Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk> on 2017/04/06 10:44:56 UTC

Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Hi Guys,

I have setup cloudstack management and hpyervisor (KVM) on machine 1 and machine 2 respectively. I am successfully able to ping the instances from hypervisor machine (machine 2) but I can't ping it from any of the other  machines on the same subnet. Why is that?  How can I make it work?

Another observation is that I can ping secondary storage and primary storage vm's from any system on the same subnet without any extra configuration. Can I have similar configuration-free setup from virtual instances? If not, what else I have to do to ping/access virtual instances from other machines in the same subnet.

Regards

Adeel

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.
Yes, they are using the same switch

________________________________
Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <ch...@gmail.com>.
If you are using basic zone then you have to add rules to your security
groups to allow traffic between VMs. Everything is denied by default.
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/4.9/networking/security_groups.html

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
I also have one more thing, how is the is the network setting?
You said that the VMs and other physical PCs are in the same network (
10.0.0.0/24). How are these devices connected? Are they using the same
switch?

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.
I also tried adding the Instance VM's using default template but that template is stuck in downloading. I have downloaded 2 other ISO's meanwhile but default template's download is still in progress.

________________________________
Yes, I added the basic zone. I have one server running the management studio and KVM both and another machine running kvm alone.

________________________________
Hmm, it should not be a problem just because you are using a ISO based VM.
Have you tried to instantiate the VM using the CentOS template that comes
with ACS?
These KVM servers you are using, are they real servers or VMs?

If you followed (
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.9/qig.html),
Quick Installation Guide for CentOS 6 — Apache CloudStack ...<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.9/qig.html>
docs.cloudstack.apache.org
High level overview of the process¶ This runbook will focus on building a CloudStack cloud using KVM on CentOS 6.8 with NFS storage on a flat layer-2 network ...

then you have deployed a basic zone.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.
Hi Rafael,

Thanks for reaching out. I am not sure about traffic labeling and rest of the stuff. I have just setup the basic installation using this tutorial http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.9/qig.html and haven't explicitly set anything that is not in the tutorial. About the IP addresses of VM's. Yes, they seem to have a single IP (ifconfig). Please note that I am creating VM's from cenots 6.8 minimal ISO image that I intend to use later as template. Does that create the problem?

Adeel

________________________________

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.
Specifically, by instances I mean the following

[cid:e42b05b3-32a0-4bdd-aeb5-8400b2c3c8ea]

I think, you people call it instance VM's or just VM's.  You can see that my instance VM's has addressed 10.0.0.124 & 10.0.0.141 respectively. I can access or ping them from the host they are running on but I cannot access or ping them from any other machine on the same network i.e 10.0.0.0/24.

On the other hand there are system VMs like Primary storage and secondary storage VM's as shown in figure below.

[cid:112a895d-d500-4b43-8b0f-521b4e47bd9f]

I can access or ping these VM's using their public IP address from any of the systems on the same subnet (be they part of cloudstack installation or not). Now my question is, how I can access/ping my instance VM's from any system in the same subnet i.e 10.0.0.0/24?

Hope that clarifies the question

________________________________
by instances I mean what cloudstack management server calls instances. I have followed the sample guide to install cloudstack management and KVM on two separate machines and got no error during the installation.

________________________________

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16...@lums.edu.pk>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Accessing Virtual Instances from other systems on the same subnet

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
What is your setup?

--
Rafael Weingärtner