Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Luis Fernando Carmo <lu...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/13 00:48:43 UTC

Album subscriptions and Search

My initial thoughts were to retrieve subscribed albums when they were
requested, and not really store anything locally. But I was wondering
if there are any special requirements by the  "search functionality"
being developed. Do we need to have any information stored locally for
these subscriptions ? If so, what are the requirements on "resyncing"
these subscription information to retrieve new images and remove the
ones deleted from the remote album?

- Luis

Re: Album subscriptions and Search

Posted by Phillipe Ramalho <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think storing remote images in the local repository is a not a very good
idea.Instead we can store some meta data like title,description , image url
etc.Users can "resync" contents automatically (Periodically) and
manually(from admin ui).Only indexes and meta data should be updated during
the "resyncs" but there would still chances that the contents are not in
sync for a while.But thats fine because quering very frequently would kill
the performance.

No, the image itself will not be store, it doesn't even make sense to store
the same image in two different places. When I said image, I should have
said the Image object, where the search component can get all metadata from
and index it for later search.

For the search component, what does the sync actually doesn't matter, it
only needs to be notified whenever it changes, then the search index can be
updated.

"resyncs" but there would still chances that the contents are not in
sync for a while.But thats fine because quering very frequently would kill
the performance.

I think that's fine too, the user needs to decide whenever he wants to sync
the contents, and live with the limits of not syncing it if he chooses not
to.

Regards,
Phillipe Ramalho

--