Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by SAMRIDHI <ar...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/24 11:07:46 UTC

Mahout's Flexibility for generating recommendations

I am currently working on system that generated product recommendations like
those on Amazon : "People who bought this also bought this.."

This is how I plan to do it:

Process the data using Mahout and generate recommendations(data is stored in
MySQL),currently item based only.
Now,I want to apply clustering algorithm to make cluster of users and then
apply the association rules subjective to each cluster
My Question is:

Will mahout provide me enough flexibility to tweak with the existing
algorithms according to my needs.If yes,how?

Is there any better alternative like R?

Please Help!

Re: Mahout's Flexibility for generating recommendations

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:57 AM, SAMRIDHI wrote:

> Thanks Ted.Actually,I want to apply the clustering algorithm on users
> [visitors of the client website] and after the users are categorized into
> cluster say Cluster 'A' and Cluster 'B' based on their similarity, apply
> association rules to generate the recommendations specific to each
> cluster.My question was if I can achieve this using Mahout.Hope this
> clarifies my question.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com
Lucene Eurocon 2011: http://www.lucene-eurocon.com

Re: Mahout's Flexibility for generating recommendations

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
You will need to give some more details to get any level of details

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:07 AM, SAMRIDHI <ar...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am currently working on system that generated product recommendations
> like
> those on Amazon : "People who bought this also bought this.."
>
> This is how I plan to do it:
>
> Process the data using Mahout and generate recommendations(data is stored
> in
> MySQL),currently item based only.

That should work fine.

> Now,I want to apply clustering algorithm to make cluster of users and then
> apply the association rules subjective to each cluster

This isn't real clear.  Are you saying that you want to degrade the input
data to recommend items to user clusters?  That usually decreases accuracy
substantially.

Or are you saying that you want to build a feature based recommender using
cluster as a feature?

My Question is:

> Will mahout provide me enough flexibility to tweak with the existing
> algorithms according to my needs.If yes,how?

Almost certainly.

Is there any better alternative like R?

Almost certainly not.