Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org> on 2018/09/21 13:40:16 UTC

Python PreCommit broken

Hi,

The Python PreCommit tests are currently broken. Is anybody looking into
this?

Example:
https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Python_Commit/1308/#showFailuresLink
JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-5458

I'm sure this was just an accident. No big deal but let's make sure
PreCommit passes when merging. A broken PreCommit means that we can't
merge any other changes with confidence.

Thanks,
Max

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Charles Chen <cc...@google.com>.
I can speak to the breakage from https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6151:
here, the root cause was that an interface in an unmodified file was
refactored in the interim.

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Ryan Williams <ry...@runsascoded.com>.

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Robert Burke <ro...@frantil.com>.

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Charles Chen <cc...@google.com>.

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Charles Chen <cc...@google.com>.

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com>.

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
Pablo, thanks for taking this up.

It is indeed exciting to see things moving forward on the Python side
(state and timer support as well).

Still, we depend on the green CI status. Just to illustrate how breakage
can negatively affect even folks not immediately working on Python,
consider the portability work: For many changes we need the runner build
(such as Flink) as well as the Python SDK to be in good shape. Either of
the two breaks and the big search begins :)

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Python PreCommit broken

Posted by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com>.
I investigated. This failure comes from the activation of
apache_beam.pipeline_test in Python 3 unit tests.

I have https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6464 out to fix this.

In any case, it's very exciting that we have some unit tests running on Py3
: )