Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/01 14:58:12 UTC

web site update

Hi Folks,
Looking at the download page (http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html) I was wondering if it actually wouldn't be better to have all the downloads for one specific release together.
Today we have 2 sections, that is Binaries and Sources. I propose we get rid of those 2 sections and consolidate all the downloads grouped by release under the new section "Available Releases".

If nobody disagree I will go ahead and make this change. New ideas also welcome!

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On May 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
> Let's do it!
>
> I'll start moving some pages around. Do we have a "Geronimo Box"
> without any specific version? (http://geronimo.apache.org/
> downloads.data/geronimo-box-1.1-small.jpg)

No, but we have versions for 1.1, 1.2 and 2.0:

     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/site/trunk/art/

--jason

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On May 2, 2007, at 7:34 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
> Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Also, why are the release notes using closer.cgi?  Its a PITA when
>> you want to go look at these small text files to see what they
>> have to use this mirror redirector, which is intended for larger
>> downloads :-(
>
> The way we download the files is the same way we have been using
> since the very beginning, long before the first face lift. Not sure
> why you bring this up just now !?

Because I finally got annoyed enough to mention it. :-P

>>> I see so you just left one box logo on the downloads page then?
>>> Not the direction I would have hopped... and its still got that
>>> ugly border... :-(
>
> I didn't attach any new images, however I did fix the border
> problem earlier today.

Yay.

> It was you who added the 1.1 image in first place on the download
> page (Mar 26, 2007 14:52 - Jason Dillon: Add the nice box, using
> svn url at the moment, should change). I then changed it with a
> smaller jpg version for faster rendering.

Aight, as long as only one page (ie. the downloads.html) page has the
images attached, and you link the release pages to those images (and
not attach them to the release page) then we are sorted.

> Either way, that image refers to 1.1, that's why I asked for one
> without any version specific info so we can add it to the "general"
> download page. FWIW we are also missing 1.0 and 1.1.1 boxes so we
> can add to each download page the corresponding image.

You'd have to ask Hiram for that.  Personally, I like the version,
and it would be nice to see the box on each release page, as the AMQ
releases are for their 4.1.x stuff.

--jason

Re: web site update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> Also, why are the release notes using closer.cgi?  Its a PITA when you
> want to go look at these small text files to see what they have to use
> this mirror redirector, which is intended for larger downloads :-(

The way we download the files is the same way we have been using since the very beginning, long before the first face lift. Not sure why you bring this up just now !?

> --jason
>

> On May 2, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> I see so you just left one box logo on the downloads page then?  Not
>> the direction I would have hopped... and its still got that ugly
>> border... :-(

I didn't attach any new images, however I did fix the border problem earlier today.

It was you who added the 1.1 image in first place on the download page (Mar 26, 2007 14:52 - Jason Dillon: Add the nice box, using svn url at the moment, should change). I then changed it with a smaller jpg version for faster rendering.

Either way, that image refers to 1.1, that's why I asked for one without any version specific info so we can add it to the "general" download page. FWIW we are also missing 1.0 and 1.1.1 boxes so we can add to each download page the corresponding image.

WRT http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/downloads.data/geronimo-box-1.1-small.jpg I mentioned in the other thread you replied:

<snip>
This is the same box logo which I'm talking about.

I thought I had explained this already...

I give up.  You do it how you want and if you end up copying the image over and over I'll try to explain again later why duplicating is bad.
</snip>

*geronimo-box-1.1-small.jpg* is not the same image as *geronimo-box-1.2-small.jpg* which is not the same image as *geronimo-box-2.0-small.jpg* ..., so what is it I am duplicating?

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Also, why are the release notes using closer.cgi?  Its a PITA when
you want to go look at these small text files to see what they have
to use this mirror redirector, which is intended for larger
downloads :-(

--jason

On May 2, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> I see so you just left one box logo on the downloads page then?
> Not the direction I would have hopped... and its still got that
> ugly border... :-(
>
> --jason
>

> On May 2, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> On May 2, 2007, at 8:09 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>>> just to be sure, what is the "logo" you are talking about?
>>>
>>> I'm talking about the Geronimo boxes as in http://
>>> cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/downloads.data/geronimo-box-1.1-
>>> small.jpg, this is a unique image that is to be used only for the

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: web site update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
just to be sure, what is the "logo" you are talking about?

I'm talking about the Geronimo boxes as in http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/downloads.data/geronimo-box-1.1-small.jpg, this is a unique image that is to be used only for the 1.1 release in this case. Each image would be used only once, I can't see why attaching that unique image file to a unique page is such a bad thing.

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: web site update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Um... why?

Re: web site update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: web site update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: web site update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Let's do it!

Re: web site update

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Re: web site update

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I'd still like to see things organized in the same way that AcitveMQ
does:

     http://activemq.apache.org/download.html

A page per release, w/ jira list, etc.

--jason