, they no longer work?  Or has it never worked?

 2. Apache OpenOffice works on many different products and operating systems.  Please provide

 1. What kind of computer you are using.
 2. What the operating system and version are (e.g., Windows XP, Windows 8.1, Macintosh OSX, etc.)

 3. Have you added any writing tools (grammar checker, spell checker) other than those that are installed with your version of Apache OpenOffice?  Are you using the English version of Apache OpenOffice?

 4. When you install Apache OpenOffice do you accept the options that are provided during installation and not change anything?  Or do you customize the installation in some manner?

There is a common technique that often works.  It is called resetting the user profile.  That will have Apache OpenOffice "rediscover" the dictionaries and other settings.  It is sort of a power-user thing.  If you provide the information requested above, we can give you specific steps for doing that on your particular setup.

 - Dennis

PS: You have reached a public mailing list on which volunteers contribute to questions from other users like themselves.  For any follow-up, please reply to users@openoffice.apache.org where expert users can offer further advice and others can learn the solutions to problems.  Advisors on this list do not promise to respond to questions sent directly to their email addresses.  To observe questions and solutions posted to the list, you are welcome to subscribe to users@openoffice.apache.org by sending an e-mail with any subject to users-subscribe@openoffice.apache.org from the mail account where you wish to receive posts made to the  list.
  The OpenOffice Forums have an extensive knowledge base at https://forum.openoffice.org/ that you can browse through as well.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Small correction:

C.8. In the C:\Documents and Settings\<user-id>\Application Data folder window, double-click on the "OpenOffice" folder.  If you do not see such a folder, this is not the correct <user-id>.  Go back to (6) and choose a different one and get back to here.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Thanks Jon,

[...]

 8. In the C:\Documents and Settings\<user-id> folder window, double-click on the "OpenOffice" folder.  If you do not see such a folder, this is not the correct <user-id>.  Go back to (6) and choose a different one and get back to here.

Posted by Wade Smart <wa...@gmail.com>.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> wrote:
> On 1/30/2015 11:31 AM, John Jay wrote:
>>
>> "HELP PLEASE"  My ABC Spelling and Grammer "DOES NOT WORK".  I have been
>> repeatedly trying to get help to correct the problem to no avail.  I have
>> 4.1.0.last updated 1/29/15. It did not work before the update and does not
>> work after, F7 shows F7 next to the mis-spelled word.  ABC auto spelling
>> check does not work either, all it does in under line the whole page.
>>
>> I am in my 80's, and not a computer guru so  PLEASE simple and
>> understandable directions.
>>
>> This is not my first request for this ABC help - to date no one seems to
>> know what to do in simple terms. All I ever get is an answer a computer guru
>> would not understand.
>>
>> John Jay
>

> Hey John,
>
> I just turned 80 today (yea for me, never thought I'd make it).
>
> What do you mean by "ABC"?  is that some sort or an app?  The only thing I'm
> aware of on AOO is under Options -> Check Spelling. When all the words are
> underlined in red, it can mean a mismatch in your dictionary, but usually it
> means that you need to delete or rename your user profile.  If I recall
> correctly, you need to do this with AOO closed, otherwise it will recreate
> it in its current form as it closes.  If you delete it while AOO is closed,
> when you reopen AOO it will recreate the file from scratch.  You will then
> need to re-enter some basic information, but your dictionary should then
> function properly.
>
> Dale Erwin

Top of the application, right of the printer icons you see ABC.
Its the spell check. He apparently is having trouble with it working.

Re: ABC Spelling does not work

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
John Jay wrote:
> "HELP PLEASE"  My ABC Spelling and Grammer "DOES NOT WORK".  I have
> been repeatedly trying to get help to correct the problem to no
> avail.  I have 4.1.0.last updated 1/29/15. It did not work before the
> update and does not work after, F7 shows F7 next to the mis-spelled
> word.  ABC auto spelling check does not work either, all it does in
> under line the whole page.
>
> I am in my 80's, and not a computer guru so  PLEASE simple and
> understandable directions.
>
> This is not my first request for this ABC help - to date no one seems
> to know what to do in simple terms. All I ever get is an answer a
> computer guru would not understand.
>
> John Jay

John;

This is usually caused by corruption in the User Profile and can be
fixed by resetting the Profile. For details on doing this see the
following tutorial in the User Forum:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426#p58403.

Regards
Keith

Re: ABC Spelling does not work

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
On 1/30/2015 10:31 AM, John Jay wrote:
> "HELP PLEASE"  My ABC Spelling and Grammer "DOES NOT WORK".  I have been repeatedly trying to get help to correct the problem to no avail.  I have 4.1.0.last updated 1/29/15. It did not work before the update and does not work after, F7 shows F7 next to the mis-spelled word.  ABC auto spelling check does not work either, all it does in under line the whole page.
>
> I am in my 80's, and not a computer guru so  PLEASE simple and understandable directions.
>
> This is not my first request for this ABC help - to date no one seems to know what to do in simple terms. All I ever get is an answer a computer guru would not understand.
>
> John Jay
I'm a year short of 80 myself.  What is "ABC  Spelling & Grammar"?  i/s
/that something you're seeing in Apache Open Office Writer?  Where?  I
don't find it under Tools, and I don't find it in Help.

---

Re: ABC Spelling does not work

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
All,

This problem comes up quite often and has all to do with the user profile.
I was checking the bugs database and found  a related bug 120463
<https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=120463> this bug has only
priority 3 and no votes.
If all of you login to the bug database and vote we will get less
support request on this email list.