Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sean Champ <s-...@postoffice.pacbell.net> on 2000/04/19 01:21:53 UTC

HTML-tidy, JTidy.HTML (was Re: unformatted XSLT output)

hello.

tom stuart wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing the point, but I'd like to generate clean, controlled
> HTML (or XHTML, preferably) from XML content,

> I'm trying to turn tidy XHTML out of my XSL, which works fine with Xalan -
> when I don't use one of the formatter switches. In Cocoon, though, the
> default (HTML) formatter insists on stripping newlines, turning <br />
> into <br>, and so on.

1) I don't think you're missing any points, there, and I'm glad to know
to be aware of those problems, whenever I finally get some transforms
done here.
   ("author-side parsing" = the result document needs to be legible, on
the server-side)

2)  "HTML-tidy" might be worth-a-download
    (it has some sort of an "asXML" option, for tidyOf.XHTML
	and can reformat HTML to XHTML. )

	http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

   or, for a Java version:

	http://www3.sympatico.ca/ac.quick/jtidy.html

    (which also comes with a JavaBean of it, apparently.
      [as if I know what a "JavaBean" is, yet].
     and has DOM support, though it doesn't say "level 1" or "level 2")

<sidebar>

(it looks like the non-java version of HTML-tidy might benefit from a
slightly modified algorithm on the line-wrappings

 (eg, it has a tendency to split :

       attribute="attValue"

: after the equals-sign, which doesn't look good.)

   ...but maybe this can be fixed with relative ease, on the java
version, if it is also an issue there.)

</sidebar>

==>  might JTidy deserve a spot in the CVS-tree?