Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/01 10:30:30 UTC

[OT] Handle maven2 multiproject in Eclipse

I'm really eager to see/know how you will handle hivemind maven2
multiproject in Eclipse.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: [OT] Handle maven2 multiproject in Eclipse

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On 2/2/06, Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Downside. you have to put the child projects in the parent folder.
> Which means you can't check out the parent and have the children in
> eclipse without importing them.
>
> You can check out the children individually directly into eclipse as
> long as you have already run a maven install on the parent.
>
> Not perfect but not bad.

Yes, that's the way maven2 eclipse plugin works , and that's is
terrible by my point of view.

You end up having a directory per module in your workspace plus a dir
for the whole process (maybe just to handle docs, scripts, deploy time
config etc) and for the SCM they're all different working copies so if
you put hands here and there you have to update the others, i find it
at least boring and error prone.

I probably could take it as a good practice for a really big dev team
which as strict separation of concern between developers.

But as you I've used maven2 just for a short time (a month or so) and
could see some benefits, so I'll wait to see where it ends.

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
disclaimer: I'm a maven dummy. been mavening for approx 5 days.

I was able to get the two new (no plugin) artifacts for Spindle to
work in Eclipse w/maven2

I created a parent project:

<groupId>net.sf.spindle</groupId>
  <artifactId>spindle-libraries</artifactId>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <name>Root Project for IDE agnostic libraries</name>
  <url>http://spindle.sf.net</url>
  <modules>
    <module>spindle-core</module>
    <module>spindle-parser</module>
  </modules>
</project>

and two children (see modules above)

use Maven2 plugin to setup classpath from local repository.

Downside. you have to put the child projects in the parent folder.
Which means you can't check out the parent and have the children in
eclipse without importing them.

You can check out the children individually directly into eclipse as
long as you have already run a maven install on the parent.

Not perfect but not bad.

Geoff

On 2/1/06, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that, ultimately, we will refactor into multiple mini-projects.
>
> I took a pass at using Maven2 for HiveMind, but am not happy about it.
>  I tried to do convert to Maven2 and refactor the source paths to
> match Maven2's defaults and that was too mcuh.  I'm going to try
> again, perhaps this weekend.  After we get it building and stable, we
> can refactor code the way Maven2 likes it.
>
> On 2/1/06, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm really eager to see/know how you will handle hivemind maven2
> > multiproject in Eclipse.
> >
> > --
> > Massimo
> > http://meridio.blogspot.com

> Howard M. Lewis Ship
> Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

The Spindle guy.          http://spindle.sf.net
Get help with Spindle:

Re: [OT] Handle maven2 multiproject in Eclipse

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I think that, ultimately, we will refactor into multiple mini-projects.

I took a pass at using Maven2 for HiveMind, but am not happy about it.
 I tried to do convert to Maven2 and refactor the source paths to
match Maven2's defaults and that was too mcuh.  I'm going to try
again, perhaps this weekend.  After we get it building and stable, we
can refactor code the way Maven2 likes it.

On 2/1/06, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm really eager to see/know how you will handle hivemind maven2
> multiproject in Eclipse.
>
> --
> Massimo
> http://meridio.blogspot.com