Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by hongbin ma <ma...@apache.org> on 2016/03/01 03:38:05 UTC

Re: Upgrading Guava

also interested in this topic, as we have the similar issue in Kylin :)

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Michael Mior would like to upgrade Guava from 14 to 15 so that we can use
> Cassandra 3.0. But I know some projects (e.g. Hive) depend on earlier
> versions. So, how to please everyone?
>
> I have logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1111 <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1111> and am suggesting
> solving the problem by making Guava what Maven calls a “provided”
> dependency. Do you think that might work?
>
> If this works, we might try the same approach with Jackson. (Jackson is
> currently shaded in Avatica but not relocated.)
>
> Julian

*Bin Mahone | 马洪宾*
Apache Kylin: http://kylin.io
Github: https://github.com/binmahone

Re: Upgrading Guava

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
We just upgraded Drill to Guava 18. We did this by adding this class:

https://github.com/apache/drill/blob/master/contrib/storage-hbase/src/test/java/org/apache/drill/hbase/GuavaPatcher.java

I think it depends on the particular projects but the items patched in that
class solved our issues with using HBase with Guava 18. (Note that these
were only needed for the HBase server, no changes were needed for the HBase
client. Also note that we didn't run a full test suite with Guava on this
but it allowed the launch and query of HBase.)

So the question is really what interfaces each tool is using.