Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Leon Brocard <ac...@astray.com> on 2000/08/23 13:52:44 UTC

Re: Acmemail vs WING (was Re: mod_perl-friendly webmail solutions?)

martin langhoff sent the following bits through the ether:

> Acmemail is nicely documented, and seems 'ready to go' (tempting!),
> although I fear it may not be as configurable as I want. Do you know
> anything about it?

As the main developer of acmemail, I'd actually go for WING - acmemail
is getting there, but recently development has slowed quite a lot. We
have lots of great plans but not really enough time to implement
anything. It currently scales fairly badly too. OTOH the documentation
is very good, and, of course, it's very pretty ;-)

It looked like we were getting critical mass with the number of people
interested in helping development, but no-one has actually contributed
any code recently. It *was* going to make a good case on how open
source development can succeed :-(

Development will start again as soon as yapc::Europe is over and
people get back from holiday, honest. Scalability will really only
happen when I can get some beefy servers to test it on.

btw you could have asked this on the acmemail and WING lists,
surely?

Leon
--
Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/
yapc::Europe - September 22-24 London - http://yapc.org/Europe/

... Error 404: .signature generator ran out of tuits

Re: Acmemail vs WING (was Re: mod_perl-friendly webmail solutions?)

Posted by martin langhoff <ma...@scim.net>.
entropic,

	is WING something I can deploy and configure/customize (like most
webmail solutions) or should code the interface to get it to work?

	does it support imap folders and address books?

martin

Posted by brian moseley <bc...@maz.org>.
On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 entropic@fldna.net wrote:

> Wing scales well.  Its the 'imap' server where you will
> have issues. I use wing with imap-uw and about 50
> 'trusted' users.

what issues will you have with the imap server?

> I'm looking into a 'ldap' email alternative. But haven't
> learned the reality there.  If I find 'ldap email' is
> sane, I'm going to hack Wing's 'maild' for my needs.

*cough*

Re: Acmemail vs WING (was Re: mod_perl-friendly webmail solutions?)

Posted by en...@fldna.net.
On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 02:51:22PM +0100, David Hodgkinson wrote:

  > Leon!
  >
  > > Development will start again as soon as yapc::Europe is over and
  > > people get back from holiday, honest. Scalability will really only
  > > happen when I can get some beefy servers to test it on.
  >
  > What are the scalability issues? I'm looking at the possiblity of
  > doing this for some hundreds of thousands of users. If I could staple
  > WING onto the Template Toolkit AND it scaled, I'd be in hog
  > heaven. What templater are you using?

Wing scales well.  Its the 'imap' server where you will have issues. I use
wing with imap-uw and about 50 'trusted' users.

I'm looking into a 'ldap' email alternative. But haven't learned the reality
there.  If I find 'ldap email' is sane, I'm going to hack Wing's 'maild' for my
needs.

good luck, Wendell

Re: Acmemail vs WING (was Re: mod_perl-friendly webmail solutions?)

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
Leon!

> Development will start again as soon as yapc::Europe is over and
> people get back from holiday, honest. Scalability will really only
> happen when I can get some beefy servers to test it on.

What are the scalability issues? I'm looking at the possiblity of
doing this for some hundreds of thousands of users. If I could staple
WING onto the Template Toolkit AND it scaled, I'd be in hog
heaven. What templater are you using?

Cheers,

--
Dave Hodgkinson,                             http://www.hodgkinson.org