Posted to user@ant.apache.org by jpyork <jp...@hotmail.com> on 2008/11/10 21:23:38 UTC

smoke testing after ant?

I am just wondering if anyone does automated smoke testing after a build and
if so...what program do they use and do they have ant triggering it?  I am
looking to do a very basic smoke test after my builds and trigger it with
ANT...so maybe a login and then hit some basic pages...that sort of
thing...anyone doing this already?

Re: smoke testing after ant?

Posted by Wascally Wabbit <wa...@earthling.net>.
jpyork wrote:
> I am just wondering if anyone does automated smoke testing after a build and
> if so...what program do they use and do they have ant triggering it?  I am
> looking to do a very basic smoke test after my builds and trigger it with
> ANT...so maybe a login and then hit some basic pages...that sort of
> thing...anyone doing this already?

I actually use Ant and various Ant extensions themselves combined
with various *Unit frameworks. Have also written "monitor hooks"
into web applications (e.g. 'ping' or 'stat') that can be run
using a JSP or servlet that an Ant script can call and evaluate.
Have you looked at items like HttpUnit, FITNesse, etc.? Largely
depends on what kind of "smoke tests" you're doing...

-TheWabbit

Re: smoke testing after ant?

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de>.
jpyork schrieb:
>> some links to get you started =
>>
>> CruiseControl
>> http://luntbuild.javaforge.com/
>>
>> Luntbuild
>> http://luntbuild.javaforge.com/
>>
>> http://confluence.public.thoughtworks.org/display/CC/CI+Feature+Matrix
>>

> I thought these programs were for building, I currently use PMease
> (Luntbuild), but I don't really want to change the whole build
> program...just looking for something to trigger after the build is deployed
> to the app server.  Will the above programs actually login to a web app and
> test say links on pages....

A build can be triggered in several ways, f.e. only manual or when
someone checked in something ... etc.

Why not combine your build with a smoke test right afterwards - that's
the way what tools like CruiseControl are normally used for !?

The bunch of actions that run after the trigger has been pulled is up to
you, f.e. do a build only, do a build and deploy afterwards, do a build,
deploy and publish to sourceforge ...etc.

Regards, Gilbert

Re: smoke testing after ant?

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
> Somehow i missed this part of your posting =
> "Will the above programs actually login to a web app and
> test say links on pages...."

You could also check out watir or selenium for web testing

I've used both and was very happy with watir (as it so simple to get
working) selenium on the other handcomes with a very handy IDE

Kev

RE: smoke testing after ant?

Posted by "Rebhan, Gilbert" <Gi...@huk-coburg.de>.

>> I am just wondering if anyone does automated smoke testing after a build
>> and
>> if so...what program do they use and do they have ant triggering it?  I
>> am
>> looking to do a very basic smoke test after my builds and trigger it with
>> ANT...so maybe a login and then hit some basic pages...that sort of
>> thing...anyone doing this already?
>
> some links to get you started =
>
> CruiseControl
> http://luntbuild.javaforge.com/
>
> Luntbuild
> http://luntbuild.javaforge.com/
>
> http://confluence.public.thoughtworks.org/display/CC/CI+Feature+Matrix

/*
I thought these programs were for building, I currently use PMease
(Luntbuild), but I don't really want to change the whole build
program...just looking for something to trigger after the build is deployed
to the app server.  Will the above programs actually login to a web app and
test say links on pages....
*/

Tools like luntbuild are for more than just building.
I don't meant to change your whole build, just add the
smoke test part as final step of the workflow triggered
by luntbuild.

Somehow i missed this part of your posting =
"Will the above programs actually login to a web app and
test say links on pages...."

Either use WebCanoo as Jan already suggested,
or alternatively Fikin ant task, which has some tasks for
jakarta http client library =
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fikin-ant-tasks

Regards, Gilbert

Re: smoke testing after ant?