Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/01 02:43:58 UTC

Re: Which OSGi plugin to bet on?

On 11/30/06, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> Yes, that is the old plugin. It hasn't been officially killed off, but
> perhaps it is a victim waiting to happen...

... along with the old Confluence site at Safehaus.  Having two sites
and two plugins is confusing.

I agree the newer 'maven-bundle-plugin' based on BND is the way forward.

Enrique

Re[2]: Which OSGi plugin to bet on?

Posted by Peter Kriens <Pe...@aQute.biz>.
>> Transitioning back to maven-bundle-plugin didn't take too long, but I
>> do miss the auto-Activator detection feature, despite its lack of
>> specificity making me uncomfortable at first.
RSH> I like activator detection too and I have asked Peter to include an
RSH> instruction for it too. He complains that auto-detection is not perfect,
RSH> but in many cases it works well so I think we should include it in the
RSH> new plugin too. (Are you listening Peter?)
No :-)

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens

->> richard

Re: Which OSGi plugin to bet on?

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Steven E. Harris wrote:
> "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> writes:
>

>> Perhaps I will add a "deprecated" comment in the title of the old
>> plugin's page and add a reference to the new one.
>>

> That would have saved me plenty of effort. I noticed both plugins, but
> decided that "maven-osgi-plugin" /sounded/ like a newer name than
> "maven-bundle-plugin", and went off and started using the former in
> five different POMs.

Well, I didn't try to deprecate the original plugin at first because I
didn't want to presume to make a decision for the entire community since
the two plugins have quite different approaches. However, now that the
community is moving more toward the new plugin, it makes more sense to
somehow indicate this in the documentation. I have just added a note at
the beginning of the old plugin's documentation.

> Transitioning back to maven-bundle-plugin didn't take too long, but I
> do miss the auto-Activator detection feature, despite its lack of
> specificity making me uncomfortable at first.

I like activator detection too and I have asked Peter to include an
instruction for it too. He complains that auto-detection is not perfect,
but in many cases it works well so I think we should include it in the
new plugin too. (Are you listening Peter?)

-> richard

Re: Which OSGi plugin to bet on?

Posted by "Steven E. Harris" <se...@panix.com>.

--
Steven E. Harris

Re: Which OSGi plugin to bet on?

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
>> Yes, that is the old plugin. It hasn't been officially killed off, but
>> perhaps it is a victim waiting to happen...
>
> ... along with the old Confluence site at Safehaus.  Having two sites
> and two plugins is confusing.

We should for sure nuke the old Confluence site at Safehaus. As far as I
know, everything there was moved to our wiki and I haven't touched that
site in ages.