Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kip Warner <Ki...@thevertigo.com> on 2006/06/23 00:59:02 UTC

svn: This client is too old

Greetings,

svn, version 1.3.2 (r19776)
    compiled Jun 14 2006, 21:37:34

I have recently migrated to Linux and taken working copies of my checkouts from Windows to Linux. Back in Windows, I was using the latest TortoiseSVN nightly build client. I'd tell you which, but that partition is long gone.

Anywho, I am trying to use the svn client from the command line in Linux now, but I get the following error when I try to update...
svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'SomeProject'; please get a newer Subversion client

To the best of my knowledge, this is the latest version of Subversion available?

Seeing that I have made changes to my working copy, and quite a few at that, it is not an option to simply checkout a new copy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Kip Warner
Vertigo

Re: svn: This client is too old

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 6/23/06, Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 05:18, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
> > Yes, but you used a TortoiseSVN nightly build from the unstable 1.4.x branch.
> > The working copy layout changed for this version, so you can't access these
> > working copies with a <= 1.3.x client anymore.
>
> Does this mean everyone using a 1.3.x version is heading for an
> incompatible upgrade?

Yes, 1.4.x makes some changes to the working copy format (not
repository format) and it will upgrade working copies automatically to
the new format.  After the upgrade, clients based on Subversion
libraries 1.3.x and older will not be able to access the working copy
-- they will report the 'need a newer version' error.

DJ

Re: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Rainer Müller <mu...@gmx.de>.
Les Mikesell wrote:
> So the only real problem would be that if you use more than one
> client program you have to update them all to 1.4.x version at the
> same time - and you can't ever go back.  Or do all client
> programs/plugins use the same libraries at some level?

At least under Windows they are linked against a specific version of the
subversion libraries. I have this "problem" at the moment because I switched to
the TortoiseSVN 1.4.x nightly builds and now Subclipse (which is linked against
1.3.x) isn't working anymore with my working copies due to the working copy
layout change.

I don't know if different clients use shared libraries under Linux or Mac OS.

I think it will only be a problem for testers of nightly builds and RCs. After
Subversion 1.4.0 is out, other clients will follow soon and all will be
compatible again.

Rainer

Re: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

   lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Rainer Müller <mu...@gmx.de>.
Kip Warner wrote:
> I have recently migrated to Linux and taken working copies of my checkouts from Windows to Linux. Back in Windows, I was using the latest TortoiseSVN nightly build client. I'd tell you which, but that partition is long gone.
>
> Anywho, I am trying to use the svn client from the command line in Linux now, but I get the following error when I try to update...
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'SomeProject'; please get a newer Subversion client
>
> To the best of my knowledge, this is the latest version of Subversion available?

Yes, but you used a TortoiseSVN nightly build from the unstable 1.4.x branch.
The working copy layout changed for this version, so you can't access these
working copies with a <= 1.3.x client anymore.

> Seeing that I have made changes to my working copy, and quite a few at that, it is not an option to simply checkout a new copy.

Checkout a new working copy with svn 1.3.x and copy your changes into the new
working copy.

Rainer

Re: svn: This client is too old

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 6/22/06, Kip Warner <Ki...@thevertigo.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> svn, version 1.3.2 (r19776)
>     compiled Jun 14 2006, 21:37:34
>
> I have recently migrated to Linux and taken working copies of my checkouts from Windows to Linux. Back in Windows, I was using the latest TortoiseSVN nightly build client. I'd tell you which, but that partition is long gone.
>
> Anywho, I am trying to use the svn client from the command line in Linux now, but I get the following error when I try to update...
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'SomeProject'; please get a newer Subversion client
>
> To the best of my knowledge, this is the latest version of Subversion available?
>
> Seeing that I have made changes to my working copy, and quite a few at that, it is not an option to simply checkout a new copy.

It sounds like the nightly TSVN builds are using the 1.4 RC or maybe
Subversion trunk.

DJ