Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2006/12/31 22:01:52 UTC

Next Release

Hi All,

Well it seems we managed to get our first release out successfully! So I
suppose its time to start thinking about the next release.

I personally would like to see us target our next release to be a
2.0release candidate. Our code is definitely maturing now and I think
we'll be
ready. However, we have some major areas which I see us needing to finish
before then:

   - JAX-WS TCK
   - Tooling Refactor
   - Port XFire Aegis databinding library
   - WS-Security & SecureConversation
   - Async HTTP Server support [1]
   - Async HTTP Client support [2]
   - Support content based routing
   - Soap w/ Attachments
   - HTTP Binding Client

Anyone else have any areas I missed? I would be very wary about doing a
release without any of those items done I think. In addition to those they
are lots of smaller issues we need to think about. For example:

   - Configuration (still haven't heard back on my proposal, will
   kickstart this thread in a bit...)
   - Binding discovery
   - RM and removal of interceptors
   - Code cleanup
   - and a gazillion other JIRA issues

Seeing that its nearly the new year, I think this puts us on track to start
talking about actually doing a release on or around March 1. All depends on
how quickly we work though :-)

Thoughts?

- Dan

1. I believe this will be part of the Jetty 6 port Willem is doing.
2. I need to check and see what the status of the Jetty 6 HTTP client is yet

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

RE: Next Release

Posted by "Lin, Bozhong" <Bo...@iona.com>.
I think doing an RC release on or around of March 1 makes sense. I just navigated through JIRA issues, looks like following items are scheduled for RC release:
- Tooling refactoring
- JAX-WS compliant known issues, one giant step closer to JAX-WS TCK [1]
- Async HTTP server support [2]
- Servlet transport refactoring
- Configuration refactoring
- WCF interop testing - first cut
- Initial WS-Policy support
- Http binding client
- code first cleanup
- Ageis databinding port
- Gazillion bug fixes

Please feel free to add any missing items here. These already consists considerable amount of changes and it would be nice to make an RC for users to have them.

Cheers,
Bo

[1] Since we still haven't got TCK kit, we can aim to complete TCK kit after RC release, and hopefully to get it done by GA release.
[2] I heard Willem is going to send out email about Aysyn HTTP server support issue, this might not be done in time for RC release.

________________________________

- WSDL 2 support - or at the very least enough of it implemented that we can
put it in 2.1 without changing APIs.
- Commons HTTP client support. Right now we don't support the myriad of
authentication schemes needed. Commons HTTP is proven and I think we should
support it (even if it is synchronous...)

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Hi Ted,

On 1/1/07, Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com> wrote:

> Hey, guys, some thoughts for a v.Next release from one who's principally a
> user, not a toolkit developer:

Great!

(*) The samples definitely need some fleshing out, in that most of them come
> from the same perspective (that of WSDL/Contract-first). Not everybody
> writing XML services is going to want to take the hit of learning WSDL, so
> something that demos an approach that's "code-first, contract-aware",
> IMHO,
> is going to go over well.

Yeah, that is definitely a problem at the moment.

(*) How about demos-and/or-support for SOAP-over-SMTP/POP3? And/or
> SOAP-over-UDP? And other transports come to mind, such as Jabber/XMPP.

Mainly thats a time issue at this point. And also no one has asked really.
XFire has an XMPP transport which we haven't ported yet, but I would like to
at some point. Are you seeing a real practical need for any of these?

(*) Small nit: Make SOAP 1.2 the default for java2wsdl. Please. SOAP 1.1 is
> dead (for which we should all give thanks), let's let it rest in peace.

Hmm in the Java and C# world, yeah, SOAP 1.2 is alive and well. I'm not so
sure that all the scripty type languages support the soap 1.2 wsdl
extensions though.

(*) A WS-Eventing implementation would be VERY cool. (Had I the time, I
> would step up here and volunteer to build it, but alas....)

Agreed... Trying, believe me...

(*) I don't currently see any support for WS-Addressing anywhere thus far;
> am I just not looking in the right places, or is this something that
> you're
> waiting on JAX-WSA to finish up before shipping, or....?

We have support for WS-A  under the covers, I don't think its documented
though. Can anyone comment on how to use it from a user perspective?

Feel free to ignore any or all of these, of course. :-)

Feedback is most welcomed.

Regards,

- Dan

Ted Neward

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

RE: Next Release

Posted by Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com>.
Hey, guys, some thoughts for a v.Next release from one who's principally a
user, not a toolkit developer:

(*) The samples definitely need some fleshing out, in that most of them come
from the same perspective (that of WSDL/Contract-first). Not everybody
writing XML services is going to want to take the hit of learning WSDL, so
something that demos an approach that's "code-first, contract-aware", IMHO,
is going to go over well.

(*) How about demos-and/or-support for SOAP-over-SMTP/POP3? And/or
SOAP-over-UDP? And other transports come to mind, such as Jabber/XMPP.

(*) Small nit: Make SOAP 1.2 the default for java2wsdl. Please. SOAP 1.1 is
dead (for which we should all give thanks), let's let it rest in peace.

(*) A WS-Eventing implementation would be VERY cool. (Had I the time, I
would step up here and volunteer to build it, but alas....)

(*) Ditto for WS-Discovery.

(*) I don't currently see any support for WS-Addressing anywhere thus far;
am I just not looking in the right places, or is this something that you're
waiting on JAX-WSA to finish up before shipping, or....?

Feel free to ignore any or all of these, of course. :-)

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com

12:47 PM

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Two things I want to add to my list:
- WSDL 2 support - or at the very least enough of it implemented that we can
put it in 2.1 without changing APIs.
- Commons HTTP client support. Right now we don't support the myriad of
authentication schemes needed. Commons HTTP is proven and I think we should
support it (even if it is synchronous...)

On 12/31/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Well it seems we managed to get our first release out successfully! So I
> suppose its time to start thinking about the next release.
>
> I personally would like to see us target our next release to be a 2.0release candidate. Our code is definitely maturing now and I think we'll be
> ready. However, we have some major areas which I see us needing to finish
> before then:
>
>    - JAX-WS TCK
>    - Tooling Refactor
>    - Port XFire Aegis databinding library
>    - WS-Security & SecureConversation
>    - Async HTTP Server support [1]
>    - Async HTTP Client support [2]
>    - Support content based routing
>    - Soap w/ Attachments
>    - HTTP Binding Client
>
> Anyone else have any areas I missed? I would be very wary about doing a
> release without any of those items done I think. In addition to those they
> are lots of smaller issues we need to think about. For example:
>
>    - Configuration (still haven't heard back on my proposal, will
>    kickstart this thread in a bit...)
>    - Binding discovery
>    - RM and removal of interceptors
>    - Code cleanup
>    - and a gazillion other JIRA issues
>
> Seeing that its nearly the new year, I think this puts us on track to
> start talking about actually doing a release on or around March 1. All
> depends on how quickly we work though :-)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Dan
>
> 1. I believe this will be part of the Jetty 6 port Willem is doing.
> 2. I need to check and see what the status of the Jetty 6 HTTP client is
> yet
>
> --
> Dan Diephouse
> Envoi Solutions