Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/29 17:31:52 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Should source changes require [discussion] and/or issue submission?

Apache OpenOffice operates in CTR mode regarding all changes, commits to
svn repositories.

Changes to source, those files integral to the product, in reality, are
almost never made, save for compiler deprecation or option changes, without
either referencing an issue, or, in the case of larger significant changes,
a discussion on dev@openoffice.apache.org.  The absence of an issue or a
discussion for a code change can lead to unnecessary vetoes, a situation no
one wants.

Now, in addition to product source files contained in /trunk, and various
branches, we have logo source files in a web area which are also product
artifacts:

http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/aoo-working/

Better placement for these source files is under discussion. See current
mail thread:
http://markmail.org/message/6aoohsq4jbx5z7us

Last week, two of the original svg files -- files prefixed with:

Apache_OpenOffice_Logo_ChrisR_selected_2013-06

were changed. These changes were  not discussed in advance, nor an issue
submitted for them. Given the events of the day, it was the PMC's decision
to not  veto these changes, but to copy these changed originals to new
files and restore the originals. As with any changes, we welcome any
discussion concerning these changes.

So, back the original topic. Given recent events, do we want to have a
changed policy to require issue submission and/or list discussion before
new commits?

MzK

Success is falling nine times and getting up ten."
                             -- Jon Bon Jovi

Re: [DISCUSSION] Should source changes require [discussion] and/or issue submission?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/31/2013 07:23 PM, schrieb janI:
> On 31 July 2013 17:57, Kay Schenk<ka...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Dave Fisher<da...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> http://www.openoffice.org/**marketing/art/galleries/logos/**aoo-working/
>> <
>>> issue

>>> other
>> e.g.

>>> before

>> website.

>> !!
>>> For
>>>
>>> I'm ok with adding WARNING.txt as appropriate. I can see that there may
>> be
>>> either of two types of warnings.
>>>
>>> Full RTC - where any change including additions should be discussed.
>>>
>>> Adds CTR and updates RTC - where changes to existing artifacts require
>>> discussion.
>>>
>>> The branding tree and release notes are examples of where this is in
>>> affect.
>>>

>> I think this is a sensible approach -- documenting certain areas/entities
>> (release notes were on CWiki this time) that requires more discussion or
>> are specified as RTC by default.
>>
>>   We don't have a "branding" area yet, but we may soon.
>>

> Please dont forget the latest discussions about screenshots. When we define
> "branding" areas and other sensible areas, we should make sure that the
> source files for screenshots etc are incuded.

A branding area is a very good idea. Of course we need 2:

1) for the source code: logos, icons, license, notice, readme etc.
2) for the websites: logos, screenshots, release notes etc.

Here we can define a different handling like RTC and explain this in a
"WARNING.txt" file.

Marcus

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 31 July 2013 17:57, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> > wrote:

> http://www.openoffice.org/**marketing/art/galleries/logos/**aoo-working/
> > <
> > > >>
> http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/aoo-working/>
> > > issue

> > > other
> > e.g.

> have
> > > before

> > website.

> > !!
> > > For
> was
> > >
> > > I'm ok with adding WARNING.txt as appropriate. I can see that there may
> > be
> > > either of two types of warnings.
> > >
> > > Full RTC - where any change including additions should be discussed.
> > >
> > > Adds CTR and updates RTC - where changes to existing artifacts require
> > > discussion.
> > >
> > > The branding tree and release notes are examples of where this is in
> > > affect.
> > >

> > I think this is a sensible approach -- documenting certain areas/entities
> > (release notes were on CWiki this time) that requires more discussion or
> > are specified as RTC by default.
> >
> >  We don't have a "branding" area yet, but we may soon.
> >

> Please dont forget the latest discussions about screenshots. When we define
> "branding" areas and other sensible areas, we should make sure that the
> source files for screenshots etc are incuded.
>
> rgds
> jan I.

good point!  I think we may have a lot to track down.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.