Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Marc A. Donis" <ma...@runbox.com> on 2007/09/23 22:44:17 UTC

creating components with Tapestry 5

Hi everyone,

First off, I am new to Tapestry, although I've been doing WebObjects for about 8 years, so the I'm hoping the transition won't be too painful.  I've chosen to work with Tapestry 5 since it seems like quite a signifiicant evolution from the previous version, but I'm having some difficulty finding resoureces.  I've done the excellent Tapestry 5 tutorial, but I need much more input!  Can anybody point me to some useful places.  I am especially interested in words of wisdom regarding use of Tapestry and Cayenne together (which I am also learning).

My current issue is trying to understand how to create a page wrapper component (or any sort of component, actually) in Tapestry 5 -- something like the old WOComponentContent, which I know and love.

tia,
Marc

Re: creating components with Tapestry 5

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 2:30 AM, mad7777 <ma...@runbox.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Howard, that seems to have been the issue.  I moved Layout.tml to
> /src/main/resources/org/apache/tapestry5/tutorial/components, and now
> everything works beautifully.  Is this the right place?
>
> An annotation would be nice, but also might I suggest a less cryptic error
> message for components which do not have this annotation, something like
> "Layout.tml not found in <paths searched>".

It's perfectly legit for a component to not have a template, or for a
component to have a template and render partially in code, or to
inherit its template from a base class, or for a component to not
render anything but still be useful (!).

> Thanks again,
> Marc
>

> Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>>
>> Tapestry couldn't find your component's template and was forced to
>> assume it didn't exist.  I'm beginning to wonder if we need an
>> annotation for components that don't have a template, since this can
>> be a bastard for newbies to track down.
>>

>> Component templates are stored on the classpath, with the associated
>> .class file; i..e, src/main/resources.  In addition, you must match
>> the name of the Java class to the name of the template filed
>> (MyComponent.java --> MyComponent.tml).
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM, mad7777 <ma...@runbox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> I hate to ask the same question twice.  I did actually have this working
>>> with a previous version of T5, but in 5.0.15, the <body> tag is failing,
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> Render queue error in Text[ toto ]: This markup writer does not have a
>>> current element. The current element is established with the first call
>>> element() and is maintained across subsequent calls.
>>>

>>> Here is what I have:
>>>
>>> Layout.tml:
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

>>> <t:body/>

>>> Layout.java:
>>>
>>> package org.apache.tapestry5.tutorial.components;
>>>
>>> import net.rbcdexia_is.ds.application.Formatters;
>>>
>>> public class Layout {
>>> }
>>>

>>> Page.tml:
>>>
>>> <t:Layout xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_0_0.xsd">
>>> toto
>>> </t:Layout>
>>>

>>> Page.java:
>>> package org.apache.tapestry5.tutorial.pages;
>>>
>>> public class Page {
>>>
>>> }
>>>

>>> As you can see, there really isn't much to it.  What am I doing wrong?  I
>>> believe I am following the example given in
>>> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-core/guide/templates.html
>>> in
>>> the "Tapestry Elements" section, for the <body> tag, pretty much to the
>>> letter.
>>>

>>> As usual, thanks for all your help,
>>> Marc

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: creating components with Tapestry 5

Posted by mad7777 <ma...@runbox.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Tapestry couldn't find your component's template and was forced to
assume it didn't exist.  I'm beginning to wonder if we need an
annotation for components that don't have a template, since this can
be a bastard for newbies to track down.

Component templates are stored on the classpath, with the associated
.class file; i..e, src/main/resources.  In addition, you must match
the name of the Java class to the name of the template filed
(MyComponent.java --> MyComponent.tml).

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM, mad7777 <ma...@runbox.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I hate to ask the same question twice.  I did actually have this working
> with a previous version of T5, but in 5.0.15, the <body> tag is failing,
> like this:
>
> Render queue error in Text[ toto ]: This markup writer does not have a
> current element. The current element is established with the first call to
> element() and is maintained across subsequent calls.
>

> Here is what I have:
>
> Layout.tml:

> <t:body/>

> Layout.java:
>
> package org.apache.tapestry5.tutorial.components;
>
> import net.rbcdexia_is.ds.application.Formatters;
>
> public class Layout {
> }
>

> Page.tml:
>
> <t:Layout xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_0_0.xsd">
> toto
> </t:Layout>
>

> Page.java:
> package org.apache.tapestry5.tutorial.pages;
>
> public class Page {
>
> }
>

> As you can see, there really isn't much to it.  What am I doing wrong?  I
> believe I am following the example given in
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-core/guide/templates.html in
> the "Tapestry Elements" section, for the <body> tag, pretty much to the
> letter.
>

> As usual, thanks for all your help,
> Marc
>

> mad7777 wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> First off, I am new to Tapestry, although I've been doing WebObjects for
>> about 8 years, so the I'm hoping the transition won't be too painful.
>> I've chosen to work with Tapestry 5 since it seems like quite a
>> signifiicant evolution from the previous version, but I'm having some
>> difficulty finding resoureces.  I've done the excellent Tapestry 5
>> tutorial, but I need much more input!  Can anybody point me to some useful
>> places.  I am especially interested in words of wisdom regarding use of
>> Tapestry and Cayenne together (which I am also learning).
>>
>> My current issue is trying to understand how to create a page wrapper
>> component (or any sort of component, actually) in Tapestry 5 -- something
>> like the old WOComponentContent, which I know and love.
>>
>> tia,
>> Marc

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: creating components with Tapestry 5

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.
i think you misunderstood:

<t:body/>

Posted by mad7777 <ma...@runbox.com>.

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by mad7777 <ma...@runbox.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Marcus Schmidke <Ma...@Schmidke.de>.
Hello Marc,

me, I'm another one seeking for good old WebObjects features in the
post Apple world ... unfortunately, my company is completely on JSF
trip, which I absolutely dislike.

But on to your question:

<t:body /> is WOComponentContent.

That was simple wasn't it? :-)

Marcus.

Posted by Christian Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
WOComponentContent is wonderful, and is actually quite easy to do in
Tapestry.  It's in one of the examples.

You use a body component.

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-core/guide/templates.html

go down to the Tapestry Elements section, and read the examples
there.  It should be immediately familiar.

Christian.

Posted by Erik Vullings <er...@gmail.com>.
Did you already find the Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5HowTos
You should also see some information there about Layout (aka Border)
components that can be used as a Tiles like generic template.

Cheers
Erik

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.
Hi Mad,