Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/11/09 00:49:33 UTC

Re: BugRat Bug Report #361

It's actually quite a bit worse than just getting the /servlet prefix
wrong.  Basically, the web.xml settings are not consulted at all when
generating tomcat-apache.conf.

I do not anticipate that this will be changed any time soon in 3.2.  For
4.0, one of the main reasons that the web connector isn't available yet
is that it will be fully cognizant of the configuration settings in
web.xml, without having to configure anything twice (either manually or
by generating a file like "tomcat-apache.conf").

In the mean time, you can use the generated "tomcat-apache.conf" as a
model for making your own custom version.

Craig McClanahan

RE: BugRat Bug Report #361

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
> I do not anticipate that this will be changed any time soon in 3.2.  For
> 4.0, one of the main reasons that the web connector isn't available yet
> is that it will be fully cognizant of the configuration settings in
> web.xml, without having to configure anything twice (either manually or
> by generating a file like "tomcat-apache.conf").

Just for discussion's sake, I've used Instant ASP! ('!' theirs, not mine)
from Halcyon Software.  It's a servlet engine/container that supports
ASP/VBScript.  The reason I'm mentioning it is because it adds only two
configuration directives to httpd.conf - pointers to two different
properties files, neither of which you have to edit by hand.  There's an
applet-based configuration mechanism that rox0rs.  Lets you setup different
contexts from tabbed dialogs, etc.  I have to say, "hella cool".

Anyways, the point is that you don't have to touch a single configuration
file by hand =)  I wonder how important "window dressing" things like this
are in pushing Tomcat?

- r