Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com> on 2005/08/18 20:08:03 UTC

Hello

Afternoon Group. I have been working on this for some time and Googling
it. So now I am here.

I am migrating to a new server. I am having some weird problems. For
one, I can't seem to get CPAN to update modules... or install the
'r'ecommened updates. Any help with that would rock.

The core issue is...

ModPerl::Registry: Can't locate object method "request" via package
"Apache" at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CGI.pm line 342.!

The location of the error changes as I do misc. work arounds. I have had
no luck with Apache->request and as best I can tell I am still using
mod_perl 1.99 on the new server. I will try to post as much debug data
as I can. Please ask for more info.... if it is needed.

ModPerl::Registry: Can't locate Apache.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 .) at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CGI.pm line 191.!Compilation failed in require at
/home/httpd/vhosts/bandwidthmarket.com/perl/lookuputil line 14.!BEGIN
failed--compilation aborted at
/home/httpd/vhosts/bandwidthmarket.com/perl/lookuputil line 14.!

The script(s) seem to work off the command line. However there are many
errors/warnings. I have posted some below. The error messages have
changed many times as I try to work with the code and cut out
non-working segments. Please excuse the mess of this post. I am very
frusterated.

Use of implicit split to @_ is deprecated at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/BWM.pm
line 83.
lookuputil: "my" variable $sth masks earlier declaration in same scope
at lookuputil line 605.
lookuputil: Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/lookuputil_extras.pl line 91.
^^^ Many of those.
lookuputil: Use of uninitialized value in substitution iterator at
lookuputil line 246.
lookuputil: Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/lookuputil_extras.pl line 38.
^^^ Many of those.

Again, I am sorry for the mess. I don't even know what data would help.
I get so mad that it is not working... I revert to the working code off
the old server and just start over with a completely different approach.

The basics:

This is a search system... The script connects to a database and builds
the user interface to search the database(s). The script also does the
searching/sorting etc. I wouldn't expect that the core code is the
issue. I do use perl Modules to provide some backend functions to the
main script and everything seems fine when I test all the provided
functions/methods/etc.

Jon

Re: Hello

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> The latest versions at this moment are available here:
> http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.11/
> http://search.cpan.org/~gozer/mod_perl-2.0.1/

fwiw, I only recently discovered that search.cpan.org supports a more
generic interface for the most recent version of a module:

  http://search.cpan.org/dist/CGI.pm/
  http://search.cpan.org/dist/mod_perl/

of course, in mod_perl's case it points to 2.0.1, which doesn't help 1.0
users...  but for things like 2.0 and Apache-Test, which fall under various
pause uids depending on the rm, it's a simple way of linking.

just for the interested :)

--Geoff

Re: Hello

Posted by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 12:21 -0600, Jonathan Steffan wrote:
>

>>I have no idea how. I can't use yum... nor can I use the CPAN shell. Any
>>advice on how to complete this?
>>

>Installing things from CPAN is pretty well-covered in the Perl
>documentation, and not just from CPAN shell.
>
>In short, you can download the packages, unpack them, and do the
>standard install steps.  The latest versions at this moment are
>available here:
>http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.11/
>http://search.cpan.org/~gozer/mod_perl-2.0.1/
>
>- Perrin

I have been working with CPAN and seem to be able to run it OK. Here is
what I get when I try to install the Bundle::Apache2 ... as I have tried
this before.

installation problems:
  Bundle::ApacheTest and the following items had problems during recursive
  bundle calls: Crypt::SSLeay

Thanks in advance.

-Jon

Re: Hello

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.

Re: Hello

Posted by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 12:21 -0600, Jonathan Steffan wrote:
>

>>I have no idea how. I can't use yum... nor can I use the CPAN shell. Any
>>advice on how to complete this?
>>

>Installing things from CPAN is pretty well-covered in the Perl
>documentation, and not just from CPAN shell.
>
>In short, you can download the packages, unpack them, and do the
>standard install steps.  The latest versions at this moment are
>available here:
>http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.11/
>http://search.cpan.org/~gozer/mod_perl-2.0.1/
>
>- Perrin

Here is the mod_perl2 install issues

  CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GO/GOZER/mod_perl-2.0.1.tar.gz

no conflicting prior mod_perl version found - good.
************* WARNING *************

  Your Perl is configured to link against libgdbm,
  but libgdbm.so was not found.
  You could just symlink it to /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2.0.0

************* WARNING *************

Next we need to know where the 'apxs' script is located. This script
provides a lot of information about the Apache installation, and makes
it easier to find things on your system. Normally it's located in the
same directory as the 'httpd' executable.

If you don't yet have Apache installed you can build Apache against
the Apache source code, but you won't be able to run the test suite (a
very important step). Therefore you may want to install Apache before
proceeding.

Please provide a full path to 'apxs' executable
(press Enter if you don't have it installed):  /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/apxs

[  error] Unable to open /usr/local/psa/admin/include/ap_release.h: No
such file or directory
[  error] Unable to determine server version, aborting.
[  error] Invalid MP_APXS specified?
Running make test
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

As a note... This system uses Plesk... hence the location of the apxs bin.

-Jon

Re: Hello

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Re: Hello